.44 mag ammo for deer

I’ve got a Super Blackhawk that’s just been setting in the gun safe, thinking about getting it out for deer season. Just trying to get some input on ammo options. I’ll probably only be shooting out to 50 yards with it.

I have shot some game with a variety of 44s. On deer, I think you could load up with any 240 gr soft point or hollow point you can get your hands on and be fine.
I have shot some game with a variety of 44s. On deer, I think you could load up with any 240 gr soft point or hollow point you can get your hands on and be fine.
Thanks, I believe I have a couple boxes of 240 Hornady, I’ll have to look when I get home.

Most any 240gr hollow or soft point. Fiocchi 240gr XTP loads are a good value.

Avoid hard cast for deer unless using light loads.

Deer are pretty easy to kill. I’d opt for a hollow point every time. Even when I hunt elk with a 44 all I use is a 240 hollow point. I don’t run factory ammo often….240 Sierra is my top choice. I did kill a cow with BArnes factory ammo last year.

Virtually any quality bullet from 240-300 grains you can get your hands on right now. I've used Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, and Swift. You can spent way more than you need for deer inside of 50 yards. It does not take too much to kill one.

Ruger revolvers have long cylinders and handle heavy bullets well. If your bullet comes with two cannelures, load the longest that fits. You will need to work up loads for the longer C.O.A.L.

I've killed several with 240 and 300 grain XTPs. The 300s were my favorite for many years. This buck from the 1990's fell to 300 grain XTPs.The first one took out both lungs and exited. He went about 50 yards and he left a double blood trail in the snow from entrance and exit, with chunks of lung and froth.
He was down, but still alive and I put a finisher in him. I found the jackets from both bullets in the chest cavity.

06_4A.JPG
(Boy was I young then!)
Then I got into casting boolits.

Today I use a cast Keith HP. An MP-Mold (MP 432-256 PB HP) copy of the Ideal 429421HP mold. I do not water drop. They drop at 245 grains and I lube with pure deer tallow. I load them over a hot charge of H110/W296. CCI Large Mag Pistol primer.

For my 45 Colt, I load the same MP mold in .454". Using the "penta" HP pin, they drop at 285 grains with WW alloy.

I've used Beartooth bullets and I have their book on fire-lapping. Their bullets are softer than hard cast and I like them.

I've lost one deer in the last 10 years and it was with Buffalo Bore WFNGC bullets out of a 45 Colt Blackhawk. 12 yards from a 17' tree stand.
She bolted after the shot. I came down and found one tuft of hair. Calm deer and a 12 shot from a rest. I knew it wasn't a miss. I spent the rest of the day looking for it.

I found the deer the next dry and tagged it. The bullet had penciled though and left no blood. The ground was frozen and she left no tracks.
In my opinion these loads are made to go nose to tail through a bear and don't do much if they don't hit bones. I should have used a neck shot.

This story to back up what @howl said earlier. Driving hard cast as fast as you can make it go is not the answer.

Anyway -

That's my two bits.

Good luck. Handgunning for deer is a blast.

My brother has a Rossi 44 magnum and I have a Ruger 77/44. Both have killed deer say 50-75 yards with Hornady XTP 300 with complete pass thru. They both dropped immediately when shot. That load prints near 1.25 MOA at 100 yards in my Ruger 77/44. Cannot find if for sale anymore except occasionally on gunbroker with inflated price. At the range you are shooting, think any 44 mag load would do.

Virtually any quality bullet from 240-300 grains you can get your hands on right now. I've used Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, and Swift. You can spent way more than you need for deer inside of 50 yards. It does not take too much to kill one.

Ruger revolvers have long cylinders and handle heavy bullets well. If your bullet comes with two cannelures, load the longest that fits. You will need to work up loads for the longer C.O.A.L.

I've killed several with 240 and 300 grain XTPs. The 300s were my favorite for many years. This buck from the 1990's fell to 300 grain XTPs.The first one took out both lungs and exited. He went about 50 yards and he left a double blood trail in the snow from entrance and exit, with chunks of lung and froth.
He was down, but still alive and I put a finisher in him. I found the jackets from both bullets in the chest cavity.

View attachment 198030
(Boy was I young then!)
Then I got into casting boolits.

Today I use a cast Keith HP. An MP-Mold (MP 432-256 PB HP) copy of the Ideal 429421HP mold. I do not water drop. They drop at 245 grains and I lube with pure deer tallow. I load them over a hot charge of H110/W296. CCI Large Mag Pistol primer.

For my 45 Colt, I load the same MP mold in .454". Using the "penta" HP pin, they drop at 285 grains with WW alloy.

I've used Beartooth bullets and I have their book on fire-lapping. Their bullets are softer than hard cast and I like them.

I've lost one deer in the last 10 years and it was with Buffalo Bore WFNGC bullets out of a 45 Colt Blackhawk. 12 yards from a 17' tree stand.
She bolted after the shot. I came down and found one tuft of hair. Calm deer and a 12 shot from a rest. I knew it wasn't a miss. I spent the rest of the day looking for it.

I found the deer the next dry and tagged it. The bullet had penciled though and left no blood. The ground was frozen and she left no tracks.
In my opinion these loads are made to go nose to tail through a bear and don't do much if they don't hit bones. I should have used a neck shot.

This story to back up what @howl said earlier. Driving hard cast as fast as you can make it go is not the answer.

Anyway -

That's my two bits.

Good luck. Handgunning for deer is a blast.
What powder are you using with your 300gn XTP?

What powder are you using with your 300gn XTP?
H110/W296 - That is my go-to 44 Mag and heavy (Ruger) 45 Colt powder. CCI LP Mag primers.

LILGUN, Enforcer, Accurate #9, 300-MP, 2400 are all doable. A lot of the classic cast bullet loads are built on 2400.

Stick with the Hornady Manual recipes. Their #10 manual puts all these powders in play for the 300 grain XTP.

I have a decent supply of H110/W296, as well as LILGUN and 2400 in my powder cabinet. I did see both LILGUN and H110 on the shelf today at my local store.

Last edited:
My brother has a Rossi 44 magnum and I have a Ruger 77/44. Both have killed deer say 50-75 yards with Hornady XTP 300 with complete pass thru. They both dropped immediately when shot. That load prints near 1.25 MOA at 100 yards in my Ruger 77/44. Cannot find if for sale anymore except occasionally on gunbroker with inflated price. At the range you are shooting, think any 44 mag load would do.
I like those 77/44s. I've been thinking of one for a "small framed" member of the family. They are still listed in the Ruger catalog. Try Gallery of Guns. They and Ruger are both in Prescott, AZ. Maybe that helps?

H110/W296 - That is my go-to 44 Mag and heavy (Ruger) 45 Colt powder. CCI LP Mag primers.

LILGUN, Enforcer, Accurate #9, 300-MP, 2400 are all doable. A lot of the classic cast bullet loads are built on 2400.

Stick with the Hornady Manual recipes. Their #10 manual puts all these powders in play for the 300 grain XTP.

I have a decent supply of H110/W296, as well as LILGUN and 2400 in my powder cabinet. I did see both LILGUN and H110 on the shelf today at my local store.
Thank you. Hard to beat H110.

I am actually headed to the range in a bit to test some Montana Bullets in my 1894 Marlin Saddlering for here in Indiana. Unique is what I have so that is what I am using. 260gr WFNGC. Ranges won't be past 50 yards so I am not running them to hard.

Hornady XTP. I've used these In a sabot out of a muzzleloader with great results on deer. For your situation I would bet a 240 grain XTP would be perfect. But any XTP between 180 and 300 grains will have no problem killing a deer. Pick the one that shoots most accurate.

Just got back.. Very happy. 13gr of Unique ( Marlin 1894 saddle ring carbine) with a Montana bullet 260.

Rifle is equipped with stock iron sights. Groups shot at 100 yards.

She really likes 13. Last 4 shots. I only loaded 6 total. First two to get on the paper using a monster piece of cardboard to walk the sights in. Bottom group then top group after moving the elevation ramp one click up and slightly drifting the sight. I am very happy.

44mag.jpg

Hornady XTP. I've used these In a sabot out of a muzzleloader with great results on deer. For your situation I would bet a 240 grain XTP would be perfect. But any XTP between 180 and 300 grains will have no problem killing a deer. Pick the one that shoots most accurate.
Midway USA had some yesterday and are sold out today. Just my luck.

Update on my handgun expedition, looked around trying to find ammo and ended up settling for hornady leverevolution FTX 225gr, took it out and shot some before my hunt. Well it did the job on a basket rack whitetail buck at 43 yards and a whitetail doe at 11 yards. Absolutely leveled both.

Attachments

• 6B5A5C4D-C40A-4C50-9C65-E5CB81D6A7D2.jpeg
    6B5A5C4D-C40A-4C50-9C65-E5CB81D6A7D2.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back