Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

300 WSM Load Development

G. McAlister

I have been loading for several years now and want to try and branch out to develop a load that isn’t by the book, at least not that I can find. I want to make a 165/168 grain load using either Nosler E-Tips or Barnes TTSX using Hybrid 100V powder.

Can anyone give advice, warnings, insight on how to go about doing this? With powder and components being so rare in my area, I am trying to use what I have, which is 8 lbs of Hybrid 100V, which I use in my 180 gr. Bullet load for the same rifle.

I am doing the exact same thing with my 300wsm 168ttsx an H4350.
I previously tried some H4831sc that I have. I wasn't able to reach velocity before I ran out of case capacity. The only other powder I could get that should work is H4350 so I am giving it a whirl. I am currently at 66gr H4350 168ttsx, wlrm primers, 3050fps and 2.995 c.o.a.l
Out of a 22" proof carbon barrel.
This seems about right but there might be more with a different powder.
So far in my short time loading for the wsm it looks like a faster powder to help with case capacity is helpful.
I am very curious what you come up with the hybrid 100v

As always work up to this load info.

Given the much higher weight retention of terminal mono bullets, I like 150 grain TTSX for 300WSM. My handload is 150gr TTSX at 3175pfs out of a 24" barrel using 58.0gr H4895, CCI magnum primers and Nosler brass (work up from lower load of course). My velocity SDs are 11 and my typical 5 shot group size is 0.90 MOA. I haven't taken the time to dial in bullet seating (currently at the Barnes recommended starting point of 0.050" off the lands), and since this is plenty good for my hunting needs I probably won't bother.

I would load close to mag length on those and then load 1 at min charge and 1 ea moving up half grain increments to max charge. This will save you some supplies and hopefully to allow you to find an accuracy node quicker. Seems like a sweet spot for my 300 wsm is around a half to a grain below book max.

I sold my Remington 700 300WSM recently as it had become a safe queen. It was used in Africa three trips, a trip to NZ and lots of big game here in the U.S. BTW, I may regret having done so.
Anyway, I loaded 180 grain Nosler Accubonds with 66.0 grains of IMR4831 for a very accurate load out to 600 yds. I load for accuracy ONLY. Forget the FPS addiction until you find the sweet spot accuracy load. If the load is not accurate what good is a faster load? Start at least 10% lower than max and do a ladder load development. MTG

I sold my Remington 700 300WSM recently as it had become a safe queen. It was used in Africa three trips, a trip to NZ and lots of big game here in the U.S. BTW, I may regret having done so.
Anyway, I loaded 180 grain Nosler Accubonds with 66.0 grains of IMR4831 for a very accurate load out to 600 yds. I load for accuracy ONLY. Forget the FPS addiction until you find the sweet spot accuracy load. If the load is not accurate what good is a faster load? Start at least 10% lower than max and do a ladder load development. MTG
Accuracy is my main goal, I’ve always been a load by the book reloader and with no recipes for the bullet/powder combo I want to try, just looking for safe advice how to start, and how far to go up with an unpublished recipe.

I've been loading with 180gr Speer Hot-Cor with WIN 760 easy to find locally. Hopefully will get to shoot my ladder this weekend and see what kind of velocity I am getting

I had a chance to shoot a few times.
The 168 ttsx is proving hard to dial in with 1.4" groups so far.

It looks like the wsm is liking where I started with 178 Absolute Hammers. The horizontal string might be me leaning to shoot an ultralight gun. I'm thinking trigger squeeze. Tips welcome.

20210721_094059.jpg

Dialing in the correct jump to lands is critical with the Barnes TSX of any variety. Get that dialed in with a less than max load and then work up from there. Sorry, have no experience with 100V.

Steve

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back