44hunter45's 2024 backcountry Idaho Moose semi-live hunt thread.

UPS Tracker says something exciting coming tomorrow. "Adult Signature Required".

This arrived today:
1718081711112.png

Gear list is almost done except the race to see if the 35 Whelen or the 358 Norma build finishes first.

UPDATE - Had the first real hurdle. I am sure there will be more. Talked to the riflesmith in Washington and my two Mausers with him are not as far along as he led me to believe. It is doubtful they will be ready before I need to start working up loads.

Hail Mary to @p_ham. Watch this space. A bucket list hunt deserves a bucket list rifle.

Well it's time to get this semi-live thread started.

Early May. Successfully drawn for 2024. I don't mind telling where my tag is, since if I'm successful it's one and done. Well, I don't -- but to protect the odds after I shoot a 55" bull, I've edited it out.
I've scrubbed the post to be Nottellum Creek.

Thank you Idaho HT brothers who provided encouragement to keep drawing when I was going to give it up. Realizing the tag and the unit is kind of an "Oh shit" comparable to walking up on that bull you just shot and realizing you now need to start breaking it down and packing it out.

Bi-polar as I am, this will be a physical and mental challenge. But I'm up for it. Many of you have offered tips, volunteered to sherpa and glass with me, and provide general cheer-leading. None of you have heard me snore in camp yet.

This is a tough unit, and I'm not 30 years old any more. My plan is to scout the hell out of this and have a good time whether I shoot a bull or not. The goal is anything with forked fronts, but I will tag anything legal toward the end.

I have been e-scouting every night and getting the trails burned in my brain. This is essentially a wilderness hunt in all but name. If I were crazy enough to pack in a chainsaw, I could. The legal roads run around the perimeter of the unit. but not through it. It is not too big in square miles. My on-the-ground scouting goal is to have hiked all the major trails in the unit before the opener. My old paper maps show a ton of lesser trails, too. A lifetime's worth to explore.

My first on the ground trip will be May 18-19. Driving in to base camp Friday afternoon after work and hike up as far a 2019 burn on Saturday. Overnight there and explore Sunday. I want to work the bunny trails before hitting the black diamonds. Hopefully I will toughen up as I go. I've found living on Heather's Choice and Gastro Gnome are about the most pleasant weight loss program a guy can have.

I have not been up this place past the campground. This will be new territory.
Good luck on your tag…shoot straight

How true was it? Hard to tell from the pics, but looks like the front face took a little true-up.

After looking at the #3 quarter rib, I see a CCM designed one-off banded front sight in my future.
Next year when I bring the Mausers in....

I gonna have trouble sleeping until the next installment.
Take your time Paul, Imma send him Ken Jr's 300RUM... ;)
I really want to do a 358 Norma vs 300 RUM recoil comparison. Need @mtmuley or @BackofBeyond to have a range meet-up some time. There are some common Hammer bullet weights available.

2300 here. And so, to bed....

Last edited:
How true was it? Hard to tell from the pics, but looks like the front face took a little true-up.

After looking at the #3 quarter rib, I see a CCM designed one-off banded front sight in my future.
Next year when I bring the Mausers in....

I gonna have trouble sleeping until the next installment.

I really want to do a 358 Norma vs 300 RUM recoil comparison. Need @mtmuley or @BackofBeyond to have a range meet-up some time. There are some common Hammer bullet weights available.
They're all blending together, but I think the face was .003, the lugs were .0015, the threads were .005 or so. The bolt took .0015 on the lugs and face.

I did an XP100 today that the face was .010 out, the lugs were .004, and the threads were .015 off center. POS.

The 358 Norma should be pretty close to 375 h&h recoil wise. The RUM is probably more sharp than the Norma.

Back