300 wsm and Nosler

sbhooper

I am getting ready to build some loads for a 300 wsm using Nosler 200-grain Partitions. Does anybody have any experience loading these for the 300?

I don't but am curious. I like the 180 grain Accubonds in mine. My one concern with looking at a 200 gr bullet in the short mag is whether you have enough room and run into any seating problems with the bigger bullets or feeding issues.

If you find a load that shoots well you'll have a great all around death hammer.

The ballistics appear to be real good and from what I have found out so far, there is not a problem with the seating. There is a lot of info on the 180, but not on the 200. It is very accurate from what I have found so far.

Personal experience, powder etc. Nosler lists IMR 7828 as the most accurate tested, but generally, it seems like the 4350s and 4831s are what most people like along with some re17, 19,22. In other words, it looks like a lot of stuff will work fine, but I like to narrow it down a bit with real experience.

Thanks. With the number of powders that apparently work well, it speak well for the caliber. I have also seen RL17 mentioned as a great powder. It might take some experimentation, but It looks like there are plenty of good options.

Your rifle will tell you what works. Been said a thousand times, but they are al different. mtmuley

I just loaded up a bunch of 168 nosler btips and RL17 for testing this weekend. Last weekends testing was Hybrid 100v with great results slightly under max and right at 3100. RL17 seems to be a common theme when it comes to the 300wsm and was tops on my list to try, I'll know for sure in two days. I've worked up to max in my rifle, now I'm testing seating from the lands back for accuracy. I did notice Alliant stops at 180gr for their data. I called Nosler and they haven't tested any RL17 yet.

With your 200's though RL22, 4831 or a similar slower powder should be the ticket. Keep us posted.

I think that I am going to try what Nosler showed and start with the 7828. It makes sense to me to use the slow powder on a big bullet in a long barrel. We'll see what happens.

Berger 185g VLD
SuperFormance 69.5g
Winchester Brass 2.090
Primer WLRM
OAL 2.870

Haven't chrono'd yet...24 5/8" barrel

7828 should be great. We load it in my dads 7 mag and its one powder we can find on the shelves.

NHY- did you get some data from Berger? Smoking velocity for what's listed on Hogdon. I asked why they don't show it in more loads, he said per their agreement with Hornady if it doesn't show a 75fps gain over all others they can't publish it. It's the Ricky Bobby of powders... If you ain't first, your last.

I just loaded up a bunch of 168 nosler btips and RL17 for testing this weekend. Last weekends testing was Hybrid 100v with great results

I haven't loaded for the 300 WSM, but I had some interesting results with these two powders in a .257 Roberts that I thought I'd share.

I was loading a 110 Hornady Interbond in WW +P cases, and here's what happened.

Re17:100V.jpg

The page of four targets on the right was shot with Re-17-- 41.0, 42.0, and 43.0 grains. The page of targets on the right was with H100V in the same increments.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but the calipers are set at .75 inches. 42.0 was the sweet spot for both powders, (the calipers are on the target shot with 42.0 of Re-17, top right target was 42.0 gr. of H100V) Accuracy, velocity, and POI are nearly identical. Three shot velocity average was 2908 with Re-17, and 2925 with H100V.

Point is-- if any of you all are interested in trying Re-17, but can't find it, H100V might be worth a try. Their burn rates are similar, with H100V being a bit slower.

Obviously your results may vary, and I am not in any way implying that data between these two powders are interchangable.

Let me say that again. Do not simply interchange data between these two powders. But...

If you're having problems finding Re-17, H100V might be worth a look...

Last edited:
If you're having problems finding Re-17, H100V might be worth a look...

That is exactly how I ended up with H100V. Two weeks after I picked it up a local shop got in a bunch of Alliant powder. Nice results you posted.

Two things I've noticed so far.

1. In the 300wsm max loads from both manufactures are 68gr for 165's at 3174 (100v Nos Part) and 3217 (RL17 Speer) so they are nearly identical in the wsm as well.
2. RL17 seems slightly denser as 67 of 100V was compressed about the same as 68 of RL17 in new brass. I'll post up some results after the weekends testing.

Interesting stuff. One thing that I noticed in the Nosler data for the 200 Partition was that the COAL was at 2.815 which seemed a little short to me. The 200 Accu was 2.830 and the Custom Comp 190 was longer yet at 2.840. I am going to call Nosler and ask them about this, but I wonder if they actually did enough testing to find that the best accuracy with the Partition was at that deeper seating depth?

SAAMI Max COAL on the .300WSM is 2.860. I'd just base seating depth based on the throat of the barrel. The main thing I can think is... If their test barrel had a short throat, the 190 Custom would have the longest ogive in all likely hood. The 200gr Partition has a fairly shorty ogive, and in a very short throat may need to be seated a bit deeper to prevent seating into the lands.

In My Experience, the Accubonds don't really care for much freebore. My .325WSM is seated at a COAL at 2.865, and that puts about .010 to the lands. My rifle seems to enjoy that seating depth.

SAAMI Max COAL on the .300WSM is 2.860. I'd just base seating depth based on the throat of the barrel. The main thing I can think is... If their test barrel had a short throat, the 190 Custom would have the longest ogive in all likely hood. The 200gr Partition has a fairly shorty ogive, and in a very short throat may need to be seated a bit deeper to prevent seating into the lands.

In My Experience, the Accubonds don't really care for much freebore. My .325WSM is seated at a COAL at 2.865, and that puts about .010 to the lands. My rifle seems to enjoy that seating depth.

Makes sense. Thanks.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleyhunter456
Back