Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

5 Deer Hunters Dead in Wisconsin....

The amazing thing is other than being mentioned briefly on the national news, there is no big national story about this. I would have thought the media would be all over this. Strangely quite.

"Residents have complained that the Hmong, refugees from Laos, do not understand the concept of private property and hunt wherever they see fit. In Minnesota, a fistfight once broke out after Hmong hunters crossed onto private land, said Ilean Her, director of the Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans, based in St. Paul."

I couldn't read about it until just now, its just so crazy. They don't understand private property, they don't understand murder. What do they understand? Hmong, man, I think they should refuse to sell them guns. Don't they have to be a citizen to get a gun? Doesn't that mean they know some US laws?

Its just unreal.

On our hunting with blinds and tree stands and tripods, I would back off, if I saw someone while approaching a blind. Its usually that somebody got lost, somebody got cross communication, so why ruin both people's hunt? I would just back off and deal with it later if it happened here. We have months to hunt deer though, they just have 9 days in WI, so every day is worth a lot to them.

Sixth hunter shot in deer stand dispute dies

CNN) -- A sixth hunter died Monday from wounds suffered in a weekend shooting in Wisconsin, a hospital official said.

The man who opened fire on a group of deer hunters Sunday in northwestern Wisconsin was using a deer stand on private property before the shooting began, Sawyer County Sheriff James Meier said earlier Monday.

A suspect is in custody -- 36-year-old Chai Wang of St. Paul, Minnesota -- but no formal charges have been filed against him, Meier told reporters.

"This is an incredible tragedy," Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle said. "One in which a great family tradition like a deer hunt has turned into such a great loss for the families involved. The whole state of Wisconsin feels the deepest sympathy and pain."

The shootings occurred Sunday in Sawyer County after a hunter returning to a rural cabin saw a man in a deer stand, a platform built in a tree to give hunters a better view, on private property. The hunter radioed someone to ask about the man's presence there.

Meier said the man had apparently been hunting, gotten lost and stopped a couple of hunters to ask for directions. He wandered onto 400 acres of private land.

The other hunter "approached the person and asked him to leave, at which time the landowners and the occupants of the cabin came on the scene. The suspect got down from the deer stand, walked approximately 40 yards, fiddled with his rifle in some way ... turned and opened fire on the group," Meier said.

When other hunters appeared on the scene, they also were hit by gunfire, Meier said. Some of the people suffered multiple gunshot wounds. The shooter used an SKS 7.62 mm semiautomatic rifle, the sheriff said.

Two bodies were found near each other, and the others were found over an area of about 100 yards, he said.

The dead were identified Monday as Robert Crotteau, 42, and his son, Joey Crotteau, 20; Al Laski, 43; Mark Roidt, 28; and Jessica Willers, 27, the daughter of Terry Willers, who was wounded. The man who died Monday was identified as Denny Drew, 55. One other hunter was also hurt.

After the incident, the shooter got lost again and was led from the woods by two hunters who were unaware of the incident. A Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back from a description given by one of the shooting victims, said Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle of the Sawyer County Sheriff's Department.

"We were very thankful to take him into custody. No one else got hurt," Zeigle said. "When he was taken into custody, his gun was empty."

The killings have stunned Exeland, a village of 219 people about 135 miles northeast of Minneapolis.

Barron County Sheriff Tom Richie said the victims "Are all well-known, well-respected members of the community."

Saturday was the opening of the nine-day deer season.

I know that Last Night WH was Pretty pissed off about this. I agree. I don't care if they are hunters or not they were people and it is a shame that thier lives were taken away by a no good son of a Beach. Again

DEATH PENALTY

USE IT MORE PEOPLE!

I had the unique opportunity to live for two years in Wisconsin and teach Hmong people english as a second laguage as service. I also taught them to read and write. They are a wonderful people and at least in Wisconsin made more of a contribution than the white trash that lived around them. I knew none that were on welfare. They worked several jobs, learned english and became integrated. Besides a bout of food poisoning from their raw pork soup I loved my time with them.

The Hmong people fought valiently FOR US in Loas, just to get the shaft.

This shooting has nothing to do with being Hmong. In fact most Hmong people are better people than the "natives" I new.

Furthermore, it was the same kind of bad ass white superiority I hear from you guys that got the Wisconsin guys in trouble. The shooter said that they made racial slurrs and shot in his direction. After that point he's protecting himself. It's pretty stupid to says slurrs and threaten someone with a gun. Now they have eternity to think about it, I guess.

If someone pointed a gun toward me and made threats, I would shoot for the center of mass and only stop when every threat was removed.

He is talking and claiming he is the victim. I don't care if he is Hmong, or a born and bred American he should still hang. Here is his side of the story. Which sounds kinda contrived to me. If someone is shooting at me I ain taking the time to remove the scope, to shoot back.

HAYWARD, Wis. - A Hmong immigrant suspected of killing six fellow deer hunters in the Wisconsin woods told investigators that he opened fire after they took a shot at him first and hurled racial slurs at him, according to court papers filed Tuesday.

A judge set bail at $2.5 million for Chai Vang, 36, of St. Paul, Minn., who was jailed on suspicion of murder and attempted murder.

The shootings occurred Sunday after Vang climbed into a tree stand on private property and got into a confrontation with the landowner and members of his hunting party.

On Monday, authorities gave an account in which they made no mention of any of the victims taking the first shot. Instead, they said that after the other hunters told the trespasser to get out of the tree, Vang walked off, then wheeled and opened fire.

One of the witnesses, a hunter who was wounded in the shootings, gave a statement contradictory to Vang's. Lauren Hesebeck said a member of the hunting party shot at Vang only after he started firing at them, according to court documents.

A representative of Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager, who is prosecuting the case, said she would not comment on the documents.

Vang, an immigrant from Laos, was arrested about four hours after the shootings as he emerged from the woods with his empty semiautomatic rifle. Five people died in the woods; a sixth died Monday in a hospital. Two others were wounded.

Vang's account was included in court documents that were used to convince a judge that there was probable cause to hold him on suspicion of murder.

According to Vang's story, he got lost while hunting on public land and ended up in the vacant tree stand _ a raised platform used by hunters to see deer and shoot down at them. Vang told investigators he did not realize he was on private property.

Landowner Terry Willers approached, asking why Vang was there and pointed out he was on private property. Vang said he told Willers he had not seen any "no trespassing" signs, climbed down from the stand and started to walk away. Authorities say Willers owns the land along with Robert Crotteau, one of the victims.

Vang said he heard Willers call on a walkie-talkie, and five or six men on all-terrain vehicles approached a few moments later. Vang said the group surrounded him, and some used racial slurs.

He said that he was told to get off the property, and as he started walking away, he turned back and saw Willers point a gun at him from about 100 feet away. He told investigators he immediately dropped to a crouch, and Willers shot at him, the bullet hitting the ground 30 to 40 feet behind Vang.

Vang said he removed the scope from his rifle and began firing, continuing to shoot as the group scattered. He said one of the victims, Joey Crotteau, tried to run away, but Vang chased him, got within 20 feet and shot him in the back. Crotteau, 20, was killed. Willers was wounded and was listed in fair condition Tuesday.

Vang said as he began to run, an ATV with two people drove past and he fired three or four times, causing both people to fall off the machine. He said that he looked up the trail, saw that one of the men was standing, yelled, "You're not dead yet?" and fired one more shot in the man's direction. He said he did not know if he hit the man or not.

Vang said he then ran away.

Authorities have said there was only one gun among the eight hunters.

There have been previous clashes between Southeast Asian and white hunters in the region. Hunters have complained the Hmong do not understand the concept of private property and hunt wherever they want. The tension once led to a fistfight in Minnesota.

About 24,000 Hmong live in St. Paul, the highest concentration of any U.S. city. Vang's arrest made some Hmong citizens in his hometown fearful of a backlash. Hmong leaders condemned the shootings and offered condolences to victims' families.

"What happened in Wisconsin is in no way representative of the Hmong people and what they stand for," said Cha Vang, no relation to the suspect.

Sang Vang said his brother has lived in the United States for more than 20 years and is a U.S. Army veteran.

Chai Vang has no criminal record with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Police in St. Paul said there had been two domestic violence calls to his home in the past year, but both were resolved without incident.

___

Associated Press writer Gregg Aamot in St. Paul, Minn., contributed to this report.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

hem, you forgot to mention the fact that this great upstanding hmong killer was poaching and trespassing. he had a mn. tag not wis. and you don't just wander onto 4oo acres of private property that is clearly posted. we have nothing but trouble with the hmong because they don't care about private property. and they will poach anything with fur or feathers. he should have never made it out of the woods alive.

oh, and just to set the record straight, they fought valiantly to save their own asses not ours. we were training them to defend themselves.

Hemmorage, give me a F##king break. You really believe they fired the first shot, besides, why then if there was one gun did he kill everyone in sight including a woman that was unarmed. If you believe this crap go back to Laos with the rest of the immigrating bastards. I have had first hand dealing with the hmong and thier disrespect for the US born beople and held off until now to say this, but they DO not care about tresspassing,Game laws, and our rules here. and this is the second time there is a susupected killing by a tresspassing hmong in 3 years. I have a good friend that was bow hunting on his Private land and 3 of them walked past his stand with rifles (squirrel hunters) and when he told them to get out they waved the gun at him, jokingly shooting him and jibbered gook talk and laughed. This guy said if he had a gun rather than a bow he would have opened fire on them because of the rage he had for the disrespect.
Hell the papers said he was busted for having 75 fish over his limit at one time last year, that is typicl hmong attitude for hunting and fishing. I have a game warden that deals with them all the time and anytime he busts one he gets the "no speak english" bullshit even though he knows damn well the game they are playing.
I am sick of the majority of them. I dealt with them plenty of times and am sick of them ruining the sport of hunting. Something needs to be done, like denying them weapons until they fully understand english, rules, and respect for they way WE do things in this country. If they dont like it get back on the slow boat to Loas. Its not racist, its just the fact a very large majority have no respect for rules. Besides, the law states you do not have to post your private land in wisconsin, its the responsibility of the hunter to research ahead of time what is private.

If one of the landowners crew fired at the Hmong first, the bullet will probably be found. This a tragedy and I'm not defending the Hmong shooter, but I've known a few of Hmong and have a lot of respect for the ones I knew. I put a topic in SI about hunting with one. Title is "Rare Weapon..."

Wow, pretty different information there. I remember reading about sports events in the paper in high school. They never got the stats right, they would know who won, but all the details were messed up. I sure learned to distrust the newspaper back then, but maybe high school sports was not a high priority. Still, it was easy numbers and they were just about always in error. Maybe they assigned the dumbest reported to high school sports, I don't know. It left an impression on me though, reading all the mistakes, in the paper.

I worked with Hmongs a bit, too, as an advisor to them and "Ruff-Puff"s. Their attitudes were not the ones we hold dear. When you do not know if you or your children will survive, you have less concern about "rights and property." That said, this guy has lived here for over 20 years - like many other immigrant groups, it is past time for them to assimilate our cultural norms.

"Racial slurs" do not merit the death penalty.

Authorities in Wisconsin are now saying that the shooter in this tragic event may have also been responsible for a similar shooting in 2001. In addition they think he may have 2-3 guys with him.

Pulled this off another website, anyone here anything about this?

Delw

i thought deer hunting in wisconsin was limited to shotguns with slugs, so what is this guy doing with a rifle of any kind. if the guy had time to TAKE HIS SCOPE OFF HIS RIFLE he certainlly had time to get the hell out of there. :confused:

Back