Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

314 Montana goat tag drawn

That'll be fun.

Been on several goat hunts in that district.

As a few have mentioned, lots of goats and lots of different areas to hunt.

Good luck to your Dad!

That'll be fun.

Been on several goat hunts in that district.

As a few have mentioned, lots of goats and lots of different areas to hunt.

Good luck to your Dad!
Thanks, it should be a lot of fun. Right now im getting the old man out hiking as much as I can so he's ready to go come the season. Lots of people have been saying dont go earlier than oct 1, does that sound about right to you?

Go whenever you have time to go. Hair is better later in the year but anytime after Sept 15 a mature billy is going to have plenty of hair. Last year Oct. 1 had an early snowstorm that dumped several inches of snow in the high country. Unless he is in great shape and adamant about long hair on the goat, I don’t think I would risk waiting too long and getting shut out by weather.

Thanks, it should be a lot of fun. Right now im getting the old man out hiking as much as I can so he's ready to go come the season. Lots of people have been saying dont go earlier than oct 1, does that sound about right to you?
Having been heavily scouting my goat district for the last month, I'm getting more inline with Gerald's advice about hunting early. The terrain I've been on hasn't necessitated climbing gear but I have thought about getting a helmet. I can see the likelihood of a fall would go up exponentially with any amount of snow. I've already resolved that if I see a Billy on or near the 15th and he's giving me a good shot with a high probability of a good retrieval, then I'm taking the shot.

I would be in there any time after mid-September.

If you get a big storm in late September/early October the difficulty level rises exponentially in my humble opinion.

If I had the tag I would definitely want to shoot it before the general rifle season starts and the activity picks up tenfold.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll see if I cant work on him to go for a week around mid sept, then we can plan on another week around Oct 1 if the first hunt isn't successful. Luckily one of our friends has been involved in 8 goats hunts in that unit and knows it well. After talking to him sounds like they have had success anywhere from early sept all the way through the season but as you were saying after the snow comes it gets much much tougher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back