Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

450 or 45-70

And you probably can guess which I would pick... :)

No question, I would opt for the .45-70. I'd go for a single shot over a multishooter like a Marlin lever gun, but either way, the .45-70s rules.

As a single shot, it is a lot friendlier for shooting with blackpowder, and who wouldn't want to do that? You could also build yourself a real "beanfield rifle" if you wanted. The .45-70 has the power for any range that you are capable of. I'm not so sure the .450 would be much of a long range rifle. I am not aware of the rifling twist in .450 barrels, but I would wager it is very slow in comparison to even lever rifles in .45-70. Singleshot .45-70s are usually barreled with an 18" twist and will handle bullets well in excess of 500 grs for true long range capabilities.

That said, i don't see Iowa outlawing ARs anytime soon, but that would be a might clunky hunting rifle for sure.

I will completely second all of this. My first western hunt was done with a 45-70 loaded with black powder. They sure put the wallop on animals. the ole gal on the right has some miles on it!IMG_4619.jpg

Last edited:
We were not hunting them, it was an opportunity harvest.

Brent see if you can find the story about the two fisherman in Alaska that had no idea a brown bear was right behind and watching them and post it for the fellows. I saw the story earlier today but can not find it now. It was a cool picture story.

I had never seen that one before.

I was sort of thinking of this however...
"Just waiting for my order of fish tacos."
Is that along the Brooks River? I had the adventure of fishing @ Brooks Lodge in about 1975, the big brownies would stand on the bank waiting for you to throw them your fish. Panhandling. Hard to argue w 9 feet of hungry bruin.

"Just waiting for my order of fish tacos."
Is that along the Brooks River? I had the adventure of fishing @ Brooks Lodge in about 1975, the big brownies would stand on the bank waiting for you to throw them your fish. Panhandling. Hard to argue w 9 feet of hungry bruin.
I don't know where it is from but you can see there is a board walk to the river so it is some sort of well known area. Looks like a crazy place to be that exposed with that many bears.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back