6.5 Berger 156grn

I’m running them at 3040fps out of a 6.5-06. H1000 26” barrel

I expected closer to that considering I had hit 3300 with 140’s. Perhaps if I was too concerned some powder experimentation would offer up another 50-75fps. I’m not that worried about it. It’s shooting well for a hunting gun, and 2977 ain’t terrible. I might tinker more with the match gun someday.

I didn’t have a chrono up for the ladder test. 52gr was probably 3000-3010. It would have been rough on brass though. No ejector flow, but the bolt lift was a little stiff.

Every time I figure brockel will keep a rifle, off it goes. Seems this one is staying put maybe? mtmuley
This one will stay. Think I’m building its twin this winter in a bigger caliber. Just haven’t decided what yet but I have the action and the stock is on its way already

This one will stay. Think I’m building its twin this winter in a bigger caliber. Just haven’t decided what yet but I have the action and the stock is on its way already

Is that the lite sendaro contour carbon fiber?

Nice looking rig.

Sweet rig. It’s a shame that action is 7/8” too long to be any good as a hunting rig. You woulda saved yourself pounds, been able to hike many extra miles, and would probably kill many more animals. Not to mention, the bolt throw will make follow up shots impossible. It might as well be a single-shot, and we all know that you can’t kill an animal with a single-shot. They adapted to that decades ago.

Sweet rig. It’s a shame that action is 7/8” too long to be any good as a hunting rig. You woulda saved yourself pounds, been able to hike many extra miles, and would probably kill many more animals. Not to mention, the bolt throw will make follow up shots impossible. It might as well be a single-shot, and we all know that you can’t kill an animal with a single-shot. They adapted to that decades ago.
I continue to slum these long actions. And the big shifter knob on the bolt basically makes the rig useless

Light, done right, doesn't leave a person making concessions or packing any extra weight across hay fields.

IMG_1057.JPG

Really a pain to get them to shoot as well, threw the group with shot 4 in the 5 shot string.

1228141902a.jpg

Limped to 200 yards and gave it a whirl, group opened up pretty bad:

IMG_1056.JPG

Six at 450, off my pack, spinning turrets on an unreliable leupold:

IMAG0071.jpg

The horror...short action launched bullet about bounced off at 620. Shocking that unreliable turret even twisted in the summer weather. More amazed it returned to zero.

DSC00699.JPG

Just for the record...long actions don't scare me either.

DSC00586.JPG

Light, done right, doesn't leave a person making concessions or packing any extra weight across hay fields.

IMG_1057.JPG

Really a pain to get them to shoot as well, threw the group with shot 4 in the 5 shot string.

1228141902a.jpg

Limped to 200 yards and gave it a whirl, group opened up pretty bad:

IMG_1056.JPG

Six at 450, off my pack, spinning turrets on an unreliable leupold:

IMAG0071.jpg

The horror...short action launched bullet about bounced off at 620. Shocking that unreliable turret even twisted in the summer weather. More amazed it returned to zero.

DSC00699.JPG

Just for the record...long actions don't scare me either.

DSC00586.JPG

Buzz I never said there’s anything wrong with a short action. I said that some bore diameters and bullet weights might be better served by a little extra case capacity. That extra length costs a whopping 2oz. Trading your recoil pad for a plastic butt plate would equal that 2oz IF someone wanted to use a cartridge that needed a long action and was scared of the 2oz that it would add. You can save even more weight by ditching that floor plate and going to a blind magazine. Who made that stock? If it’s an HS you can drop dang near a pound right there. You can do light right on a long action too. I personally think there is a right place for both.

I’ll have to take your word for it that those aren’t 3-shot groups. It’s great shooting either way. Which small action cartridge were you shooting 50gr of RL-19 in?

Last edited:
Buzz I never said there’s anything wrong with a short action. I said that some bore diameters and bullet weights might be better served by a little extra case capacity. That extra length costs a whopping 2oz. Trading your recoil pad for a plastic butt plate would equal that 2oz IF someone wanted to use a cartridge that needed a long action and was scared of the 2oz that it would add. You can save even more weight by ditching that floor plate and going to a blind magazine. Who made that stock? If it’s an HS you can drop dang near a pound right there. You can do light right on a long action too. I personally think there is a right place for both.

I’ll have to take your word for it that those aren’t 3-shot groups. Which small action cartridge were you shooting 50gr of RL-19 in?
If you do not know, then you have not seen many of Buzz's posts. 7-08 for the win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back