Caribou Gear Tarp

40 Below Zero And No Power

No power here today either. -6 was the coldest I seen on thermometer. Generator was running so it felt like every other day. Neighbors were stopping in to spend some time. It was nice having company.

Our power went off about 2 hours ago. Within 30 seconds, our generator started up and we are percolating like nothing is wrong.

The whole neighborhood is dark except for our house, and we get calls wondering if our power went out too.

All the Christmas lights are on and our is the only lit up house we can see. Thank goodness for emergency preparedness and a Generac generator…

View attachment 257244
I was just talking to my wife yesterday about how we need to get one. It will have to be on the list for next year.

I was just talking to my wife yesterday about how we need to get one. It will have to be on the list for next year.
When you do, get a good generator that will run the entire house. Get it wired professionally and you won't regret it. There are lots of people think a 3000-5000 watt generator will work, but they are not nearly enough and when it is done right there is no down time or worry about the continuous feed of electricity...

thumbnail_IMG_9355.jpgthumbnail_IMG_9356.jpg

When you do, get a good generator that will run the entire house. Get it wired professionally and you won't regret it. There are lots of people think a 3000-5000 watt generator will work, but they are not nearly enough and when it is done right there is no down time or worry about the continuous feed of electricity...

View attachment 257488View attachment 257489
Is there any way to add solar panels and battery storage to this system?

I wonder how long one of those solar and lithium battery systems would hold up in -40 at night? Or even 32?
My cousin put one in and he is ticking right along at -24 with the wind chill factor here in VA. I'm over here worrying about next month's power bill while he is laughing at me.

My cousin put one in and he is ticking right along at -24 with the wind chill factor here in VA. I'm over here worrying about next month's power bill while he is laughing at me.
Oh, he’s paying for it too.

All up front.

I’ve been contemplating a solar/battery system for our place and initial cost will be over $20,000. Possibly even $30,000.

View attachment 257488View attachment 257489
Is yours a tri fuel?

My understanding for “whole house generators”, there are two types..

High and low speed generators. Run at 1800 rpm or run at 3000 rpm.

You really want the 1800 rpm engines.

Any truth to that.

Thats crazy.
Trying to get out of Chicago this morning.
3 degrees still felt pretty mild.
Good luck! A gal from here was returning from a visit to parents in Wisconsin and got stuck in Chicago, so caught a flight to Salt Lake City, rented a car and completed a harrowing drive SLC to Bozeman on icy snowpack and black ice at Island Park. It took her almost two hours to drive from Ashton to West Yellowstone.

Back