2024 Idaho Moose Thread

Personally chasing draw odds and planning on having it scouted if I ever do draw for a ground and pound on opening day

All right - A lot of you essentially said to stop whining and apply. Well, I'm a doer and not a whiner.

I'm in for moose in 2024. Higher odds, higher difficulty.
If I draw, I will be spending a ton of time on the zone scouting (and fishing).
Also going to have to get my 7mm M70 to @p_ham to be reborn as a 358 Norma. Because I want to. Don't wanna scratch my safe queen 35 Whelen.

Sherpa applications will be reviewed pending draw results.
Good luck! Hope you draw! Im planning on putting in next year!

Idaho

Drew moose in unit 12 in '88 and then again in '95. In '95 hunting partner drew too and killed a 45". Was trying to kill a big bull with my bow. Saw several 50"ers. Unit 12 moose numbers have crashed since.

Haven't put in for moose since. Have drawn sheep 3 times - '92, 2007, '17 - no kills. 2007 unit 42 saw 2 big rams and screwed up - haunts me still. In 2017 passed on several smaller rams - never saw a big one.

Have put in for goats from time to time with no draws.

Going to wait to put in for moose until I'm unable to hunt sheep or goats. Will be 66 this fall.

The big ?

Sheep or goats

Some Idaho moose info that some might use.

From '86 to '95 I hunted/guided and worked forest surveys/timber cruiser in units 10 and 12. Killed bull elk there every season.

Drew unit 12 moose in '88 and '95 and saw big bulls both hunts.

If anybody drew either a 12-3 or 12-5 would give specific spots to hunt.

When I get into my 70's and don't feel I can sheep or mountain goat hunt I will probably apply for one of the two.

12-3 you need horses to packing 12 miles or so. DYI or hire the outfitter that works the area. In '95, hired the outfitter to pack in our gear with a hunting partner. There for 15 days, partner shot a 45". Incredible wilderness hunt, saw a Lynx. Hunting with my bow until the last couple of days, saw several 45"+ bulls. Didn't harvest.

12-5 has much more access except the portion south of the Lochsa river, which I worked forest surveys in '92 and saw moose. Need horses off of Coolwater Ridge. Was within 100 yards twice of a 50"er with my bow. Didn't harvest. 1988.

From '86 to '95 I hunted/guided and worked forest surveys/timber cruiser in units 10 and 12. Killed bull elk there every season.

When I get into my 70's and don't feel I can sheep or mountain goat hunt I will probably apply for one of the two.

12-3 you need horses to packing 12 miles or so. DYI or hire the outfitter that works the area. In '95, hired the outfitter to pack in our gear with a hunting partner. There for 15 days, partner shot a 45". Incredible wilderness hunt, saw a Lynx. Hunting with my bow until the last couple of days, saw several 45"+ bulls. Didn't harvest.

12-5 has much more access except the portion south of the Lochsa river, which I worked forest surveys in '92 and saw moose. Need horses off of Coolwater Ridge. Was within 100 yards twice of a 50"er with my bow. Didn't harvest. 1988.

I ran into a nice bull in 12-3 in the early 90s. Unfortunately, I think numbers are way down on the Lochsa, Clearwater, and Selway compared to what they were in the 80s and 90s…

I’m considering applying for either moose or sheep and throwing my name in the hat but I’m also saving money for a hunt I have booked. Idaho isn’t a cheap raffle ticket 300 + dollars lost. Hopefully tomorrow I win the banquet sheep hunt for life members that will make it easy choice.

You Sir are a hardcore, dedicated bowhunter. (y)

A friend and I drew up that way in the late '90, I was using a recurve bow at the time. I took my 30-06 on our second trip. Bad fires that year...never saw a moose.

If I apply for a Big Three species am I also prevented from applying in the secondary elk, deer, antelope draw or just the primary?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back