Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

$496.75

I hope every hunter in America agrees with you, as I will be happy to take one of the leftover tags and put 175 lbs of top grade meat in the freezer for less than $3/lb.

Worth is a personal evaluation. Since I live in a state with limited elk hunting opportunities and the fact that I'm a meat hunter it would be worth it to me. Especially if the odds of harvest were favorable. If I lived in Wyoming then I probably wouldn't pay that amount for a cow elk tag.

Apparently lots of people... it was $481 in '17 and $469 in 16'... etc. etc.

The price is tied to the CPI and last I heard the department wasn't having a hard time selling tags.

But yeah, you can hunt caribou in ak for the price of an out of state elk hunt in CO...

I would pay it for a quality experience. I bought a Wyoming Type 4 tag back when they were around $600 and shot my first elk, was worth every penny to me.

Now would it be my first choice? No, I'd rather draw a quality buck or bull tag, but when all apps fail I'd rather have a quality antlerless hunt than a crowded, frustrating OTC hunt (not that all are like that).

Really, that's still pretty good price per pound for elk meat..

Comparable to private hunts in New Mexico. Brother has bought several and gives to meat to his hunting partner. Likes to hunt.

I have thought about it and still haven't pulled the trigger. At that price and cost entailed in elk hunt, it is pretty much even.

Just feels wrong to me. If I needed the meat. I would.

Ted Turner sells many on his ranch ( vermejo ranch, I think). Comparative costs and much more chance of success!

Not if I could get a bull tag or had plenty of meat in the freezer. It’s not the worst meat price if success is likely. Heck your odds are probably better than a CO OTC bull, the meat quantity is probably similar and the antlers on a lot of those OTC bulls aren’t worth paying extra for. That’s not to say that I’m not jealous of some of those OTC CO bulls.

My dad and I did last year on what should have been a high success cow tag. Unfortunately, the drought pushed most of the cows from public onto private where there was water and we ended up with tag soup. We had a fun experience in a new landscape and would (and likely will) do it again. To me, whether I can bring home antlers or not is low on the list of determining whether a tag is worth the price.

Not worth it to me. I did get an email blast last week for a 5-day guided private land cow elk hunt. Did not include the tag. Did not include meals. Nor the motel.

$2500.

I wonder how many cow elk hunters take all 5 days to find or decide on a cow elk on private land?

Not worth it to me. I did get an email blast last week for a 5-day guided private land cow elk hunt. Did not include the tag. Did not include meals. Nor the motel.

$2500.

I wonder how many cow elk hunters take all 5 days to find or decide on a cow elk on private land?

I know a guy that pays for a guided cow elk hunt on the Jicarilla every year and spends most of the week. I don’t remember how much it costs...more than I’d pay for sure.

Last edited:
Apparently a lot of non-res hunters are willing to pay that much for a cow elk tag. In NV non-res applicants had as high as 4 bonus points for cow elk tags so there seems to be quite a demand for them.
Non-res hunters pay $500 for the tag and $155 for a non-res licence.

Who's gonna pony up for a CO Cow tag?
Is a cow tag worth that to non-residents?

Just curious, but I couldn't see paying that to go hunt WY/MT/ID or anywhere else for a cow.

I've had some great elk tags and killed a couple bulls bigger than most hunters will kill. That being said one of my favorite if not my favorite elk hunt was a cow hunt in Colorado. So yep I will pay the price if I have time in my schedule again.

I hope every hunter in America agrees with you, as I will be happy to take one of the leftover tags and put 175 lbs of top grade meat in the freezer for less than $3/lb.
I think you're forgetting a few expenditures. I'm a Co resident, and spend at least that to hunt in state.

Back