Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

6.5-300 RMEF Weatherby - Sell or Keep It?

Should I just sell this thing on gunbroker?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would sell it and buy something for your daughter. 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm-08 maybe. If at some point you just have to have a 6.5-300, pick one up then.

Weatherby’s dog in this fight is a big dog, snarling and barking. The .300 Weatherby has been the flagship of the fleet, and it was perfectly fitting that they used the .300 as the platform for their 6.5mm cartridge. The 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum is a beast; it is the .300 Weatherby Magnum—requiring a magnum-length action—necked down to hold 6.5mm bullets, replete with the double radius shoulder that Weatherby is famous for. Roy Weatherby began experimenting with the full-length Holland & Holland case in the 1940s, and he actually had a 6.5mm cartridge, but it would be 2016 until any Weatherby 6.5mm cartridge would see the light of day. The 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum dials up the heat another 100 fps over the .26 Nosler; it’ll launch the 140-grain bullets at a muzzle velocity of just shy of 3400 fps. It uses a 2.825″ case—just a whisker shorter than the parent .375 and .300 H&H cases—with plenty of case capacity; 98 grains of water to be specific. "According to American Hunter magazine."

American hunter stating what’s printed on a box or advertised doesn’t make it fact apples to apples. The cases are within 2 grains of capacity of each other. For reference, you can have different 300wm manufactured cases with variance 3 times that!

With cases of the same size, you only get more velocity a few ways- higher pressure, higher energy powder, or longer freebore that allows more powder to be burned at same chamber pressure. The weatherby doesn’t have exclusive ability to tweak those 3 things for more velocity. The long weatherby throats can be a contributing factor but lets be honest, the throat is going to rapidly recede with these cartridges anyway.

Yep, they're both overbore and can be tweaked. Mines just a little faster than yours. Don't lose any sleep over it. Shooting 225 ELDM's at 2850 out of a 300 wm. It has 1000 more ft lbs at 1000 yds than either of these does. No, I don't shoot things at that range. But its good to know. I understand you like Nosler cartridges.

Yep, they're both overbore and can be tweaked. Mines just a little faster than yours. Don't lose any sleep over it. Shooting 225 ELDM's at 2850 out of a 300 wm. It has 1000 more ft lbs at 1000 yds than either of these does. No, I don't shoot things at that range. But its good to know. I understand you like Nosler cartridges.

Im simply pointing out that the “nothing comes close” is false based on the physical reality of each cartridge. Has nothing to do with any personal affinity with one or the other, to the contrary. Don’t own a nosler chambering, if I did the 26 would be last on the list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back