Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

6.5 Hornady GMX bullet after 400yd cow elk shot

Depends on what gun you are using, I was told by a Browning rep that the new 6.5 barrels were changed to shoot a heavier bullet. This was confirmed by some testing I did with a brand new xbolt 6.5 creedmoor. We shot the 120 GMX, 129 superformance and 143 ELDX. The 120 and 129 bullets would not hold a pattern, the 143 however would group less than 1/2'' at 100yds. This was done with the gun in a lead sled and allowing the barrel to cool between 3 shot groups.

The barrel may not have liked the lighter bullets, but the twist in the barrel is not the problem. If the barrel is twisted to take the longer bullets (probably 1/8), then there is not an issue with lighter bullets. If the 143 shot better, it is because the rifle liked it better. Bullets do not pattern, they group. I have several 1/8 twist barrels that like light and heavy bullets equally. Learn what you are talking about, before posting junk.

The barrel may not have liked the lighter bullets, but the twist in the barrel is not the problem. If the barrel is twisted to take the longer bullets (probably 1/8), then there is not an issue with lighter bullets. If the 143 shot better, it is because the rifle liked it better. Bullets do not pattern, they group. I have several 1/8 twist barrels that like light and heavy bullets equally. Learn what you are talking about, before posting junk.
Excuse me Mr. Expert just posting what a Browning rep told me. I'll keep my facts to myself so you can fill us in with your vast bullet knowledge.

Excuse me Mr. Expert just posting what a Browning rep told me. I'll keep my facts to myself so you can fill us in with your vast bullet knowledge.
sb was just explaining what the rep meant by what he said. Also reps are salesman...some good, some bad, some worthless.

Depends on what gun you are using, I was told by a Browning rep that the new 6.5 barrels were changed to shoot a heavier bullet. This was confirmed by some testing I did with a brand new xbolt 6.5 creedmoor. We shot the 120 GMX, 129 superformance and 143 ELDX. The 120 and 129 bullets would not hold a pattern, the 143 however would group less than 1/2'' at 100yds. This was done with the gun in a lead sled and allowing the barrel to cool between 3 shot groups.
That very well could be that they are using barrels with a 1:7 twists now, I’ve also heard of certain rifles that wouldn’t shoot superformance very well because of the extra speed, my experience with the gmx has been that the extra speed from the Superformance was a difference maker in terminal performance over other ammunition

Didn't see the discussion before on bullets and a rifle's preference, so thought I'd simply share how my Kimber Mountain Ascent liked the first three groups of 3 shots taken at 100 yds. with the Superformance 120gr GMX. By the third group was just over 1/2" so thankfully I know what my rifle really likes. I have heard of significant differences between rifles even of the same mfr., model and caliber, so I don't assume all will like these. On the flip side, if I miss an animal I can't say that it was my rifle's fault.

Attachments

• IMG_4124.jpeg
    IMG_4124.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4126.jpeg
    IMG_4126.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 2
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics