Caribou Gear

450 Bushmaster - Grad Gift

TN2shot07

I'm trying to plan while I still have time, my little brother will be graduating high school next year (May '24).

My wife and I have gone back and forth on graduation gifts. I'm leaning toward a rifle. One of the only things he has been consistent about as long as I can remember is wanting a 450 Bushmaster. I have no idea why he likes it so much, just the idea of slinging big hunks of lead I guess? He hunts with a 30-06 now so recoil shouldn't be a factor.

It would most likely be a bolt gun. I'm looking for people who've good experiences with any particular rifle, I haven't ruled out anything yet. I'll be all in including glass at about $1,500. If I go with one of the cheaper options I could get it dipped/cerakoted for a more custom touch. Glass will probably be the Leupold Freedom with the reticle already calibrated for the 450.

Thanks!
Josh

I live in Michigan and the 450 is very popular. I have helped several of my buddies set up and sight in the Ruger American in .450 and have always been amazed how accurate they were. Never known of anyone having issues. I would see no need to spend large dollars chasing more accuracy out of a round that has inherently low ballistic coefficient.

I just got a Howa for a 350 legend. It is an amazing little gun and incredibly accurate. You might want to check out the Howa 450 bushmaster.

I kept a Bushmaster in 450 in the float plane. Very handy and accurate cartridge.

The American was on the list, do y’all have pretty good luck with them?
We do. I have never received one back for manufacturer error/issues. I can say the same for the Bergara but 1) that is another 250 on the price and 2) good deal more difficult to get ahold of. The extra 250 is better served in the optic combo IMO, especially on what is a 200 yard and under hammer. As for Christensens....1) I think at 1299 for the Mesa that is overkill for a 450 and 2) I have gotten more of them back than I should have, given the price point especially.

I think the Ruger above is the sweet spot.

Go for the cascade. It’s a better rifle than the American and not much more.

I have the Ruger American Ranch 450 with the VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 Pig-Plex mounted in Talley Lightweight rings without the rail and it is a sweet little gun. It shoots the 275 gr Barnes at 2200 fps pretty dang accurate. It is noisy with the brake, but I didn't notice it when shooting in the field. I had to buy it and set it up myself, would have been real nice to have gotten it as a grad present:)

I did install the Timney trigger because I'm not a fan of the factory Ruger style trigger and slicked up the bolt with a little work with JB Bore Bright and then had the bolt fluted on a whim when I saw my gunsmith working on one.

The Bergara is also on the list.

I don’t think I can justify the Christensen for a 200 yard gun plus that’ll eat up the budget with no glass and rings!
Now wait a min. I don't know anything about the 350 cartridge but, you ust called it a 200 yd rifle and before that said you were going to get a leupold and have it set up by Leupold for 450 yds?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back