PEAX Equipment

338 WBY RPM- newest cartridge

What does the RPM stand for? Seems to me if they're duplicating the .338 Win performance just to make something proprietary (and Weatherby expensive), it's going to be a tough sell ... except to the "something new whiz bang" crowd. Seems that market is already saturated. Weatherby should be cautious where they go with their marketing strategy. Been a lot of mega failures the last couple years caused by big name manufacturers that flopped because they spread themselves to thin trying to grab every market niche at once.
Doesnt do anything for me, But as you know marketing sells!
Look at how much marketing was put into the 6.5 creed when it came out.
I think at this point all the factory manufactures as well as the custom builders are chambering for it.

Long as hunter's keep getting overly impressed with new cartridges new useless cartridges will keep coming along!

I won’t lie, when I saw this announcement on FB I got excited. I’m still relatively new to my .338-06 but after a limited two years of field experience, I’m a big fan. I see this cartridge as a respectful nod to the .338-06, at the same time trying to achieve maximum case size and performance for their lightweight 6-lug action. Weatherby is saying this cartridge will have 15% higher performance than the .338-06. After more thought, I think I’d jump on this cartridge if I didn’t have the .338-06 already. Buy the rifle, pony up for 200-300 pieces of brass and hunt the rifle forever. I’ll be curious to see where this cartridge is in a few years, but I like the direction of this.

If I'm going .338, it's big case and max velocity for long range steel. l think the Weatherby is a boutique cartridge. mtmuley

It’s honestly is one of the few cartridges that has interested me in the last 10-15 years. Ammo cost will likely keep most away… and if Hornady decides to make a “sensible” 338 PRC next it’ll all but commercially relegated this to nothing but a niche offering. What’s not to like about a standard length 338 though that’s designed for hunts inside of 600 yds? Seems like a logical and not overbore decision over most 30 cal magnums. Frontal diameter is still a thing so it makes sense to jump to something in the 33-37 caliber range if you have something in the 26-30 cal range.

If it’s just a necked up version of the 6.5 rpm case it is a neat design but I just don’t have any desire for this kind of 338. There’s nothing I’ll hunt that a 200-230gr 30 cal bullet won’t easily cover. If I’m going .338 it’s for improved ballistics with heavy bullets and this smaller case isn’t going to push those heavies fast enough to be interesting.

i built a 338-06. on a colt light rifle, 6.5lbs all up with a 6x leupold, shot 200gr ballistic tips .5 moa at 2930fps,,,, wish i had that rifle back

killed couple elk and 2 bears with it,,,

Did that rifle happen to have like a barrel band half way down the barrel?

So Weatherby announced it's newest cartridge to bear the family name, the 338 WBY RPM. Not much out there, but what I could find, is that it's made to work in their Mark V Backcountry 2.0 line, and duplicate the 338WM in performance. Shooting a 225gr. bullet at @ 2800fps. Thoughts?
Just what is needed, another POS magnum cartridge!

I am kicking myself for not putting in at least one bid on one that went for $1750 on GB recently. The 18” barrel was the main thing holding me back at the time. After thinking about it more, I realize that that would be nice for about 98% of my hunting. I would, however, like the rifle to be a little heavier, about 6.25 to 6.5 pounds bare, so I didn’t have to use the brake.

I owned that rifle at one time. Loved h4350 and 225 grain accubonds at 2650fps too. I also wish I had that one back. I’ve seen it hit the classifieds various places 5 or so times over the years and always at the wrong time for me. Bet that rifle could tell some stories

Last edited:
So Weatherby announced it's newest cartridge to bear the family name, the 338 WBY RPM. Not much out there, but what I could find, is that it's made to work in their Mark V Backcountry 2.0 line, and duplicate the 338WM in performance. Shooting a 225gr. bullet at @ 2800fps. Thoughts?
what-is-9k594m.jpg

Why not just use a 340 wby mag or a 338 lapua ? Tell me the actions too long and you would have to cut too much barrel off so you could use a "long" suppressor? Hey, its America, do whatever tickles your fancy.

Back