300 Win Mag Scope

HowaHunter

I know there are a lot of scope topics on here but I cannot find anything related to my question.

I have a leupold vx2 on my 300 win mag. This scope continues to have the reticles jump. Works like a charm on my smaller rifles. Figured it would on this one.

Anyone have any experience with other scopes under $300 that will put up with the abuse of a 300 win mag? I am usually a vortex man but have hit my pro deal limit for the year on scopes and have limited funds right now and can't wait until the new year. Thinking about the vortex diamondback but prefer their higher end scopes so "shoot" me your suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've got the same issue. I have a SIG SHR that shoots both 300 & 25-06. Only, I might be willing to spend up to about $350, depending on the details. Maybe more if warranted.

Are there any TC Encore enthusiasts out there???? I'd expect them to have some good input.

My mileage isn't far off...had a Nikon Monarch on my 300mag and it did not stand up to the beating. I ended up getting a credit and went with a different scope altogether (way more expensive) - just couldn't risk another break in the field costing an animal. Not sure how Vortex works - schmalts could probably answer that...;)

If you want Vortex and can't use your pro discount, you could check out cameralandny.com they usually have pretty decent prices on vortex

Don't necessarily need a vortex (Thanks for the website) just want good recommendations on reliable scopes. Got to be more people who want to throw some ideas out there. :)

Thanks.

Honestly, there is NO reason why a VXII should not stand up to a 300 win mag. I have had one on my 300 for several years no with no problems. Leupold has an excellent warranty. I would send the scope back. They will replace or repair it, usually all you pay is the shipping there.

Got one one mine. Haven't put hundreds of rounds through it but it's held up just fine.

GWB, my .300mag is a T/C Pro Hunter. LOVE IT! Stainless/synthetic thumbhole stock. Bought it as a .50 cal ML and added the .300 barrel for an elk hunt. Shoots better than I can, so any mistakes are mine...

I've got one of the Leupold VariX II's on my Ruger 77 300win mag, the SS model with the old boat paddle stock and it's been on there since July of 1993. Killed lots of elk and deer with it, several bears, thrown it down a shale slide when I ruptured my ACL, dropped it out of a horse scabbard once, and the gun/scope has been loaned out to kill animals in other peoples hands as well. Never had a reliability issue with that scope.

Glad everyone has better luck with leupold than I do...might send it back or just throw it on the 22.

are you sure its the scope and not the mounts or something else with your rifle? Did you try another scope on the same rifle?

I'd look for an old beat up 4x that's all you need anyway.

Sorry, I gotta use the C word. I have a cabelas Alaskan guide 4-14 that i had on a 300 win mag. It held up and has a very long eye relief. It should fall fright in your price range. I actually got rid of that gun and just put the scope on my new x-bolt 270 WSM. The glass is very good for the money. I'll probably upgrade to something else next year though.

I probably will send it back but will be hesitant to put it on a tool i use for food. Thanks for the suggestions.

Got one one mine. Haven't put hundreds of rounds through it but it's held up just fine.

GWB, my .300mag is a T/C Pro Hunter. LOVE IT! Stainless/synthetic thumbhole stock. Bought it as a .50 cal ML and added the .300 barrel for an elk hunt. Shoots better than I can, so any mistakes are mine...

I'm guessing the scope does well on both the 300 and 50 Cal?

Never take it off. I have a Leupold UltimateSlam on my .50 and it's a tack driver! Drive the hinge pin out, switch barrel/scope combo, and I'm good to go. Scope hasn't moved yet on either one.

Here I am looking like the mad russian during my elk hunt. At least you can see my rifle.

elkhunt056_zpsec7441b4.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, there is NO reason why a VXII should not stand up to a 300 win mag. I have had one on my 300 for several years no with no problems. Leupold has an excellent warranty. I would send the scope back. They will replace or repair it, usually all you pay is the shipping there.

This. Leupold will make it right.

I've got a VXI on my 300. I took it off my .338 WM. It does have hundreds of rounds through it and it's still at 0.

Bambi's got a great point too. Check your rings & mounts.

are you sure its the scope and not the mounts or something else with your rifle? Did you try another scope on the same rifle?

I'd look for an old beat up 4x that's all you need anyway.

agree with the first part of Bambi's post.
I have a Burris on my 7mm Mag, and no issues at all. I'd send it back if everything else checks out. . .no good if you can't keep it dialed in.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back