5 mm Craig

Quarter Round

It is a conversion of the 5 mm Remington rimfire mag rifle to centerfire.

Do any of you load the 5 mm Craig, a wildcat round? Any particular problems with handloading or shooting? How is the performance on small varmints?

Quarter Round.. I don't have one anymore. I've sold it to a friend in Poway, CA. Never shot anything but paper with it, but it performed on paper quite well. The cases showed a marked preference for H335. The guy in San Diego who does this conversion has more info..

:cool:

danr55,
I have the Rem 592 and have made several false starts at converting it to the 5 mm Craig, but keep backing off from it. I really liked the rifle as a rimfire and it was great for groundhog, crow, etc. in the small farm and wood lots. I don't think it would be reliable on coyotes with the exception of close range and precision shots.

I'll post on some of the other forums and possibly get more information. Hate to spend $200 plus for the set up and not have a shooter.

I don't mean to be insulting, but what else are you going to do with a 5mm Remington? Unless you have a ton of ammo, you're stuck ..

May want to check with Old Western Scrounger, as I've been told they made a run of ammo a few years back. Just some FYI.

There is a shop in Zephyrhills, Fl. called Muzzy's that vhad 5 boxes of 5mm Rem.
I don't know if he still has them, but he was asking $45.00 per box! :D

quarter round, i had one of those and got rid of it because i couldnt afford the ammo. i have kicked myself ever since and now i know a place with a ton of ammo. they are still proud of it but at least i know where it is. dont re do it. SELL IT TO ME. if you ever decide please give me first option.

The factory rim fire ammo is way overpriced and in ever decreasing supply. The conversion can be done by replacing the bolt head face to a center fire and maintaining the ability to convert it back or machining which cannot be undone. The initial outlay for the starter package is a little more than the price of 4 boxes of the factory ammo.
tnctcb> I don't plan on parting with the rifle.

Quarter Round, I just found out today that there is a place in England that is producing the 5mm Rem ammo in bulk. I will get contact info for you tomorrow..

danr55 appreciate the help. Thanks

Had the rifle converted and having a ball shooting it. Hope this picture is viewable it is my first attempt at posting a picture.
f6781898.jpg

[ 10-28-2004, 20:52: Message edited by: Quarter Round ]

Well, I never did find any more info on the place in the UK that made the ammo.. except now they have the .204 Ruger that is very similar to what you already have. I'm glad it shoots for you though..

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back