Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm-08 vs 270

I don't think I have actually seen the 6.5CM hype, just all of the complaints about the hype. Which inspired me to make this:

View attachment 174999
The 6.5 CM hype has blessedly died down a lot. Seems there are fewer goofballs signing up on a forum just to spew a bunch stuff, and numbers, and ballistic coefficient this and that which they read on other sights that they don't even understand fully and bash the codgers that "still" shoot a .308. Fewer youtube vids where people are bouncing off the walls with enthusiasm about what a "great caliber the 6.5 Creedmoor is! It's the best caliber ever! It's better than any other caliber!". I don't think I ever really complained about it as make fun of the influx of manbun shooters all of the sudden becoming a hard core precision distance shooting expert.

I’ve yet to recover a single one of the 130g TTSX in .270 from two elk and a pronghorn - they’ve sailed right through, with good immediate effects. Not sure I’d risk a frontal shot, but it’s done fine by me so far!

Recovered a bit of the blue tip on the last elk while processing the shoulder:

Attachments

• E0A5BA31-DA95-40ED-BE89-A1AB7BD47568.jpeg
    E0A5BA31-DA95-40ED-BE89-A1AB7BD47568.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 26
The blood dog folks in this part of the world get a lot of calls from shooters of the Cripplemore.

Why do people have a hard time understanding that if you put a good bullet where it’s supposed to go at a reasonable velocity, you are going to have a dead animal. No magic, no smoke and mirrors, no bullshit. This goes for the fan boys and the naysayers

Last edited:
Why do people have a hard time understanding that if you put a good bullet where it’s supposed to go at a reasonable velocity, you are going to have a dead animal. No magic, no smoke and mirrors, no bullshit. This goes for the fan boys and the naysayers
Of course if you post, “what is a good bullet?” “What is reasonable velocity?” And, “where is proper placement?” You will get a thread twice as long, with twice as many opinions. ;)

Of course if you post, “what is a good bullet?” “What is reasonable velocity?” And, “where is proper placement?” You will get a thread twice as long, with twice as many opinions. ;)
Sir that is correct and my answers to those are: One that will kill, the velocity needed to kill and the location where it will kill. :p

Let the debate begin!

I used to be picky about ammo, calibers, and specific applications. Then I had kids and only time to grab a box of 30-06 on the way out the door. Now that the kids and ammo are scarce, I’m back to reloading and can be picky again! The 6.5 appeals more to my reloader mentality, while the 270, although very capable, is more a hunting round to me. I.e., “meh Corelokts will work”.

They are basically the same. You can kill a elk with a .270, 7mm-08, or 6.5 creedmoor.

You read the Spomer article eh? lol

I can't believe the 6.5CM isn't some sort of magic wand. :D

if set on a short action then yeah 6.5CM, if reloader you can get the 260 rem very similar to the 6.5CM. If you are going to build a new rifle the 270 win will out shine the creedmore in energy down range but you need the 150 and 160's. and will need a faster than 1-10 twist, thus a custom barrel.

I’ve only glanced at this thread, and admittedly I’m speaking off memory but why are we comparing two short action cartridges to a long action with 20ish% more case capacity? I’m probably missing something.

I’ve been working on designing my cartridge to finally put the cartridge debate to bed. Basically I’m gonna take a 50 Bmg cartridge, cut it at 1.45” and neck it to 5mm. Case capacity should be around 115 grs. Then I’m gonna spin up some gold plated osmium core bullets that will weigh around 230 grs. Run it down a 1:3 twist and should be good to go.

it’s still in R&D.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back