Yeti GOBOX Collection

6.5x284, hhmmm?

I had a 6.5/284 built on purpose in a Remington SA , back in late 90s ( I never intended to shoot more than 120-125gr) I necked down the Winchester 284 brass. It was a flat out wind deying, flat shooting killer of deer/antelope/exotics, especially with the Nosler 120 BT. The 125PT was tough enough I'd use it on elk, though I never did. But I'm not a LR Hunter either, and all my kills were under 320yds. Later on, I tried my safe loads I was using in the WW brass in the "new" Hornady, Norma, Lapua brass and I couldn't get the same speed w/o loosening the primer pockets. But even a bit slower, it was still a great killer. BUT, in that PF SA the last round (or only even) would fly out of the rifle when feeding. It drove me bonkers so I traded it to a guy who didn't care. :)

From my understanding the 6.5-284 is a great cartridge, but apparently there are 2 different chamber specs for it, one is a Norma spec and the other is not. Hence from my understanding, this is the reason Hornady came out with 6.5 PRC , basically a modern & standardized version of the 6.5-284.

From my understanding the 6.5-284 is a great cartridge, but apparently there are 2 different chamber specs for it, one is a Norma spec and the other is not. Hence from my understanding, this is the reason Hornady came out with 6.5 PRC , basically a modern & standardized version of the 6.5-284.

Before Norma standardized it, it was a wildcat that was made by necking down 284Win brass to .264”. There was no spec. Norma brought the cartridge out and standardized it under CIP. Recently they got it standardized under SAAMI as well. They intended for it to be used for long range competition much like the 6BR Norma, so they throated it for long bullets and used a 1.5 degree lead angle .The 6.5-284Norma has a base to shoulder measurement that is .005” shorter than a .284Win. I don’t know what the most common dimensions were before it was standardized, but it doesn’t matter because a wildcat could measure just about anything regardless of what you name it.

The 6.5PRC is fatter and shorter than the 6.5-284N and will work better in a short action, but requires a magnum boltface.

Before Norma standardized it, it was a wildcat that was made by necking down 284Win brass to .264”. There was no spec. Norma brought the cartridge out and standardized it under CIP. Recently they got it standardized under SAAMI as well. They intended for it to be used for long range competition much like the 6BR Norma, so they throated it for long bullets and used a 1.5 degree lead angle .The 6.5-284Norma has a base to shoulder measurement that is .005” shorter than a .284Win. I don’t know what the most common dimensions were before it was standardized, but it doesn’t matter because a wildcat could measure just about anything regardless of what you name it.

The 6.5PRC is fatter and shorter than the 6.5-284N and will work better in a short action, but requires a magnum boltface.

Either case tho could probably be made to fit in either chamber.

I love my 6.5x284. It is a Savage 116 and has become my go-to rifle for most any hunting. We have taken several antelope, Deer and Elk with it. I am constantly amazed how effective this cartridge is at putting critters on the ground. I like it so well that I recently picked up another new Savage 116 in 6.5x284 off Gunbroker.

Either case tho could probably be made to fit in either chamber.

Generally yes, but if you have a chamber that was setup with a base to shoulder measurement that was equal to that of the .284Win(which was probably a common way to have your custom reamer ground before there was an official standard) and tried to use factory .284N ammo in it, you could be looking at a dangerous headspace situation. Go and no-go gauges are around .005”-.006” apart, so .005” is getting out there. It would be expected for a chamber to be between go and no go, so if the gun you’re looking at doesn’t say 6.5-284 Norma, you need to have a some fired cases to measure(with a comparator) and compare to the standard to see what you have....or set the barrel back a thread or two and rechamber with a 6.5-284Norma reamer.

Generally yes, but if you have a chamber that was setup with a base to shoulder measurement that was equal to that of the .284Win(which was probably a common way to have your custom reamer ground before there was an official standard) and tried to use factory .284N ammo in it, you could be looking at a dangerous headspace situation. Go and no-go gauges are around .005”-.006” apart, so .005” is getting out there. It would be expected for a chamber to be between go and no go, so if the gun you’re looking at doesn’t say 6.5-284 Norma, you need to have a some fired cases to measure(with a comparator) and compare to the standard to see what you have....or set the barrel back a thread or two and rechamber with a 6.5-284Norma reamer.

Or just fire form your cases with the bullet touching or lightly jammed. In one case you'd need to move the shoulder forward, in the other you'd move it back. Sorta like trying to use .270 Win and .280 Rem cases interchangeably. Easier to blow forward obviously. I wouldn't recommend doing anything like that unless you're experienced and know what you're doing. Better to just use the Norma version since that seems to be the current standard.

OTOH the venerable old 6.5-06 has different throating than the 6.5-06 A Square. I think that's the only difference.

Or just fire form your cases with the bullet touching or lightly jammed. In one case you'd need to move the shoulder forward, in the other you'd move it back. Sorta like trying to use .270 Win and .280 Rem cases interchangeably. Easier to blow forward obviously. I wouldn't recommend doing anything like that unless you're experienced and know what you're doing. Better to just use the Norma version since that seems to be the current standard.

That’ been proven not to work. Feel free to blow your cases in half if you want to.

It’s better to bump the long case back in a die. If you want to move a shoulder forward safely you need to neck up then back down(or starting with .284Win you’re already up) then size down to the proper headspace dimension leaving a false shoulder.

By far one of my favorite calibers in my cabinet. Factory ammo is tough to get. You’re probably limited to nosler and hsm. But if you can load for it the possibilities are great

By far one of my favorite calibers in my cabinet. Factory ammo is tough to get. You’re probably limited to nosler and hsm. But if you can load for it the possibilities are great

Do Norma and Berger not offer ammo?

That’ been proven not to work. Feel free to blow your cases in half if you want to.

It’s better to bump the long case back in a die. If you want to move a shoulder forward safely you need to neck up then back down(or starting with .284Win you’re already up) then size down to the proper headspace dimension leaving a false shoulder.

I call BS. I've fire formed hundreds of 6.5-06 AI cases from 6.5-06 with stout loads and the bullet lightly jammed in the rifling and never lost even one case.

I call BS. I've fire formed hundreds of 6.5-06 AI cases from 6.5-06 with stout loads and the bullet lightly jammed in the rifling and never lost even one case.

Because a 6.5-06AI chamber should have a base to neck/shoulder junction measurement equal to or shorter than a 6.5-06 case. That means there is no headspace issue. AI cartridges headspace on the chamber at the neck/shoulder junction of their parent cartridge. PO recommended that a gunsmith setup headspace to crush a parent case by a few thousandths, but some reamers are spec’d to have the same measurement at the neck/shoulder junction as their parents. That is VERY different from the case actually being .005” short(chamber .005” long) PO did recommend jamming bullets hard into the lands, but that has since been proving not to matter.

I’ve fire formed an awful lot of AIs without false shoulders as well. They’re not needed for an AI when using proper parent brass. A false shoulder is absolutely necessary for safely forming a Dasher or BRX from BR brass. Same goes for other forming that moves the ENTIRE shoulder forward rather than just changing the angle.

Last edited:
Berger does not.

That said, I've VERY good luck with their 260 Rem ammo...

That’s a shame. It’s an obvious winner for their target audience. It may be related to it being a Norma cartridge and Berger being owned by Nammo, but you’d think they could get over that. They(Nammo) make brass for it. Maybe it’ll get added down the road if they do okay on ammo sales.

Because a 6.5-06AI chamber should have a base to neck/shoulder junction measurement equal to or shorter than a 6.5-06 case. That means there is no headspace issue. AI cartridges headspace on the chamber at the neck/shoulder junction of their parent cartridge. PO recommended that a gunsmith setup headspace to crush a parent case by a few thousandths, but some reamers are spec’d to have the same measurement at the neck/shoulder junction as their parents. That is VERY different from the case actually being .005” short(chamber .005” long) PO did recommend jamming bullets hard into the lands, but that has since been proving not to matter.

I’ve fire formed an awful lot of AIs without false shoulders as well. They’re not needed for an AI when using proper parent brass. A false shoulder is absolutely necessary for safely forming a Dasher or BRX from BR brass. Same goes for other forming that moves the ENTIRE shoulder forward rather than just changing the angle.

The reason for jamming the bullet is so that when the firing pin strikes the cartridge case DOES NOT MOVE forward so that all of the pressure goes to moving or blowing out the shoulder. With the commercial availability of factory cases, there is little need to mess with .284 Win cases any longer.

The CV has created a run on ammo, reloading components, guns, cash etc. which is why some ammo is even harder to find than normal. I was at a large farm supply store today that carries a good supply of ammo, guns, components and there was plenty of each left that I saw. Couple empty spots on the ammo shelves, but I didn't look close enough to see what was missing. Without even trying much I did see 4-5 left handed rifles on the racks.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back