Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

.308 - 150 grain Nosler Accubonds

Brian in Montana

Which powder would you start with, Varget or H4895?

I ask about those simply because they are already sitting on my shelf. I've done pretty good with both using a 165grn AB.

Varget and IMR 4064 have worked well in my 308 with the 150 gr. bullets.

Varget isn’t temperature sensitive, burns clean and meters well. Start with 44 grains and work your way up. You won’t be disappointed.

I have had the best consistency running Varget, the last batch I chrono'd a few weeks ago was +/- 12fps, with the average being 2740 through 20 rounds all shooting sub MOA.

Both are “Extreme” extruded powders with minimal temp sensitivity. Varget has a reputation of being a little more consistent/precise. Very similar powder usage and very similar velocity. This is a coin toss. I typically would start with Varget unless I thought I might want to do reduce loads for a new shooter in which case I would start with H4895. But for 150 gn .308 Win I view them as nearly interchangeable.

Both are “Extreme” extruded powders with minimal temp sensitivity. Varget has a reputation of being a little more consistent/precise. Very similar powder usage and very similar velocity. This is a coin toss. I typically would start with Varget unless I thought I might want to do reduce loads for a new shooter in which case I would start with H4895. But for 150 gn .308 Win I view them as nearly interchangeable.

With the 165grn ABs I was able to get a little more accuracy with H4895, but had a Varget load that was about 1MOA, or slightly over, that was faster. I'd have to look at my notes to divulge many details, but the load I hunted with this year was H4895. It was shooting about 2625 fps and was sub MOA. The Varget load was good, certainly used factory ammo that was worse, but it was zipping about 2700.

I haven't loaded 150grn anything for that .308 yet, so I figured I'd ask what you guys thought.

I run Reloader 15 with 150 Accubond and Ballistic Tips.
Try 45gr. of R-15 with those bullets and I believe you will be happy.

Both of those are good, but my go-to is 1/2 grain under max, with CFE223, under a 150 Interlock at 2934 fps. The ab should be real close to the same.

If you have 165's dialed in already, I see NO good justification to switch to a 150. Many moons ago I started with 150's and had a modicum level of success with them. Granted every deer I plugged died very handily, but all seemed to take a few seconds to do it. Hunting in Eastern NC (swamp/wet land area) meant that could have been a lost deer. When I went heavier all that nonsense stopped.

Have you tried playing with seating depth on your two loads? Different primers? Different cases?

A So-So load can turn into a Screamin' Mean Machine with just a minor change.

If you have 165's dialed in already, I see NO good justification to switch to a 150. Many moons ago I started with 150's and had a modicum level of success with them.

Not necessarily a switch, just trying something different. Lighter, faster, flatter shooting. Hunting season ended a couple weeks ago, so now I'm just moving into the time when I experiment with stuff. That's all. I might never shoot it at an animal, but if I find something kick butt, I might.

I also grabbed a box of Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip today, 165 grains. Maybe that will group a little better at higher velocities, who knows. If so, I might be packing it next fall.

Back