6.5-300 RMEF Weatherby - Sell or Keep It?

Should I just sell this thing on gunbroker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In reality, a 6.5-06, or 6.5-06AI will get incredibly close to the same velocities with handloads. A 6.5-284 will get close. All of those will burn 2/3rds the powder and have 2-4X the barrel life.

I’ve hit 3400fps with 130’s and 3300fps with 140’s from a 6.5-257AI, but it was hard on brass. With Lapua brass it would probably be manageable without loosening primer pockets, but I couldn’t find any 8x57 Lapua to form it from at the time. My current loads achieve 3250fps with 130’s, 3150fps with 140’s and 2975fps with 156’s. The 156’s could be sped up a bit if I would spend the time and components to experiment with a longer seating depth and different powder.

If you want that cartridge, by all means keep it. Sometime we want what we want, and that’s just it. If you want a hot rod, but aren’t sold on the 6.5-300Wby, there are better ways to get equal or near equal performance. If you don’t need a hot rod, there are a million other cartridges out there that are far more practical.

THE 6.5-300 is an interesting cartridge. However, I'm sort of a practical guy. I once won a Tikka in .22-250 at a DU dinner. I really had no use for such a rifle. However, I was in need of a resupply of waterfowl loads, another climbing treestand, another tent/blind, etc. I swapped the rifle in a local gunshop for the stuff I really "needed". I vote to sell the rifle and get your daughter set up with a very nice first rifle.

Sounds like a plan, if that doesn't work there are a couple threads floating around here where some of the ladies have stated their preferences. The Weatherby Camilla and a couple others seem to be favorites.
Good to know, thank you!!

Heck, sell it to me. I’ll even send you pictures once a month so you know it’s got a good hom
THE 6.5-300 is an interesting cartridge. However, I'm sort of a practical guy. I once won a Tikka in .22-250 at a DU dinner. I really had no use for such a rifle. However, I was in need of a resupply of waterfowl loads, another climbing treestand, another tent/blind, etc. I swapped the rifle in a local gunshop for the stuff I really "needed". I vote to sell the rifle and get your daughter set up with a very nice first rifle.
I completely understand!! As a family, three of us have won shotguns (one was a really nice Benelli O/U). All three have been traded in/sold for other firearms (my .30-06 I started elk hunting with and my son shot his wild boar with, my VP-9 concealed carry, and my daughter’s pink camo semi-auto shotgun). You must be a frugal guy like me!!

In reality, a 6.5-06, or 6.5-06AI will get incredibly close to the same velocities with handloads. A 6.5-284 will get close. All of those will burn 2/3rds the powder and have 2-4X the barrel life.

I’ve hit 3400fps with 130’s and 3300fps with 140’s from a 6.5-257AI, but it was hard on brass. With Lapua brass it would probably be manageable without loosening primer pockets, but I couldn’t find any 8x57 Lapua to form it from at the time. My current loads achieve 3250fps with 130’s, 3150fps with 140’s and 2975fps with 156’s. The 156’s could be sped up a bit if I would spend the time and components to experiment with a longer seating depth and different powder.

If you want that cartridge, by all means keep it. Sometime we want what we want, and that’s just it. If you want a hot rod, but aren’t sold on the 6.5-300Wby, there are better ways to get equal or near equal performance. If you don’t need a hot rod, there are a million other cartridges out there that are far more practical.
Well thought out response, thank you!! I don’t really need a “hot rod.” My .300WM will do the job just fine out to 600+ yards. I just need to remember to turn my scope turret back to its zero after I don’t take a shot so I don’t miss an elk again (long story)!

Well thought out response, thank you!! I don’t really need a “hot rod.” My .300WM will do the job just fine out to 600+ yards. I just need to remember to turn my scope turret back to its zero after I don’t take a shot so I don’t miss an elk again (long story)!
Well, that’s one of the issues that makes me reluctant to dial in the field.

I disagree with most of that statement.
There is not a 6.5 cartridge that can get close to the 6.5-300. At least not to mine.

143 ELDX at 3500 with a 28” barrel

I get 3-4 firings out of my brass. With supplies I already have, it’s is inexpensive to shoot an unsurpassed ballistically.

There is no “equal or near equal”

To Op, keep the rifle. If you need any load data, message me. Been running one for about 6 years now

as far as your daughter goes. You can load them light charge wise and bullet the wise to minimize recoil. My rifle has minimal recoil. Comparative to a 243 with my suppressor.

I vote yes if you sell it to me for a song or have another caliber in mind, if not, enjoy the great gun.
I was thinking .270 or 6.5 Creedmoor. This way, I could use it for smaller game myself as well as my daughter using it. I know RMEF sells these for $799 to Life members. Make me an offer.

Have you decided what you are going to do with the 6.5-300? I just won the same thing at a RMEF banquet. I'm having similar thoughts.

There is not a 6.5 cartridge that can get close to the 6.5-300. At least not to mine.

There is no “equal or near equal”

Sure there is, they call it the 26 Nosler. It's basically as outrageously overbore but without the belt that was obsolete a couple generations ago and the goofy shoulder.

"Sure there is, they call it the 26 Nosler. It's basically as outrageously overbore but without the belt that was obsolete a couple generations ago and the goofy shoulder."

Nope

Definitely keep it. It's a Weatherby, and a special one at that.
It’s a Vanguard, no? Nothing special at all about it, other than it has a different “engraved” $5 floorplate. If the OP must have a Weatherby, trade it to your dealer for a Camila in a reasonable caliber for your daughter. Probably be better off with a Savage for her similar to what he has already.

Reasoning?
Weatherby’s dog in this fight is a big dog, snarling and barking. The .300 Weatherby has been the flagship of the fleet, and it was perfectly fitting that they used the .300 as the platform for their 6.5mm cartridge. The 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum is a beast; it is the .300 Weatherby Magnum—requiring a magnum-length action—necked down to hold 6.5mm bullets, replete with the double radius shoulder that Weatherby is famous for. Roy Weatherby began experimenting with the full-length Holland & Holland case in the 1940s, and he actually had a 6.5mm cartridge, but it would be 2016 until any Weatherby 6.5mm cartridge would see the light of day. The 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum dials up the heat another 100 fps over the .26 Nosler; it’ll launch the 140-grain bullets at a muzzle velocity of just shy of 3400 fps. It uses a 2.825″ case—just a whisker shorter than the parent .375 and .300 H&H cases—with plenty of case capacity; 98 grains of water to be specific. "According to American Hunter magazine."

Yes, the .300 Wby. is their most popular cartridge, and the .257 Wby. was Roy's favorite...thankfully I have both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back