Yeti GOBOX Collection

300 win mag rifles

DanWyo

I’m looking at a few rifles for a 300 win mag. Anyone have firsthand experience with any of these in this caliber?

Ruger American
Howa 1500/weatherby vanguard
Browning x-bolt stalker

Thanks.

I bought a rifle just like the one below used in 300 win mag with mounts and a leopold variable scope for $900. At 350 yards it shot 1.5" three shot groups consistently. It was a fine rifle for much longer ranges but I never needed to shoot far anyway.

Whe I bought my 280AI I sold it for $1000.

I built this Howa 1500, I haven't been able to start building a load for it but have shot a box Winchester XP 150 grain through it and it averaged 1.25 MOA and have put a box of Hornady precision hunter 200gr eld-x through it and it averaged 1 MOA.

I got some ADG brass and will start working up a load for it this winter after deer season here in IN. So far I like it.

Got a X-bolt that’s never been fired. Won a AB3 at a RMEF banquet this spring. Had to hustle to find dies and brass.
Through together about 15 rounds with some 150 Hornadys that I had laying around for break in. Then loaded 5 “average” loads with 180 partitions. I was impressed with this little $500 rifle.
With no development, the thing shot sub MOA.
Thought about selling it, but think I’ll hang on to it.

I have a Browning X bolt Hells Canyon in .308 and that gun doesn't miss. I won it from goHunt and would not have considered it if I was purchasing a new rifle. I am a Remington and Kimber guy, but that Browning has made me consider changing brands.

I had a Vanguard that would shoot 180 grain accubonds under an inch. Great rifle. I like them enough that when I could no longer handle the magleum recoil, I bought another one in .308.

I've shot Xbolts for many years now in 300WM. I absolutely love mine. Put a suppressor on it and you'll wonder why you never had one before. I have been using the Max Long Range for the past two seasons scoped with a Vortex Viper and an AAC Jaeger suppressor. I've used it on antelope up to elk and oryx. Performed flawlessly. You'd have to go custom to find something better.

I’m looking at a few rifles for a 300 win mag. Anyone have firsthand experience with any of these in this caliber?

Ruger American
Howa 1500/weatherby vanguard
Browning x-bolt stalker

Thanks.
What your gonna find out, maybe already know, is each brand you mentioned has their people that absolutely love them! I'd suggest you go find one of each and figure out what you like. Ruger's are fairly easy to find but I don't recall ever seeing a Howa in a store and not a lot of Browning's. In all likely hood all three are going to do what you need them to do but simply stand back and look at them and one will appeal more than the other's. Then pick them up and handle them and again you'll find one more appealing. As far as shooting bullet's and killing things, they will all do that pretty much equally well.

I am a browning guy, but the weatherby's are sharp looking and come with a muzzle break so I would go with 1 of those two.

If you can bump your budget up $400 I'd say get a Christensen Mesa in the mix.

I had a Vanguard that would shoot 180 grain accubonds under an inch. Great rifle. I like them enough that when I could no longer handle the magleum recoil, I bought another one in .308.
Now there's a rifle I might go for. When Weatherby first brought out the Vanguard I knew a guy that had one and it was a beautiful beautiful rifle. Wood stock and blued barrel. Problem was it was a Weatherby and I've pretty much always been poor. That Vanguard is made by Howa and was one beautiful rifle I wished back then I could afford one. Only Weatherby I've ever seen I liked!

Tikka is another to consider, I waffled between the xbolt and the tikka. I didn't want a 26" barrel, just a PITA for the way I like to hunt.

Now there's a rifle I might go for. When Weatherby first brought out the Vanguard I knew a guy that had one and it was a beautiful beautiful rifle. Wood stock and blued barrel. Problem was it was a Weatherby and I've pretty much always been poor. That Vanguard is made by Howa and was one beautiful rifle I wished back then I could afford one. Only Weatherby I've ever seen I liked!
I bought one (in the 300 WM) quite a few years back. Love it and still have it. Shoots a variety of loads fine.

I wouldn't rule out the ruger american either. Just the same as any economic rifle the aftermarket parts just continue to grow. They shoot great with plenty of ways to tinker and add components if thats your cup of tea.

I appreciate all the input. I reload, but otherwise am a stock rifle guy. Sounds like I can’t go wrong here.

I have a weatherby vanguard 300 win mag in first lite camo. Shoots great as does my other vanguards in 6.5 creed and 6.5 x300 wby mag.

I’ve got a X Bolt Hell’s Canyon Long Range in .300 WSM and it’s a shooter for sure. Like it so well I’ve ordered a regular Hell’s Canyon in 7mm-08. X Bolts are great rifles as I’m sure the others are as well. I’m just partial to the Brownings myself.

The Ruger is awful light. But lots want a easy carry kicker these days.
I like the model 70s. The new ones shoot and function perfectly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back