Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

35 caliber?

feathercast

My uncle has a 35 caliber, lever action he might give to me. I have never even heard of a 35 cal. Anybody have any experience with one?

First welcome to the site. I have a Marlin 336 in 35rem. It is a lot of fun to shoot. I have not hunted with it yet but I would like too, it would make a great deer/bear gun for the brush..

I've been debating about a new elk gun and was thinking 35 Whelen. CVA has a single shoot rifle in that caliber. I'm a fan of big bullets make big holes.

Any comments on performance of the 35 Whelen would be appreciated.

I've been debating about a new elk gun and was thinking 35 Whelen. CVA has a single shoot rifle in that caliber. I'm a fan of big bullets make big holes.

Any comments on performance of the 35 Whelen would be appreciated.

Nosler No. 6 reloading manual lists the top velocity for a 225gr bullet at 2775-2800fps. That's about what an '06 does with 180s. I think thats about all that needs sayin'...

I'm thinking this thing will kick like a mule then!! Thanks for the welcome. Seems alot of helpful people here, & a few good stories! I'm in IN, so I don't have much to offer.

The OP is asking about a 35 cal. The 35 whelen is not the same.
The 35 cal was my first rifle at the age of ten. As mentioned it does make a great deer/bear gun. It is great for hunting the thick cover. (meaning it will take a little more to deflect the bullet). It does not "kick like a mule" as like the 35 whelen probably would.
It's been a long time since I've baught amo, back then the only thing you could find local was 200 grn. You can do a search for a ballistics chart and compare.
For hunting in more open country with longer shots I would choose a different caliber with more range.

I had a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. Loaned it to my brother, and never got it back ! Great little rifle. A definite whitetail/bear/pig thumper. I popped a few whitetails with it and it put a quick hurtin' em. Can't tell you how many Fla piggies Bro has grilled, but it seems endless.

I've been trying to find a Rem 600, in 35 Rem, for years, but the guys who have one seem to want $$$$$$$$$ to part with it.

My uncle has a 35 caliber, lever action he might give to me. I have never even heard of a 35 cal. Anybody have any experience with one?

I have one and have hunted in michigan with it for ,,,, 35 years,,, marlin 336 lever, my dad got it for me when I was 15,,,, good brush gun, deadly on deer at 100 yards, its a little heavier than a 30-30 and I used it on a bear last year,,, it went a total of 15 feet. video is 10 minutes long, jump out to 9 minutes, caution; death moans :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsfq...xt=C3cef9eaUDOEgsToPDskIYBqXnMTVVGNjdg1ENeOUC

I have reloaded it with .357 110gn, 125 grn and 157 grn pistol bullets, lowers recoil and damaging to varmits, ammo is getting pricey but its a good calibre with aot of knockdown power.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gagrimes1
Back