PEAX Equipment

6.5 Crredmoor or 7-08?

Exactly....I believe I said this before as a joke, but seriously I believe the 6.5 creed is the hipster caliber of the year for some reason...I wonder which one will be next... :) I myself went with the .308 for no other reason than it seemed like it worked for everything just like the 6.5 and 7mm08 will :)

I thought hipsters shot .308's and drank craft beer!:cool:

I've been told the hipsters shoot 303 british and drink pbr. I hope they've not bought into the 6.5 craze, I've been shooting the swede for years, and I'm not ready to change.

It wasn't just marketing for a cartridge without need. There are a ton of 6.5 wildcats even among the modern the 260 Remington was once 6.5 A-square. The 260 Remington 1n 1997 100 years after the 6.5 x 50 Arisaka which is in the same ballistic family. The 6.5x55 arrived even earlier in 1894 also in the same ballistic neighborhood. The 6.5 x 47 Lapua in 2005 but a fairly expensive cartridge to load.

So really why the Creedmoor? Dennis DeMille former Highpower National Champion wanted a 260 remington ballistic performer that would mag feed a 140 grain Amax in an AR10 size magazine (260 remington won't). The Creedmoor name? Well Dennis is General Manager of Creedmoor Sports a Highpower competitive shooter supply company. It was DeMille and Dave Emary (Hornady senior engineer)at the 2007 Camp Perry National Matches that hatched the idea of the cartridge built around a bullet. That was the need and the reason for development. Wisely unlike Remington when they brought out the 260 Hornady has since marketed the heck out of it which they should.

Last edited:
It wasn't just marketing for a cartridge without need. There are a ton of 6.5 wildcats even among the modern the 260 Remington was once 6.5 A-square. The 260 Remington 1n 1997 100 years after the 6.5 x 50 Arisaka which is in the same ballistic family. The 6.5x55 arrived even earlier in 1894 also in the same ballistic neighborhood. The 6.5 x 47 Lapua in 2005 but a fairly expensive cartridge to load.

So really why the Creedmoor? Dennis DeMille former Highpower National Champion wanted a 260 remington ballistic performer that would mag feed a 140 grain Amax in an AR10 size magazine (260 remington won't). The Creedmoor name? Well Dennis is General Manager of Creedmoor Sports a Highpower competitive shooter supply company. It was DeMille and Dave Emary (Hornady senior engineer)at the 2007 Camp Perry National Matches that hatched the idea of the cartridge built around a bullet. That was the need and the reason for development. Wisely unlike Remington when they brought out the 260 Hornady has since marketed the heck out of it which they should.

What size of mag are you talking about? My .260 feeds 140s just fine. I thought that size of cartridge all had basically the same length mag. I don't shoot 140s, though, so I never really paid that much attention, I guess.

I thought hipsters shot .308's and drank craft beer!:cool:

Well I'm no hipster as they truly drink PBR...or so I'm told anyway. I say get which ever lightweight rifle in whichever cal you want :) I myself don't ever plan on shooting over a certain yardage and my .308 will do that for me just like any rifle I'm sure. I wanted 1 long range shooter and at the time .308 was the "hipster" cal at the time :) LOL Or so I was told. I will stress though, make it a lightweight rifle.

What size of mag are you talking about? My .260 feeds 140s just fine. I thought that size of cartridge all had basically the same length mag. I don't shoot 140s, though, so I never really paid that much attention, I guess.
Not all 140's are the same length nor are their ogives in the same location. A 140gr Partition is shorter, with the ogive further out than something like a 139gr Scenar. Hard to chamber a rifle that will have a similar distance to the lands and still fit the magazine for the two bullets.

Not all 140's are the same length nor are their ogives in the same location. A 140gr Partition is shorter, with the ogive further out than something like a 139gr Scenar. Hard to chamber a rifle that will have a similar distance to the lands and still fit the magazine for the two bullets.

I get that, but why does the Creed supposedly handle the long ones better? It is also a short case in a short mag. I am familiar with the ballistics, but really don't know that much about why it supposedly handles the longer bullets better.

I get that, but why does the Creed supposedly handle the long ones better? It is also a short case in a short mag. I am familiar with the ballistics, but really don't know that much about why it supposedly handles the longer bullets better.

You can load your heavier bullets out further not sacrificing your case capacity and still mag feed. Remember the 2 elements of design was based around the 140 grain Amax a vld bullet and an AR10 magazine where your max coal would be 2.81

I wouldn't tag any of them mo-better than the other because the ballistics of a lot of these cartridges are for all practical purposes the same. They were designed for different applications and with different criteria. There have been a lot of great cartridges developed that never caught fire a lot that were ballistic twins of another very popular cartridge but that is another story all together.

Personally, in a bolt action hunting rifle I would be just as happy with a 6.5x55, 6.5x50, 260 rem, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor or any in this class you are splitting hairs.
The Creedmoor just happens to be the flavor of the day. Remington IMHO did'nt do a good job at all in marketing the 260 and it almost died and it wasn't until shooters in recent years really started seeing the benefits of the 6.5's with the influx of higher BC bullets that it started to come back. Remington probably could have owned the market had they pursued it better.

I purchased a Ruger American in 6.5 CM when it was on sale at Cabelas for only $400. The first time out shooting my groups started pretty wide but quickly tightened up to about 1" after 10 rounds. My 13, 14 and 15th rounds were stacking the same bullet hole. I made some minor changes to the stock by sanding down the inside to make sure there was no contact with the barrel. I now plan on possibly fiberglassing the stock to make it more rigid.

I would much rather shoot a 270Win than I would a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would get a 7-08 or a 260Rem over the 6.5 Creedmoor, as well.

You can load your heavier bullets out further not sacrificing your case capacity and still mag feed. Remember the 2 elements of design was based around the 140 grain Amax a vld bullet and an AR10 magazine where your max coal would be 2.81

I wouldn't tag any of them mo-better than the other because the ballistics of a lot of these cartridges are for all practical purposes the same. They were designed for different applications and with different criteria. There have been a lot of great cartridges developed that never caught fire a lot that were ballistic twins of another very popular cartridge but that is another story all together.

Personally, in a bolt action hunting rifle I would be just as happy with a 6.5x55, 6.5x50, 260 rem, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor or any in this class you are splitting hairs.
The Creedmoor just happens to be the flavor of the day. Remington IMHO did'nt do a good job at all in marketing the 260 and it almost died and it wasn't until shooters in recent years really started seeing the benefits of the 6.5's with the influx of higher BC bullets that it started to come back. Remington probably could have owned the market had they pursued it better.

True. They should have started with an 8-twist barrel for one thing. I always liked it, but the rifles went away. I just got mine through a re-barrel and I am real pleased with it. I only shot a few ELDX to test them and it shot them great at 2700 fps. They should be much like an A-max as to seating etc. I seat all of my bullets so that they just barely work in the magazine. The only thing was that the 143 compressed the 4831 pretty badly.

This! To add to the first part, the specs allow the VLDish bullets to mag constraints and still be close to the lands. A 260 can be set up the same way, but it's pretty much a custom only proposition.

Back