6.5 mm

jnoel2279

Ok what are ya'll thoughts on the best 6.5 bullet cartriage? I'm thinking about getting one for long range shots, I dont want a barrel burner but I do want down range energy and great accuracy. Should I get the creadmore or the Ackley or what I can't name them all off the top of my head. Please help. Thanks and God Bless and Great luck to all!

I like the Creedmoor but everyone is gonna jump all over you and say that it can't do anything the 260 rem can't do. The 6.5mm discussions are fun to watch.. .

I'd probably go with a standard 260 rem...

I had a tough time deciding between it and a 7-08...went 7-08.

I already have a 7mm rem mag by browning and a tack driver .270 in a T/C but i'm looking for something without as much kick(7mm) but would be deadly on deer and metal out to about 600 yds. the main reason for less kick is for my 7 yr old son to shoot. thnaks again.

I just built a 6.5-284, and would definitely recommend it. It is about 200 fps+ more than the 260 Rem I built at the same time for my father. It is also much more accurate.

I just had a 260 Rem built and it should get here next week. The availability of brass gave it the nod over the creedmore or 6.5x47. The 6.5x284 got a serious look, but I only had a short action to play with and you can run into issues with OAL depending on bullet/throat selection and it is the barrel burner of the four.

Last fall I bought a Savage 116 weather warrior in 6.5x284. I bought it for the same reason you listed. I hand load using 58gr of Retumbo behind a 140gr Berger Hunting VLD @ 2975fps. With this load I am getting just over 1/2MOA. Much better than I anticipated. The more I shoot this gun the better I like it. I can hit clay pigeons at 500yds all day. The other thing I like is that the 6.5x284 is common enough that I can get reloading components quite easily. I also bought dies off the shelf at Sportsmans Warehouse.

65.-284 is probably the best, BUT, it is hard to beat a .260 for quality, brass availability (.308) and overall efficiency. That is hands-down my choice if I ever buy another rifle.

Go with the 284, it's a great cartridge that performs very well for long range hunting. Lots of competitions being shot and one with this caliber. Plus, with it being so hot there is a lot of info, components, and factory product available.

If you handload, Creedmore or 6.5x47L, .260 if you don't. I smacked a few 20x20" painted squares last week at 1075 with both my 6.5x47 and .260ai. Only difference was a couple of clicks once I got a new load dialed in, and the fact that I can spot shots slightly better with the 6.5x47 makes me happy. Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, my 6.5L (136 scenar) actually beats the 260ai (139 scenar) on drop/energy/velocity and is basically even on wind with their current loads. Anyway, have fun with whatever you pick.

Now you gentlemen are reaching into my gun safe. I've been a proponent of the 6.5 for years and I've built and shot and sold just about everything you can think of in that caliber. Of all of the different chamberings I've screwed with, the best long range round is probably the 6.5-338 Win Mag. It's smaller than the 264 Win. and can be loaded to perform better. My favorite is the 6.5-300WSM. Short action, 264 win mag performance with about 25% less powder. In a 24 inch barrel it's deadly accurate with good 140 or 155 grain bullets (if you can find the heavier versions anywhere.) For conventioal loadings, I guess the 6.5 Swede and the 6.5-06 are probably the best it gets. 6.5 Creedmore is a great round as are the .260 Rem and the 6.5 Remington.Mag. So I guess it's a crapshoot. I've never found anything in 6.5 that I coulnd't make shoot sub MOA groups. In many cases it's a matter of how much are you willing to put into it and how much pain are you willing to put up with when you shoot it because some of the faster 6.5 hurt on both ends.. 6.5-300 WBY as a case in point.

The OP never said if he reloads or not, if you're buying loaded ammo over the counter the 260 would probably be best. If you handload then as danr55 put it you have lots of choices. The 6.5 SAUM is another interesting variant ........................... maybe it's time to buy myself another rifle.:D

I have a rifle being built as we speak on a trued rem 700. I was looking at the 6.5 Creedmor and the 260 Rem (I wanted to stay with a shorta action. I ended up going with the 260 Rem based on the fact that if I needed to, I could always find a decent supply of factory ammo.

I am a big fan of the 6.5. My favorite is the 264 win mag, but in a short action, how about a 6.5 Remington magnum. Brass is available and it is basically one of the first short magnum style of cartridges. I am building one as we speak. Twist should be 1:9. The barrel length of the first rifles chambered in 6.5 Rem Mag were 18.5 inches. Best barrel length for performance peak out around 22 inches with a modest gain when you reach to 24".

I've sold off my .260 and 6.5x55 and having a .264 win mag built just because I wanted something different, really nothing wrong with any of them a lots of guys going 6.5x47L in NZ built on short light actions for mountain rifles ( I went 7.08 in a rem 7) as they work with high pressures so getting good speeds with less powder/recoil.

I have a bud building a 6.5 on the RUM case. I know, I know. Barrel burner. We'll see. mtmuley

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back