Caribou Gear

6.5 Creedmoor vs 7mm-08 vs 270

I'm always a little surprised by all the negativity surrounding the creedmoor. I think some people like to hate on the popular kid. Glocks get the same thing. Right now it's the flavor of the month but that will fade and it will settle in with the rest of the popular cartridges. The reality is that all three are great cartridges and are very similar. I think you could pick any one of those and be happy.

Over 500y is why it was developed. It was designed to be a long-range target shooting cartridge for use with long for caliber projectiles and matching twists. Was never designed to be a magic hunting cartridge. It's fine, but so was the .260 Rem.
Sorry, Vikingsguy.
It was developed for 600 yard "mid range" matches. Namely F-Open.
And the reason the case is shorter than the 260, is so the long match bullets don't encroach in the powder space, while having a COAL short enough to fit in AR magazines.

Build a single shot bolt gun & the added capacity of the 260 is the narrowly better choice at long range (1,000 yards +).

I really enjoy my Creed for hunting whitetails. It fits perfectly for deer. But so do the other options listed at the beginning.

I've found it very easy to load for, easy on the shoulder target shooting, and (was) easy to find ammunition components.

As with anything, if you keep your expectations reasonable it's perfectly suited for many applications. I do understand the hate that's come about with many "long range hunters" coming about because of it. It's not a perfect caliber, but it's so mainstream right now that everything for it is relatively more available.

To start out with, I am a 7mm-08 guy. But for giggles, I went to Federal's website and compared 140 grain Accubonds from all 3 calibers. What I found kind of surprised me. Before you read on, rank them in order for drop and velocity just for fun.

Got them ranked in your head yet?

Most of you will get it right, but I had never really looked at the 6.5C. It is dead last by what I think is a pretty good margin out to 500 yards. I understand that it may start looking better after 500 yards, but boy was I surprised given all the hype you hear about it. Just thought it was interesting.

Sorry I think I missed your chart with the velocity, drop and energy - could you repost it? Thanks!

I don't shoot over 350 yards, let alone 500. So all are awesome for my use. None are a silver bullet, however. I already own the .270, so I have a middle cartridge. No one should be ashamed or beat their chest on any of the 3 calibers.

This is probably the best example of a fair comparison and the last of his article does favor the 270...

Coyote at 520 yards, elk at 300 with the 130 combined technology bullet out of the 270, one shot each...

760A6E01-1C88-480E-82E1-1D2C10568BBC.jpegE455D61A-EC5E-4AE4-A054-9E7C082C0A97.jpeg

Sorry I think I missed your chart with the velocity, drop and energy - could you repost it? Thanks!
It is on Federals website. You can frog around in there and compare anything. I compared all 3 calibers by picking the exact same cartridge for each. So many people compare apples and oranges that I was careful to just compare calibers.

This is probably the best example of a fair comparison and the last of his article does favor the 270...

Coyote at 520 yards, elk at 300 with the 130 combined technology bullet out of the 270, one shot each...

View attachment 181099View attachment 181100
Beautiful rifle. Sako?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back