Caribou Gear Tarp

5.56 ammo

ttinman23

Going to start stock piling ammo for emergency purposes. Anyone with knowledge what manufacture and grain bullet would be best for a Stag-15 and a Bushmaster?

Going to start stock piling ammo for emergency purposes. Anyone with knowledge what manufacture and grain bullet would be best for a Stag-15 and a Bushmaster?

I'll stock pile anything; the more the merrier, but the standard 62 gr mil is good enough for me. I wanted what the was going to be plenty of floating around if needed. I had my M-forgery built to the standard issue round, rather than buying a weapon and trying find a round for it. When I was researching it was bbl length and rate of twist that governed performance of a given round. Maybe a ballistics guru will come along and straighten us out.

Wow, you guys are a couple weeks behind the curve. Obama is threatening to use exec action on the 62 grain steel core type and now another buying frenzy has erupted. even standard FMJ is hard to get or prices went up again because of the buying.. Some stuff has doubled in price in the last 2 weeks. Sorry to bring the bad news.

Wow, you guys are a couple weeks behind the curve. Obama is threatening to use exec action on the 62 grain steel core type and now another buying frenzy has erupted. even standard FMJ is hard to get or prices went up again because of the buying.. Some stuff has doubled in price in the last 2 weeks. Sorry to bring the bad news.

I'm set for life but if I ever *needed* any more I'd take it.

It depends on your barrel's twist rate but generally 55 grn to 62 grn should be good to go.

Better deal is to stock up on components. You might still have time to find enough.

Was in Cabelas here in Billings yesterday talking to a guy I know at the gun counter. They had "zero" .223 ammo left on the 3 bare shelves. He said it was nuts after the Obama scare was announced. Let the new frenzy start all over again.

I ordered 500 rounds of .223 this week from Freedom Munitions. Got email today saying the package has shipped. While its not the dirt cheap plinking ammo, it should last me awhile. They still have lots of ammo in stock as well.

Yep! I wonder what type of an "emergency" the OP envisions that stocking up on that particular ammo would be! The BATF is only talking about one particular bullet and with the NRA and everyone else battling it I doubt that they will go through with it to begin with.

I only purchased the 500 rounds because I just finished building my AR-15. Everything local was out of stock or steel case. Now I have 500 rounds to shoot up and then start reloading.

I am surprised cowboy said Cabelas was out of .223- last time I was in there they had a lot of Wolf ammo, but that was a few months ago.

My work has sold a solid pallet worth of bulk .223 and 5.56 in the 1000 round variety in the last week and a half and just got in 5000 rounds of the green tip which is sold in boxes of 20 and that is barely selling surprisingly.

Hoarders are the biggest factor in the price of ammo in the last 20 years.

Hoard on

That is only a small part of it. I talked with reps from Federal at the SHOT show and it is interesting. Keep in mind that the popularity of the AR-15 has skyrocketed the last decade. I would guess the amount of people that own that platform has tripled or more. Now take the ammo makers who say they have not done nearly as much to increase the machine capabilities to combat that. As for .22LR, it is not something they will up production machining on because they do not make enough money on .22 ammo to worry about it. They will put the metals into ammo they make money on and could give a crap about who needs what.
The giant ammo purchase that the homeland security did also created a shortage in civilian markets. Federal had a huge government contract they had to fill and they were giving priority to filling that order. That order has been filled and now things are stating to get back to normal until something like this new proposed ruling pops up. Most hoarders already have what they need, this new buying frenzy is those who do not have what they feel they need in the future. Hoarders are smart IMO, they have it, and got it cheap. can't hate on them too much for that. 3 weeks ago 5.56 could be had for .20 cents a round. if you did not buy a supply then when it was all over the place and now is all gone who's fault is that? not a hoarder, by now you should have learned your lesson about having a supply for your needs instead of buying every time you want to shoot.

Last edited:
Hoarders are smart IMO, they have it, and got it cheap. can't hate on them too much for that.

This ^^ Buy what you want/need low and in bulk.

Those who buy high during a frenzy? :confused:

Both may be "hoarders" but there is a distinction with a difference.

Perishability is of limited concern. I plink ancient (early 1900s mil surplus) 30-06 and it works fine; no problems with old 5.56 or .45 acp either.

This whole thing is a joke. The politicians and beauricrats for pushing people's buttons for no reason, the MSM for blowing it into something huge, and the consumer buying it hook-line-sinker.

We have seen this same pattern a dozen times now. Whether you see the value in greentips or not, this is about the same as banning yoga pants.

I hardly ever buy green tips as it is more expensive. Like you said, consumers buying it hook line and sinker, or maybe smart shoppers just bought when it was cheap and still available and the rest of the shoppers who are too late are wishing they did. I know that the next lull in the frenzy when I see brass cased 5.56 down to 30 cents a round I am buying 2000 rounds. I burned through 300 rounds last weekend in a short time and wish I had more reserves. It will come back down in price, my bet is by fall.

Bet a lot of guys buying up all the overpriced .223 are feeding it to those 3 and 4 thousand dollar ARs. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back