Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

6.5 PRC vs. .257 Wby. Mag

bf1002

Looking to purchase a new rifle and I think I 've narrowed it down to one of these two calibers. I'm looking for a gun to shoot everything from TX whitetail to Elk with. Realistically 500 yds is probably the max I feel comfortable shooting at right now. I don't reload right now and I am worried about finding ammo for either one of these cartridges. I know they are both fairly flat shooting calibers, but would one do better against larger game? I've read a ton on both, but would like to hear from people that have actually used them in the field. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

I’ve owned both and kept the PRC for primarily one reason, the cost of ammunition. The factory Hornady loads are so good in the PRC and premium Weatherby ammo is just too dang expensive. I love the .257 cartridge, but the PRC is a better choice for me.

I’ve owned both and kept the PRC for primarily one reason, the cost of ammunition. The factory Hornady loads are so good in the PRC and premium Weatherby ammo is just too dang expensive. I love the .257 cartridge, but the PRC is a better choice for me.
How does the recoil compare?

I was pondering this similar myself. But the .257 to the 6.5-300. I am now looking for a .257. For me the 6.5PRC isn’t even close. If anything maybe the 6.5Wby RPM.
Why isn't the PRC even close? I am not familiar with the 6.5-300.

Only 6.5 I’ve owned was a .264 Win mag. My 257 has quickly become my grab and go rifle. It’s a tack driver and to me, little or no recoil.
Only things that have fallen to mine has been a Indiana w/t and a couple coyotes. The 100 TSX is hard on pelts!
I reload, so ammo cost is not a huge factor.
I do miss my 264, but I will never miss my 257!

6.5-300 is Whetherby new round. I just think the PRC is a round to make Creedmore shooters feel a little better about themselves. lol.
6.5-300 isn’t a new round. Roy Weatherby backburned it because the 257wby was his favorite cartridge of the bunch and was afraid the 6.5-300 would become more popular than the 257wby and hinder the sales of the 257.

6.5-300 isn’t a new round. Roy Weatherby backburned it because the 257wby was his favorite cartridge of the bunch and was afraid the 6.5-300 would become more popular than the 257wby and hinder the sales of the 257.
True. But most are just now seeing it. It’s a smoker for sure and my style but I think I am going with .257. 1/4” is only round I don’t have.

True. But most are just now seeing it. It’s a smoker for sure and my style but I think I am going with .257. 1/4” is only round I don’t have.
Fair enough. The 6.5-300 has caught my eye as well. Down fall may be if you shoot more than the average hunter you might go through barrels. In my opinion I’d go with the 6.5-300 just because of the velocity gains you’ll see over the prc.

Fair enough. The 6.5-300 has caught my eye as well. Down fall may be if you shoot more than the average hunter you might go through barrels. In my opinion I’d go with the 6.5-300 just because of the velocity gains you’ll see over the prc.
Check out the 6.5 Sherman... if you’re a reloader it’s a cool option.

IMO, Roy's .257 has reached venerable status, and I'm admittedly 'emotionally' attached to mine, but I wouldn't take it for elk. Also, I don't own or have a hankering for a 6.5/.264 variant, but if I did I wouldn't elk purpose it either. No science involved, simple predjudice for big propellant and barrel burning go fasters for elk.

I had been considering the 6.5PRC and even the 6.5-300. 257 might be a look see but I really love my 25-06. I am curious about the new 27 Nosler as well, I don't own a 270, yet.

I had been considering the 6.5PRC and even the 6.5-300. 257 might be a look see but I really love my 25-06. I am curious about the new 27 Nosler as well, I don't own a 270, yet.
27 Nos is interesting...for years I used the 270WSM as a poor man's 25Wby...how stupid is a Sako 75 in 270 Short Mag coz you're saving coin on factory ammo? NM, I know the answer..

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back