Caribou Gear

6.5 PRC vs. .257 Wby. Mag

Thanks for all the information. I am heading to the local gun shop this weekend and will see what I like.

Looking to purchase a new rifle and I think I 've narrowed it down to one of these two calibers. I'm looking for a gun to shoot everything from TX whitetail to Elk with. Realistically 500 yds is probably the max I feel comfortable shooting at right now. I don't reload right now and I am worried about finding ammo for either one of these cartridges. I know they are both fairly flat shooting calibers, but would one do better against larger game? I've read a ton on both, but would like to hear from people that have actually used them in the field. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Because the majestic elk is involved, "my" personal preference is the .26 cal.

I find this discussion timely. Howa just sent me a new 6.5PRC that we are testing for a lightweight mountain rifle. The first iteration has a carbon stock and traditional Howa barreled action. Mostly checking for weight, balance, and recoil. If it works how I expect, they want me to test it in a full carbon set up, stock and barrel.

They have sent me four 6.5 CMs over the years and I'm not overly impressed with that round. It doesn't do anything that my many 7mm-08s can't do just as well, at the ranges I keep myself to while hunting. Maybe I am stuck in the past, the same way those rifles are stuck in the back of my safe.

The 6.5 PRC does interest me from a ballistics standpoint. The 6.5 as a caliber is proven for decades. The bullet selection, when available, make for a lot of appealing options. Just not sure what the recoil will be in a lightweight platform. Guess I will find out over the next few months ......... if I can get my hands on any ammo.

OP,

My personal answer is a 257 WBY in Mark V ultralight and a 300 WBY Mark V Accumark. The actions are the same, so my muscle memory works for both.

The 257 WBY does some amazing stuff to big game. The bang, flops will amaze you.

I owned a 257 Wby. I have to admit, l enjoyed the velocity but the bullets don't buck the wind at all. The 6.5 would be a better hunting round, it has much better bullet weight. 130 or 140 grains vs 100 grains. I sold my Weatherby to help pay for a 300 Winchester or 300PRC.

I find this discussion timely. Howa just sent me a new 6.5PRC that we are testing for a lightweight mountain rifle. The first iteration has a carbon stock and traditional Howa barreled action. Mostly checking for weight, balance, and recoil. If it works how I expect, they want me to test it in a full carbon set up, stock and barrel.

They have sent me four 6.5 CMs over the years and I'm not overly impressed with that round. It doesn't do anything that my many 7mm-08s can't do just as well, at the ranges I keep myself to while hunting. Maybe I am stuck in the past, the same way those rifles are stuck in the back of my safe.

The 6.5 PRC does interest me from a ballistics standpoint. The 6.5 as a caliber is proven for decades. The bullet selection, when available, make for a lot of appealing options. Just not sure what the recoil will be in a lightweight platform. Guess I will find out over the next few months ......... if I can get my hands on any ammo.
What is the weight on it? I think it will be fine as the 6.5 PRC is a pretty mild recoiling cartridge. You won’t be able to tell the difference between it and a 270 in the recoil department and really the ballistics side running your normal hunting bullets. The 6.5 PRC really shines when you get into the vld type bullets.

The lightest will be between 5.5-6.0#. The other version will be low 6# range. Both measurements unscoped and empty magazine.
Those sounds like winners!! Depending on the price point I think they could sell a lot of them.

Good to hear that. I don't have any input on pricing, so I'm of no help there.
If it's sub-$1000 and they can beat Tikka to market I think they could sell lots of them. If they are in the $1500+ price bracket they are facing makes/models already to market though not really at those weights.

I own a 257 Weatherby Mag and it is one of my favorite rifles, very accurate and fun to shoot. That being said I personally don't believe that 257WM or the 6.5PRC are solid 500yd elk rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back