Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

6.5 - Swede or [Redacted - Rhymes with Swede]?

Which 6.5 should I go with?

• 6.5x55 Swede

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • 6.5 [Rhymes with Swede]

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters
Hate on the Creedmoor all you want, but it works. I built one to shoot tactical matches before all the hysteria. It will kill a deer or antelope as far as you care to shoot one if you do your part Match grade factory ammo and rifles are plentiful and not overly expensive. That’s why it’s successful and thats why people hate it.

and from the other side of the aisle

hate on and/or disregard the Swede, because it is "yesterday" instead of 'today" but it not only works now but has worked for a few years--AND, it has more votes on this thread ( to be honest that surprises me )

FLS, LOL, just having a little fun. Actually even I am aware that the creed has better ballistics than the Swede, and it is easier to find riffles and loaded ammo for---but the shorter bullet does not impress or sell someone who also likes the 300 H & H (-:

To bad you don’t reload, I found 264 Win Mag Nosler brass for 24 bucks today. I had a hard time not buying it.

I love the Swede, but maybe that is because it is old and/or it has served me well for so long.

If you change your mind about lead, the heavy for caliber 156 Norma Oryx works very well in the swede and that loaded ammo is available.

Thanks, Europe. Have you had stabilization problems with such long bullets? The rifle I'm looking at has only 8.66 twist (regardless of cartridge).

I appreciate everyone's responses. In case anyone else stumbles onto this thread with the same concerns, somebody offline pointed out to me that DoubleTap loads the Swede with 127 grain Barnes LRX, so the problem is solved!

In reality, at normal hunting distances, I don’t believe there is a difference between the two using factory ammo. The one thing I’d caution is that many factory 6.5 Swede offerings are downloaded so that they may be used in really old rifles. Some manufacturers offer loads for modern rifles though so you’ll just have to search for those. Usually it’s from the European manufacturers though that offer the higher powered loads.

If you aren’t going to reload then it probably makes more sense to go with the 6.5 CM for the aforementioned reasons. All jokes aside it’s a great cartridge for many of the same reasons that the 6.5 Swede is. Now the Swede has a slightly higher maximum potential but again the difference is minuscule. I looked at both a few years back when I was trying to decided between a Sako 85 in 6.5 Swede or wait to see if the 6.5 Creedmoor would catch on... in the end I chose neither and got a 7mm-08. The reality is that they’re all about the same in effectiveness... so go with what makes you happy between the new hotness or the quirky classic.

Back