Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

5 Things about your dog

Some beautiful pups on here. Truly man’s best friend!

1) I may never want another dog that isn’t a golden retriever. Intelligent, calm and can’t be tested with temptation. If I say stay, he stays until told otherwise.

2) Kinda like the “dog and the moose” he has a special place in his heart for a fuzzy pillow. If he don’t lay her down daily, it effects #1

3) He can find a hidden shedhorn within 100 yard radius, (around the house) unless there is deer tracks and poop around. Then he just smells that instead.

4) had surgery to remove a tooth just a few months old.

5) you can leave any dish of food sitting around and he will not touch it. Period.

5.5) I think he understands and trusts us more than we understand or trust him..
- that changes a little every day, though, for the better.
Man I love Goldens. We have had two. Just got tired of the hair.

Sadie left us last October, so I no longer have a dog.

1. I saved her from my sister who turned every dog she ever had into a neurotic messed up beast.
2. She would fetch sticks and ducks all day long but never a goose. Hated geese.
3. She loved to hunt pheasant, grouse and quail but would give up on a trail if they didn't flush right away.
4. Sweetest, calmest, laziest dog I ever had and unlike every other dog I've had, she never destroyed anything I owned.
5, She had an un-natural love for me and never left my side the last five years of her life.

Miss that old girl.
SADIE.jpg

1. She and the wife hate each other equally

2. She will only listen to one person, me.

3. If you pull in our drive in a vehichle or amazon truck She will jump in and be your new dog. If you walk up on foot she's gonna eat you for lunch .

4. I thought I loved hunting more than anyone/anything until I had a dog.

5. She's not the best retriever by a long shot but you'd be better off talking shit about my family than that dog.
View attachment 261798View attachment 261799
Damn…those are some big honks!!

1. As an Airedale, he has been goofy since he was a pup. At 11, still goofy.
2. Loves the woods and especially the snow. Can't get him to come in some days when it snows, he just gathers his toys and lays in the snow with them.
3. Too smart for our good - so very, very glad he doesn't have thumbs.
4. I love hiking with him - except when he has to read the pee-mail and mark, hikes are very easy, any instruction I give him is like a conversation (same as the other two terriers). And I don't have to worry about a coyote trying to get him (85# of terrier).
5. He is the most devoted companion I have ever had. I catch myself getting choked up when I think about his age.

Attachments

• 19295C28-562C-4D73-974E-93D7243A5895.jpeg
    19295C28-562C-4D73-974E-93D7243A5895.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
This is Otis.
1. Excellent duck dog. Impeccable British blind matters. Quiet and stoic even on the slowest days.
2. Thinks it’s his duty to break before being released on one retrieve per hunt.
3. Pees on anything new, different, tall, smelly or tire-like, especially the packages dropped in the yard by the UPS guy.
4. Doesn’t think his 75 pounds is too big to be a lap dog.
5. Best damned dog I’ve ever had.

Attachments

• 60704CB0-8D04-4CD3-B314-9ACE39C2A1A6.jpeg
    60704CB0-8D04-4CD3-B314-9ACE39C2A1A6.jpeg
    689.1 KB · Views: 9
20221225_125901.jpg
1. Can hear foodie sounds from a mile away.
2. Gentlest dog I have ever seen. Incredible with small children.
3. Has us well trained.
4. Spoiled rotten. He's laying on his bed using his blanket and other bed as a pillow.
5. Couldn't ask for a better friend.

He's a ten year old lab/healer mix. Got all the lazy of both breeds. Crazy smart dog that has figured out the different behavior patterns needed to manipulate me, my wife or son to get the snack or attention he wants.

1. Been living with my wife and I for the last 3 weeks.
2. Bites me, a lot
3. Enjoys chewing on the 10 yr old GSP that is her roommate
4 Has finally learned her name, and how to come to me when called (if I have a treat)
5. Other than that, she pees on the floor and eats and chews on her toys

Hoping she likes to chase pheasants and grouse. Will hopefully find out this fall.

Attachments

• Zip Dog (002).jpg
    Zip Dog (002).jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 16
1. He thinks he has to tell the world every blade of grass is his territory. This includes random places where a deer peed.
2. Every evening he curls up on the couch with his head on me to fall asleep.
3. He thinks every store we go into must have treats behind the counter(and they always do) and any sack you open up must be treats for him.
4. Everyone loves him. Except my brother's dog who's also a griffon and a month younger than him.
5. He loves to go for drives and will sit next to me in my work truck so I can put my arm around him as he watches and pays attention to everything. When I get in a vehicle without him, I'm so used to him being with me it's noticeable.

1. First hound that’s taught me more than I thought I could have ever learned.
2. Caught his first solo bobcat this year.
3. Puts up with the others as long as they don’t have his spot on the couch.
4. Loves his solo time (pack outs, hiking, etc)
5. Lazy as they come until he sees the garmins get loaded.

Attachments

• 9F2D37FB-7F70-4BF8-B62F-9733FBDB7926.jpeg
    9F2D37FB-7F70-4BF8-B62F-9733FBDB7926.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 6
  • F27F6D06-DB48-4391-9C9E-9BB9B0AD0857.jpeg
    F27F6D06-DB48-4391-9C9E-9BB9B0AD0857.jpeg
    721.3 KB · Views: 6
  • B910EF49-489A-4B6A-81E6-7FD06BF8525F.jpeg
    B910EF49-489A-4B6A-81E6-7FD06BF8525F.jpeg
    721 KB · Views: 6
1) the best nose I've ever witnessed on a dog, unfortunately I didn't get her young enough to shape it into usefulness.

2) the most prey drive I've ever witnessed in a dog, though that's mellowed with age. When she was 2 I could crank an ecollar til it would cause her to jerk and she wouldn't break off of a squirrel.

3) bullies the heck out of the toddler, stealing all his food if we aren't watching.

4) gets terrorized by the toddler who thinks she's a horse and her tail is a pull toy.

5) the only dog that's ever won the battle and slept in our bed.20221225_095710.jpg20221014_115745.jpg

1. She was free but got me back into water fowling so she's expensive.
2. My son insisted on her name after reading the book that made me want a dog to hunt with.
3. She is really kind of a wuss.
4. I really didn't want her but can't imagine not having her.
5. She is currently ranked number 2 on my list of all dogs owned but at only 2 she could make #1.20221113_112329.jpg
20230101_134743.jpg
stormy.jpg

1) Most Herding drive and most talent of any herding dog I've ever owned.
2) She could tell time. She would bark at 6 am every morning to tell us to get up.
3)Did not have an off switch.
4) Had an obsession with herding the horses (which I think is why I got her from her previous owner)
5) that Obsession proved fatal...

1. No one else in the family wanted another hunting dog after the last one. But I trumped them and got one anyway.
1674496045140.png
2. He's bigger than I wanted.
1674496216794.png

3. He prefers to lay Superman style
1674495985172.png
4. I've never had to say anything to him while hunting. He just gets it. He comes with I call, checks in at the right frequency, constantly adjusts to my body language and direction. Chills when I chill. All without any training whatsoever.
1674496133578.png
5. Is absolutely the best dog I've ever owned. He wants to please you more than anything. Everyone loves him. Even my wife was caught reminding the kids to enjoy and appreciate him, because they don't make many dogs like him. He may very well be a once in a lifetime pup.
1674496431185.png

Last edited:
Ginger
1. Pound pup. She was 3 (maybe) when I got her.
2. Not smart and doesnt have much prey drive
3. Will not lick your face but will lick your hands until you just cannot stand it anymore.
4. Very Gentle, and very obedient.
5. By far the easiest dog I have ever trained. All she ever needed was a confident human.

She is by far my favorite dog I have ever had.
IMG_20230122_134850.jpg

Then there is Brutus:

1. He is a little special ed
2. Has been pretty easy to train but his dense skull makes some concepts unobtainable.
3. He is a big ol lazy bum but his puppy teenage phase its quite the sight to see.
4. Loves people. Mostly loves my wife but he doesn't listen to her for nothing lol He is very attentive to me.
5. His snoring is absolutely horrendous

IMG_20221220_081508.jpg

3D5A5195-1D63-41D6-9576-54E7A2D9834A.jpeg
1. Ted came from the Crow Rez. I thought I was driving to Billings to pick up a border collie pup.
2. Ted is 95 lbs. DNA test showed he’s 25% boxer, 12% border collie, German shepherd, Akita, and Alaskan malamute, and 25% unknown.
3. He’s the furthest thing from a hunting dog. Loves water but won’t swim, loves chase but won’t retrieve, doesn’t listen worth a damn, and is so timid that a book closing too loud will send him running for the hills.
4. He won’t go through a door that isn’t open with at least 6” clearance on each side of his body. Also won’t go over cords on the ground.
5. The cat loves him more than he loves her. But he still will happily sit on her if that puts him close to me.

pretty sure my dog is mildly autistic

1) she will not cuddle, absolutely will not, unless she can be on a bed or couch. she has issues with personal space and touching and will run away to find something to put in her mouth if you try to cuddle her.
2) she frantically must find something to put in her mouth before she can greet you upon coming home. anything, literally anything, but typically socks and shoes or a fragment of her favorite blanket. she will sprint circles around the house upon your arrival looking for something to put in her mouth before she will greet you.
3) she still eats her poo
4) she absolutely must sit in my chair with me while i work from home
5) she would fetch without stopping till she died. like most retrievers i'm sure.

i absolutely love this dog.

IMG-1221 (1).jpgIMG-0184.jpg

IMG-8922.jpgIMG-6962 (1).JPEG

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back