Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.458 the Struggle is real!

Texas_Jaeger

Hi and hello,

after just 9 month waiting time I finally got my .458 Ham’R and struggling what optic I should use. In the beginnen I wanted to go with a Eotech Vudu 2-10 or Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12, I have no doubt those will handle the recoil well and (I own a Trijicon) are fantastic optics.
But the longer I waited and the more read about the .458 (Socom) in the field the more I think about Eotech Exps Holo sight with magnifier or Prism Scope with Red Dot.
I am always thinking the prism scopes have a too small reticle and short eye relief.
the Holosight seems to tick all boxes but the word is, magnifiers have a negative impact on the reticle (make them too
Big) and your field of view and both eye open capabilities are gone.
Low power AR - Scooes could work, but I heard bad things about durability on .458s - in fact Vortex and Leupold stated they don’t recommend the (cheaper) AR Scopes for that caliber.
What are your recommendations and experiences? How hard is it to place a good shot at 100-150 yards with a Holosight?
On open fields I assume it’s easy peasy but in the forest after let’s say 80yards hogs start blending in the environment pretty well, and the kill zone isn’t that big on that game.

I run Leupold Delta Points on mine up in Alaska. They are out almost every day either in the float planes or on boats and carried by my guides as they hike into remote fishing streams. The first one I have was mounted in about 2009 and only been adjusted once or twice. Rifle two has been mounted about 5 years and has not been adjusted, rifle 3 a 45/70 will be it’s second season. My longest shot was 225 on a porcupine. At DLP distance all you see is the bear and the red dot. Works pretty dang good and as stated they’ve been abused like hell. Other than the Marlin Guide gun these are AR Platforms.

I think your initial thought is the way to go - Trijicon Accupoint. Great glass, tough as nails, and the illuminated reticle.

Yes I kind of think that’s really a good option. Flexible and need no battery.
and low light quality is just outstanding.

any experience with the EoTech Vudu?

A 1-6 scope is a good option as somebody else stated. At 1x you can shoot with both eyes open like a red dot, but if you want to crank it up to reach out and touch someone youre golden. I have a 1-6×28 zeiss conquest on my .243 and its great. Just put a 1-8 vortex strike eagle on my .450 bushmaster, and with the mag cranked up to 8 the eye relief is a bit short. When i set myself up to see through at that magnification, shooting off the bench, i can count on the scope smacking me in the face at each shot. Also dont like the reticle on the vortex. The strike eagle is maybe not a good scope for guns with significant recoil. Wish i had a couple more of the zeiss scopes.

It’s only a .458. Dial it up and lean into that sucker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back