6.5-284 Norma vs. 6.5-284 Winchester

Tangent aside,
It looks like a lee collet die for 6.5x55 will work if shimmed.
Not sure if the Redding completion shell holders would make easy work.

I gather you didn't making any brass or shooting BR.
Can you retype that where it makes sense?

Have I shot benchrest? Yes. I grew up shooting at a benchrest club and am a member, although benchrest has not interested me in quite sometime. One of the guys that taught me a good bit about reloading is a BR hall of fame member(recently passed after being in rough shape for a while, but won a registered match this summer).

Did I ever make 6BR brass from 308Win? No. Why would I? 6BR brass existed and was readily available by the time I built a 6BR. How have you not yet figured out that I’ve been talking about a 6BR and not a 6PPC this whole time?

I’m beginning to wonder why I bother answering you. You cannot properly comprehend much of what I’ve said.

Tangent aside,
It looks like a lee collet die for 6.5x55 will work if shimmed.
Not sure if the Redding completion shell holders would make easy work.
I’ve clearly missed something. Stuck on the dumb tangent. Why are we trying to use a 6.5x55 collet die to size 6.5-284Norma?

Last edited:
I’ve clearly missed something. Stuck on the dumb tangent. Why are we trying to use a 6.5x55 collet die to size 6.5-284Norma?
I'm helping a non-internet buddy looking for some RCBS dies for his 6.5-284 Norma. Is there a difference between the Norma and Winchester cartridges? Nobody seems to have any in stock and I'm on the alert list at RCBS but if anybody has an RCBS die set I would be interested in buying them.
John

As an alternative to difficult rcbs dies, a lee collet in 6.5x55 will neck size 6.5-284.

Can you retype that where it makes sense?

Have I shot benchrest? Yes. I grew up shooting at a benchrest club and am a member, although benchrest has not interested me in quite sometime. One of the guys that taught me a good bit about reloading is a BR hall of fame member(recently passed after being in rough shape for a while, but won a registered match this summer).

Did I ever make 6BR brass from 308Win? No. Why would I? 6BR brass existed and was readily available by the time I built a 6BR. How have you not yet figured out that I’ve been talking about a 6BR and not a 6PPC this whole time?

I’m beginning to wonder why I bother answering you. You cannot properly comprehend much of what I’ve said.
I understand what you said. I shot HBR with 30x44 and 30x44. I tried to delete my post to you. Reason I did, during change over to Laupa the 6BR didn't win any BR matches where I was shooting. It didn't have same capacity as Sako 220 Russian or Laupa 220 Russian. Back in those day I was shooting shooting IMI 7.62x39 and KP 7.62x39 both formed to my 6ppc chamber. I still have few. I'm not taking anything away from 6BR as it's better case long range.
I played around with 6BR shorten .085 and was called 6mm TALL DOG and Redding made the die. I also shot 6.5 Rem BR also Redding die.

I really didn't what to insult you. I can't understand anyone talk about BR that never shot what he was talking about. I had Speedy make HBR rifle with 2 barrel and Kelby made my light rifle Panda action. My heavy rifle I purchase from Skip Otto after he won Super Shoot. I got all his barrels and cases used in that rifle. I started out with Sinclair build sleeve XP tight neck 222.

My first HBR was Hammond build 308 tight neck. Bruno made bullets for that rifle. Short yardage nothing beat 6ppc. Since you grew up BR club I'm sure you can explain sighters so they don't get idea it hard to shoot BR.

Short yardage we had sighters.

I understand what you said. I shot HBR with 30x44 and 30x44. I tried to delete my post to you. Reason I did, during change over to Laupa the 6BR didn't win any BR matches where I was shooting. It didn't have same capacity as Sako 220 Russian or Laupa 220 Russian. Back in those day I was shooting shooting IMI 7.62x39 and KP 7.62x39 both formed to my 6ppc chamber. I still have few. I'm not taking anything away from 6BR as it's better case long range.
I played around with 6BR shorten .085 and was called 6mm TALL DOG and Redding made the die. I also shot 6.5 Rem BR also Redding die.

I really didn't what to insult you. I can't understand anyone talk about BR that never shot what he was talking about. I had Speedy make HBR rifle with 2 barrel and Kelby made my light rifle Panda action. My heavy rifle I purchase from Skip Otto after he won Super Shoot. I got all his barrels and cases used in that rifle. I started out with Sinclair build sleeve XP tight neck 222.

My first HBR was Hammond build 308 tight neck. Bruno made bullets for that rifle. Short yardage nothing beat 6ppc. Since you grew up BR club I'm sure you can explain sighters so they don't get idea it hard to shoot BR.

Short yardage we had sighters.
Well if you didn’t want to insult me, why on earth did you go on and on about how you can’t make a PPC from a 308Win, when what I said was that a 6BR(which they did make from 308Win brass early on) became popular during the shortage of 220 Russian brass? If you understood what I said, then where is the controversy? BR’s have won plenty of short range matches. They just never won them regularly.

I beat plenty of 30x44s and 30x47s with a .330” neck 308Win when I shot HBR. In my friend’s last match this summer he beat Speedy. Speedy did manage second place. (At least I think that was his last match. We only hold one registered match per year)

Last edited:
Semi interesting argument. I'm gonna guess that nobody has a set of RCBS dies that they want to sell?
I looked the other day for RCBS 6.5-284 and ran into a handful of sites that said Discontinued by Manufacturer. I have no idea what that means. It may be worth sending RCBS a message. They may be able to tell you when a production run is schedule.

You could look into one of the handful of custom die makers like CH4D or Whidden. A nice bushing die set from Whidden will set you back a pretty penny but you'd get a quality tool set and even have a seating stem for a specific bullet. Hornady will also make you a die based on once fired brass though that could take months.

^^^ I’m still painfully confused about why the OP would want to buy custom dies, or use dies that aren’t even for a 6.5-284? Redding, and Forster both make better dies than RCBS, and both make dies for 6.5-284. In the case of the 6.5-284, before Norma standardized with CIP, the most common version was simply a necked down 284Win with no changes. When Norma standardized it, the only changes they made other than necking down, we’re totally unrelated to the case or dies. Therefore, if the RCBS dies would have worked, then the Redding and Forster dies will work.

^^^ I’m still painfully confused about why the OP would want to buy custom dies, or use dies that aren’t even for a 6.5-284? Redding, and Forster both make better dies than RCBS, and both make dies for 6.5-284. In the case of the 6.5-284, before Norma standardized with CIP, the most common version was simply a necked down 284Win with no changes. When Norma standardized it, the only changes they made other than necking down, we’re totally unrelated to the case or dies. Therefore, if the RCBS dies would have worked, then the Redding and Forster dies will work.
OP claims that Hornady wasn't good enough, Redding wasn't what his buddy wanted, etc etc so that's why I offered the alternative suggestion.

At this point all you seem to just want to argue about shit and chest thump about your reloading prowess so get off your soapbox and calm down.

OP claims that Hornady wasn't good enough, Redding wasn't what his buddy wanted, etc etc so that's why I offered the alternative suggestion.

At this point all you seem to just want to argue about shit and chest thump about your reloading prowess so get off your soapbox and calm down.
Then Forster it is. Why should he go custom for a die that is offered from multiple factories?

I’d love to know what the supposed problem is with Redding if RCBS is acceptable other than perhaps the $65-$75 price tag for a standard two die set. CH4D and Whidden aren’t going to solve that particular problem.

Nice to see some talk about a man sized 6.5 for a change as opposed to all the short action needmore creedmore crowd .

Yes, I am just kidding around. No need to get upset.

Simple answers,,,,
Hornady neck size die bushing is Fubar. He's tired of fighting with it. He's not interested in Redding by his preference. I already spoke with RCBS before I posted. They are in the production line with availability unknown right now.
Resume the pissing match at will.

Well,,,, thanks for the tip but they are asking double the price that RCBS sells them for. Paying $110 bucks (w/shipping inc.) is kind of a rip off when RCBS price is $49.995 plus shipping. I'll wait out RCBS unless some land in my lap sooner.

Back