PEAX Equipment

6.5 Berger 156grn

If you do not know, then you have not seen many of Buzz's posts. 7-08 for the win.

Should be humming. The load works. Hard to beat for a short action hunting cartridge actually. I wish they were more popular.

Buzz I never said there’s anything wrong with a short action. I said that some bore diameters and bullet weights might be better served by a little extra case capacity. That extra length costs a whopping 2oz. Trading your recoil pad for a plastic butt plate would equal that 2oz IF someone wanted to use a cartridge that needed a long action and was scared of the 2oz that it would add. You can save even more weight by ditching that floor plate and going to a blind magazine. Who made that stock? If it’s an HS you can drop dang near a pound right there. You can do light right on a long action too. I personally think there is a right place for both.

I’ll have to take your word for it that those aren’t 3-shot groups. It’s great shooting either way. Which small action cartridge were you shooting 50gr of RL-19 in?

Not an HS stock.

Looks like a TI takeoff bell and Carlson. I think they are around 30oz. Not a lot more can to shave off the stock.

No, not at 30oz. You can easily drop 2oz though. Lol. Decent stocks exist that are lighter. I’ve got a Kelbly’s Lee-Six for HBR that I think weighs 22oz. They sell a hunting stock that weighs 24oz. Brown Precision used to make the Pounder. I don’t know how to close 16oz they actually were, but they weren’t that good of a stock. Lol. Kelbly’s makes a good stock.

There’s obviously not that much you can drop from the gun, nor is there any reason to. It’s got a slim barrel, two piece bases, aluminum rings, a reasonable scope, and apparently a reasonable stock. The main point is that if it were a long action, not only would it not weigh a lot more, it could be made to weigh the same if weight really concerned you.

I have nothing against Buzz. My only point in any of this is that long actions are perfectly fine to use, and that their drawbacks are usually overblown.

Last edited:
I can shoot a 5lb rifle from the bench and get good groups. Not so much when I just went for a sprint up a hill. I prefer a heavier rifle compared to a lighter one. Been down both roads just prefer the road with a little more weight.

I also prefer a heavier rifle. Most ultra light rifles can shoot very well but takes a proper grip and hold. Sometimes in the field and heat of the moment that doesn’t happen. Also most super light stocks seem to have a very closed off grip for my liking. Although the new Manners Ultra Classic looks like it could be a great choice to build on.

So how do these ultra light, medium, and heavy rifles like the 156g Berger? Does the rifle care? Will it only group in SA cartridges or does it do better in a ultra mag? Wonder if it will group in a heavy Palma barrel? I bet it only works in a medium action 6.5-284.....

So how do these ultra light, medium, and heavy rifles like the 156g Berger? Does the rifle care? Will it only group in SA cartridges or does it do better in a ultra mag? Wonder if it will group in a heavy Palma barrel? I bet it only works in a medium action 6.5-284.....
Hoping to let the air out of an antelope this weekend with one coming out of a long action medium weight rifle

It should group well in any cartridge as long as the barrel twist is appropriate. As far as ballistic performance is concerned there is more to be gained from the larger cartridges as bullet weight increases. This bullet should allow the larger 6.5’s to outshine the smaller ones.

Not that 3100-3300 with a 140 didn’t offer some advantages over 2800.

A 6.5CM should be running around 2500fps with this. I’m doing 2977. Brokel is doing 3050ish. Buzz’s 7-08 load should be near 3000fps.(I’m assuming a 140) I’ve hunted with a 308Win at 2560. It’s a bit of a rainbow.

Last edited:
Please keep us posted on its performance.

Here you go! Plenty of critters already killed with the 156. It should be a great bullet especially in the larger 6.5 cartridges.

Here you go! Plenty of critters already killed with the 156. It should be a great bullet especially in the larger 6.5 cartridges.

I had been following that thread, but I hadn’t logged in for a while over there.

It was good to see the work up with RL26 and animal impacts.

I was hoping it would hold together a little more. I like the idea of it. Still just too much meat damage for me as I am mainly a meat hunter.

Last edited:
It should group well in any cartridge as long as the barrel twist is appropriate. As far as ballistic performance is concerned there is more to be gained from the larger cartridges as bullet weight increases. This bullet should allow the larger 6.5’s to outshine the smaller ones.

Not that 3100-3300 with a 140 didn’t offer some advantages over 2800.

A 6.5CM should be running around 2500fps with this. I’m doing 2977. Brokel is doing 3050ish. Buzz’s 7-08 load should be near 3000fps.(I’m assuming a 140) I’ve hunted with a 308Win at 2560. It’s a bit of a rainbow.
I read somewhere (can't remember where) where some are getting some 2700+ velocities, with the 156, from the Creed. I can see that as a possibility, as I get 2745 with the 147, using Reloder 26. I got up toward 2800, but things started getting a little sticky. I have never shot any bullet that hits steel any harder than that 147 Hornady. You really know when it hits. Deer have the same problem with it.

Really, with today's tactical-type turrets, range finders, etc., the trajectory becomes more insignificant, as long as the bullet has enough poop to do the job. Out to the normal range of 3-400 yards, most calibers shoot fairly close to the same amount of drop, anyway.

I still do believe, however, that there is a point of no return, using real long/heavy bullets in cartridges with limited powder capacities. That is where the big casing becomes a bit better.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) where some are getting some 2700+ velocities, with the 156, from the Creed. I can see that as a possibility, as I get 2745 with the 147, using Reloder 26. I got up toward 2800, but things started getting a little sticky. I have never shot any bullet that hits steel any harder than that 147 Hornady. You really know when it hits. Deer have the same problem with it.

Really, with today's tactical-type turrets, range finders, etc., the trajectory becomes more insignificant, as long as the bullet has enough poop to do the job. Out to the normal range of 3-400 yards, most calibers shoot fairly close to the same amount of drop, anyway.

I still do believe, however, that there is a point of no return, using real long/heavy bullets in cartridges with limited powder capacities. That is where the big casing becomes a bit better.

2700fps from a 6.5CM would be fairly impressive. I’d wager they’re using small primer pocket brass and being very hard on it. Then again, I haven’t looked into RL-26 quite like I should. Nor am I using Lapua brass in my rig. I’m getting a sticky bolt lift before primers are completely flat. A little harder brass would let me run it a little hotter.

I just read about RL26 in a Creedmoor last night. I was ready to ditch mine for a PRC. Seeing some of those impressive velocities had me back in the reloading room last night. I set up a velocity ladder for latter today. Hoping I get the 140 moving a little faster than 2730.

2700fps from a 6.5CM would be fairly impressive. I’d wager they’re using small primer pocket brass and being very hard on it. Then again, I haven’t looked into RL-26 quite like I should. Nor am I using Lapua brass in my rig. I’m getting a sticky bolt lift before primers are completely flat. A little harder brass would let me run it a little hotter.

Reloder 26 is a pretty impressive powder in the Creed. The problem now, is getting ahold of some. It is pretty unobtanium. I use nothing but Hornady brass in my Creeds and also in my .260s. I have not had a problem getting pretty speedy loads from it. I have never used Lapua brass. I am too cheap, or uh, frugal. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back