Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

4Runner for hunting

Anybody go from a truck to a 4runner? I love 4runners but think I'd miss the ability to throw nasty junk in the back of a truck. What does the 4runner get u that a truck with a camper shell won't (aside from the fact that they are a better overall vehicle).

Just ordered some Bilstein 5100 shocks with the 15% ebay discount. Next up is gonna be all terrain tires and ceramic window tint.

I went for a 4runner to a Landcuriser only for more room and the V8...however, the 4runner is a great rig. I have a front bumper and warn8000 winch, high jack, tree straps, bigger tires, shovel and traxmats. That will get you out of most things you get yourself into...I haven't been stuck yet...but if I do, I can atleast get myself out.

...ARB airlocker is nice too, but kinda pricey.

Had them on my bronco front and back. Incredible mod! As for the winch, amazing tool. Aside from the air lockers, best tool on my bronco was the winch. The guy who owned it before me was an electrician and four wheel fanatic, he had the winch on a frame that slid into your tow hitch and had a hitch frame front and back. Had the winch tied into a plug in system and had cables ran to both hitch connections. Being able to use the winch from both ends was great.

A high lift jack is useless on a stock 4Runner. (I’m on my third) You will fold up the stock bumpers with it rather than jack it up. If you have an aftermarket bumper you may be able to use it as a jacking point, or you can jack with the receiver hitch if you are brave ennough.

There is a hook/strap you can get that allows you to anchor on the wheels to use a hi-lift jack. I've also used receiver hitches and brush guards as lift points.

2DAC0649-500C-41E6-86A1-82F877D5EB38.jpg
I picked up this gen 3 earlier this summer... less than 180,000on it, straight drive. I’m probably going to give my 2003 Tacoma the season off And drive this one. Pretty exited about it... looking into a winch front bumper and a rack system for the roof.

I have a 2nd Gen Xterra, and added a small Yakima RocketBox on the factory roof rack. Really like it for keeping my car camping stuff (sleeping bags, tent, camp chairs, camp table, camp stove) up there. That keeps the cargo area free for coolers/packs/gun or bow cases/bulky stuff. The Xterra isn't a daily driver, so the rocket box is the permanent storage area for the tent/chairs/table. I also removed the back seats which freed up a ton of room. Not sure if that is an option for how you will use the 4Runner in terms of hauling 3+ people, but removing the seats was a nice "subtraction addition" as well to make an SUV more hunt capable.

Just had my Bilstein 5100s and my BFG KO2 put on this morning. It's amazing how much better it looks now. At least it does to me. Lol

I bought a Haul Master cargo hauler from Harbor Freight. I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet, but it doesn't make any noise going down the road.

I have a 2008, currently with 132,000 miles. I added an RCI skid plate and a set of Shrock Works rock rails, mainly to get jacking points.

My big question remaining is putting chains on the front. I was thinking about spacers to get more chain clearance, but decided against it. Anyone have experience with front chains on their 4runner?

Good luck.

There is a hook/strap you can get that allows you to anchor on the wheels to use a hi-lift jack. I've also used receiver hitches and brush guards as lift points.
Cool! I will look into this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back