3rd Choice Antelope

NEWHunter

Took my Dad out for antelope for the second year in a row. The hunting season extension permit for my Dad was a huge help. My brother came up from Denver and the two of them were able to put it all together on this guy. We applied the art of the Wisconsin deer drive to antelope hunting to make it happen for my Dad as walking is out of the question.
E5B5A819-D329-4F48-87D3-CD38414B9822.jpeg

We spent the next couple of days scouting for my 10/1 opener. There was a square mile on the far end of the unit that seemed to consistently hold a pair of bucks. We put them to bed the night before the opener and just after dark I stopped up their primary exit from the pasture. I think this little trick was a key part of the events the next day.

Spent the first hour of opening day trying to get a shot at the bigger of the two bucks with no luck. Based on a previous attempt we made with my Dad on these bucks, I think they would have left the pasture if not for blocking their exit. Relatively flat terrain and 3 inch high grass does not make for good stalking. I regrouped and posted up at the windmill to start glassing again and figure out my next move. After about 5-10 minutes of this I happened to look to my right and on my 4 o’clock an antelope buck was walking by about 20 yards away.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I dropped the binos, grabbed the gun, cranked the scope down, and shouldered the rifle. At this point I fully expected the buck to be headed for the next county. Thankfully the fencing and weeds around the windmill, along with all the noise it was making seemed to provide enough cover. The buck kept walking and I decided I didn’t need to spend the whole day chasing the bigger one around the pasture. Once he cleared the fence, I took one shot at 20 yards and he walked another 20 yards and tipped over. He either didn’t know I was there (thanks windmill) or didn’t care.

ACD660A5-07E5-4D63-855C-46C281DAC32B.jpeg
Took advantage of my Dad’s scooter crane.

43B96B2C-D88D-4FB2-AACC-A860C07934EC.jpeg

This guy was about to follow his nose right under the truck as I was cutting up my buck.
6E04EFC7-6792-44A6-9327-BB445A867F29.jpeg

Hauling out my buck.
8ACD131C-AC37-4272-8A3C-3D8C3A60719A.jpeg

It certainly was a challenging hunt as far as WY pronghorn hunts go, and I’m not sure I’ll do another 3rd choice hunt in the near future - but it was doable.

I also had the good fortune of having the adjacent landowner stop to chat as we were loading up my buck. Found out they own a few thousand acres, some of which are irrigated alfalfa. They take one or two trespass fee hunters a year for a price we can afford . . .

Last edited:
Congrats! See if you can get a Scooter crane sponsorship
I should, last year at the gas station in Casper I had a rancher come up and ask about the specs for the crane. He was looking for one to load a generator on/off his ranch truck.

It’s rated to 350 pounds so I wasn’t too concerned about hoisting a lope. Had to be a more careful when pulling on the hide.

Took my Dad out for antelope for the second year in a row. The hunting season extension permit for my Dad was a huge help. My brother came up from Denver and the two of them were able to put it all together on this guy. We applied the art of the Wisconsin deer drive to antelope hunting to make it happen for my Dad as walking is out of the question.
View attachment 156477

We spent the next couple of days scouting for my 10/1 opener. There was a square mile on the far end of the unit that seemed to consistently hold a pair of bucks. We put them to bed the night before the opener and just after dark I stopped up their primary exit from the pasture. I think this little trick was a key part of the events the next day.

Spent the first hour of opening day trying to get a shot at the bigger of the two bucks with no luck. Based on a previous attempt we made with my Dad on these bucks, I think they would have left the pasture if not for blocking their exit. Relatively flat terrain and 3 inch high grass does not make for good stalking. I regrouped and posted up at the windmill to start glassing again and figure out my next move. After about 5-10 minutes of this I happened to look to my right and on my 4 o’clock an antelope buck was walking by about 20 yards away.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I dropped the binos, grabbed the gun, cranked the scope down, and shouldered the rifle. At this point I fully expected the buck to be headed for the next county. Thankfully the fencing and weeds around the windmill, along with all the noise it was making seemed to provide enough cover. The buck kept walking and I decided I didn’t need to spend the whole day chasing the bigger one around the pasture. Once he cleared the fence, I took one shot at 20 yards and he walked another 20 yards and tipped over. He either didn’t know I was there (thanks windmill) or didn’t care.

View attachment 156479
Took advantage of my Dad’s scooter crane.

View attachment 156480

This guy was about to follow his nose right under the truck as I was cutting up my buck.
View attachment 156482

Hauling out my buck.
View attachment 156484

It certainly was a challenging hunt as far as WY pronghorn hunts go, and I’m not sure I’ll do another 3rd choice hunt in the near future - but it was doable.

I also had the good fortune of having the adjacent landowner stop to chat as we were loading up my buck. Found out they own a few thousand acres, some of which are irrigated alfalfa. They take one or two trespass fee hunters a year for a price we can afford . . .
There ya go if you come back and hunt ethically you could have a honey hole to hunt at the rest of your life! I always bring my land owners a 100# sack of spuds from the valley we live in . They never turn spuds down. Close gates and be mindful of livestock.Ranchers appreciate updates if you see something AMISS!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back