MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

6.5-300 RMEF Weatherby - Sell or Keep It?

Should I just sell this thing on gunbroker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SPDSpappy

Just became a RMEF Life Member and with it comes a 6.5-300 RMEF Weatherby rifle. I've read up on the round in the couple threads here on the cartridge and have found only Weatherby actually makes ammo in 3 different variants for it. Also, I reload for my .30-06 and .300 Win Mag w/o issue, but it looks like getting the brass is a pain. One more major issue is there's no reloading data for it in my Hornady book... Part of me wants to keep it as it's RMEF, but another part of me doesn't want to deal w/ the hassles of this round and would rather take the money to buy a new Savage Impulse in a caliber my 12 y/o daughter could use (6.5 Creedmoor) on an antelope hunt I want to take her on.

Weatherbys are unique and expensive to reload for, plus this rifle doesnt do anything your others rifles dont so sell it. Use $ to help set that young lady up a fine rifle she can be proud of and comfortable shooting.

Its a great round. I am close to getting on in a MarkV or .257 and close to buying on the all RMEF Auctions, just some went too high. Unless your a bench shooter ( cause you'll wear out the barrel) and unless you already own a laser beam to 500yards. I would keep it.

Check on the weatherby website for once fired brass. Once you have the brass and dies they are NOT expensive to load for. I can load 100 rounds for my 257 WBY for less than $75 with Accubonds. Since you do already reaload your ahead of the curve and can save money instead of buying factory ammo. I would say keep it. You may go through a barrel sooner than other rifles with the 6.5-300.

Just became a RMEF Life Member and with it comes a 6.5-300 RMEF Weatherby rifle. I've read up on the round in the couple threads here on the cartridge and have found only Weatherby actually makes ammo in 3 different variants for it. Also, I reload for my .30-06 and .300 Win Mag w/o issue, but it looks like getting the brass is a pain. One more major issue is there's no reloading data for it in my Hornady book... Part of me wants to keep it as it's RMEF, but another part of me doesn't want to deal w/ the hassles of this round and would rather take the money to buy a new Savage Impulse in a caliber my 12 y/o daughter could use (6.5 Creedmoor) on an antelope hunt I want to take her on.

If you really need a rifle for your daughter it would be a good one to sell. Otherwise keep it, that round is a smoker, I'd hunt with that over a 300WM any day. I picked up a Weatherby recently and it will be far less to reload it (or even pay someone to reload since I don't have everything set up yet like you do) than buy factory ammo...

That is a fine rifle and heck of a round ! Don’t sell it because you will regret the sale. JMHO

Sounds like you'd rather get a rifle for your daughter and are looking for reasons to sell this one. I haven't looked much at the Impulse other than the release on the features, but if they don't have one suited to your daughter's frame you might look into other ones that will fit her well.

If you really need a rifle for your daughter it would be a good one to sell. Otherwise keep it, that round is a smoker, I'd hunt with that over a 300WM any day. I picked up a Weatherby recently and it will be far less to reload it (or even pay someone to reload since I don't have everything set up yet like you do) than buy factory ammo...
Yes, she does need a rifle as everything I own to use on antelope has WAY too much of a kick for her as she’s very petite!! My son is a whole different story...

You’re right about reloading rounds being much cheaper once you already have everything. I reload my .300WM for about $1/round and the factory ammo is over $3 each. The unfortunate part in this case is the only Hornady die set available for this cartridge is the custom one that’s about $90... Wouldn’t take too many rounds to make this up, but still!

Weatherbys are unique and expensive to reload for, plus this rifle doesnt do anything your others rifles dont so sell it. Use $ to help set that young lady up a fine rifle she can be proud of and comfortable shooting.
That’s basically what I was thinking...

Its a great round. I am close to getting on in a MarkV or .257 and close to buying on the all RMEF Auctions, just some went too high. Unless your a bench shooter ( cause you'll wear out the barrel) and unless you already own a laser beam to 500yards. I would keep it.
We wouldn’t be shooting this gun very much. I already have 2 hunting rifles I would use instead of this one. This one would basically just sit in the safe as a momento of becoming a RMEF Life Member.

Sounds like you'd rather get a rifle for your daughter and are looking for reasons to sell this one. I haven't looked much at the Impulse other than the release on the features, but if they don't have one suited to your daughter's frame you might look into other ones that will fit her well.
Good point about making sure a rifle fits her frame before I get it. I need to take my 110 High Country (same AccuStock as the Impulse based on what I’m reading), put the shortest insert in there (or none), and see how it fits her.

Check on the weatherby website for once fired brass. Once you have the brass and dies they are NOT expensive to load for. I can load 100 rounds for my 257 WBY for less than $75 with Accubonds. Since you do already reaload your ahead of the curve and can save money instead of buying factory ammo. I would say keep it. You may go through a barrel sooner than other rifles with the 6.5-300.
I didn’t know they had once fired brass, thank you for the info as I’ll definitely check it out if I decide to keep the gun.

they are NOT expensive to load for. I can load 100 rounds for my 257 WBY for less than $75 with Accubonds.
NO YOU CANT!
100 accubonds along are $45ish for blems -$70new
70grains each of powder of choice is $30 (conservative) 1-pound
Primers are $4-5
So with no brass cost or other costs for supplies your already past your $75 quote.
Like i said weatherbys are expensive to load no matter what, while costs can be reduced there still pricey

Good point about making sure a rifle fits her frame before I get it. I need to take my 110 High Country (same AccuStock as the Impulse based on what I’m reading), put the shortest insert in there (or none), and see how it fits her.
Sounds like a plan, if that doesn't work there are a couple threads floating around here where some of the ladies have stated their preferences. The Weatherby Camilla and a couple others seem to be favorites.

NO YOU CANT!
Primers are $4-5
So with no brass cost or other costs for supplies your already past your $75 quote.
Like i said weatherbys are expensive to load no matter what, while costs can be reduced there still pricey
At your figures for 100rds that's $80-105 for powder/primer/bullets, then you have $100 for brass at normal market rate, so with new brass that's between $1.80 and $2.05/rd, that's NOT expensive, the same factory loads would be about $3.60/rd...

NO YOU CANT!
Primers are $4-5

I have sticker prices on my stuff... I had bought a bunch of 110 accubonds for 16.99/50(33.98) at that the time. Primers have a price of 3.99/100. Pound of powder 33.99. So right there I am at $71.96. I am unsure how you determine cost of brass because you will get multiple uses out of them per case. So without that I am under the $75 per hundred. I understand prices have increased, but it is do able. Earlier this year before all the shit hit the fan blems were available for 19 or so per 50.

I said no on selling it. That is personal preference though. Monday Gun Day March 15th. I want to win that 6.5-300. I can't afford the life membership but if I could have I would have done it with the 6.5-300 being a nice bonus to a great organization life membership.

I’d keep it but just because I love those flat shooters. It’s really a question only you and your needs and wants can answer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back