Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

.308 bear cartridges?

idi1796

I will be applying for and hopefully drawing an eastern Oregon spring bear tag this fall and it will be the first true bear hunt my father and I have ever been on. I shoot a Winchester featherweight model 70 chambered in .308 and was wondering what some great bear loads will be? I have only ever shot 180 grain Remington core lokt out of it (for white tails when I lived in Michigan) but am not sure that load is the best option for a shot out to 200yds? I know it would definitely do the trick but I'm worried about accuracy at a slightly longer range. Maybe it is maybe it isn't I don't know. Never had to worry about shots over 100 yards in the north woods of Michigan. Just looking for ideas and suggestions and maybe even some spring bear tips.

Thank you so much!

If the Core lokt is accurate out of your gun, I'd stay with that. Practice from field positions at the longest distance you're comfortable with and that 180 will put any black bear down if you do your part.

I like 165 gr. corelokts in my '06. 180's will work just fine if you have a rangefinder and know the drop past 200 yards.

Easy answer. Don't shoot past 100yds. You seem to be comfortable at that range with your present load.

Sight in 2 inches high at 100 and should be dead on at 200 and aboit 8 inches low at 300.

Bears are not that hard to kill, but their kill zone is differnt than a deer. It's smaller and farther forward.

I'm partial to 165gr bullets, bit wouldn't have a problem with bigger. The coreloks should be just fine for black bears. Their pretty light skinned and don't have all that big of bones. A bullet that would likely exit would be a good choice though, the hair will soak up blood and entrance wounds don't tent to bleed much.

The last bear I shot was a small brown bear with my 308 win and 165 accubonds.

I use the 165 gr Nosler Accubond also. I took two elk this fall with that load, both over 200 yds in my .308 without any drama. Great bullets and my gun shoots the heck out of them.

150 Barnes TTSX ( All copper monolith) all day. used them on 3 bears. Farthest one was 347yds

If the Core lokt is accurate out of your gun, I'd stay with that. Practice from field positions at the longest distance you're comfortable with and that 180 will put any black bear down if you do your part.

I'd agree with this advice.

I assume you are talking about the round nose loads? They should still shoot flat enough at 200 for you to make a good hit.

FWIW, back in the 1970's my grandfather stopped a griz charge with that very load in his Savage 99 .308.

Yeah....stick with what ya know. Go get a couple /three/fourteen boxes and practice at different ranges (some unknown, if you can). I personally like a larger bore, but the 308 Win will surely do it's job, if you do !

Back