Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

300 win mag rifles

Those are all good rifles, you just have to go to a store and handle them to see what you prefer. The 300 winmag is an amazing round, you will be happy with it. I personally would spend the extra money for a stainless version for a hunting rifle.

I’ve got a savage 111 that I like a lot and shoots great. My buddy just picked up the ruger American in go wild. That one comes with a muzzle brake. I shot his and was amazed how well the brake worked. It really tamed down the recoil compared to my 111 with a brake. It also shot great out of the box.

Those are all good rifles, you just have to go to a store and handle them to see what you prefer. The 300 winmag is an amazing round, you will be happy with it. I personally would spend the extra money for a stainless version for a hunting rifle.
Agreed. I will never buy another non stainless rifle for hunting. Also, For what it's worth, I have a stainless Tikka t3x 300WM and a 7rem mag weatherby vanguard, give me the Tikka any day of the week.

Hate to be a realist but once you get a group of quality rifles then the big issue is fit. We are not all built the same nor are they. When you throw it up there it locks into place or it doesn't. You know it when it does.

Some wives are similar. It wasn't a fit but they were just to pretty to pass up. Pay now or pay later.

I've had great luck with two Bergara B14 Hunters in 300WM; and two Christensen Arms Mesas. I just got a SS Tikka Lite in 243 that is a tack driver, so thats gotta be a good option too. Love the 300 win Mag!!!

I have 3 Vanguards that will all shoot sub moa. My first one is chambered in .300 Weatherby. It's a blued barrel and action and came in a wood stock that I re-stocked in AA Fancy walnut that fits me. My other two are stainless barrels and actions in Weatherby's Griptonite stocks that I also modified to fit me. One is chambered in .308 Win and the other in .223 Rem. Both of these will also shoot moa groups. All of them are topped with Leupold VX 3i CDS scopes.

I have 3 Vanguards that will all shoot sub moa. My first one is chambered in .300 Weatherby. It's a blued barrel and action and came in a wood stock that I re-stocked in AA Fancy walnut that fits me. My other two are stainless barrels and actions in Weatherby's Griptonite stocks that I also modified to fit me. One is chambered in .308 Win and the other in .223 Rem. Both of these will also shoot moa groups. All of them are topped with Leupold VX 3i CDS scopes.
Have you ever put a bipod on one of your vanguards? I have had issues with the POI changing drastically when putting one on. I'm assuming it's because it's not a free floating barrel but just checking if anyone else has that issue.

Whichever weighs the most and has the better trigger; probably the Howa.

I'll chip in a dollar to see a video of someone running a box thru a stock Ruger American .300WM.

I bought the Tikka T3X Superlight this year thinking I was headed back to Alaska. Within the first 20 rounds I was plinking a 4” grouping on the gong at 500 yards. This coming from someone who had never shot past 315 before. Tack driver.

Oh yeah, and it did it’s job on two bucks this year!
D3381766-B5D6-4D9A-A9B3-A3626D6524D3.jpeg
65AB7846-1F1B-47C1-AC5F-3A9E4D9F5004.jpeg

Have you ever put a bipod on one of your vanguards? I have had issues with the POI changing drastically when putting one on. I'm assuming it's because it's not a free floating barrel but just checking if anyone else has that issue.
Yes, I've put Uncle Mike's flush mount, detachable sling mounts on all of my rifles. I also modified my Harris bipod with a male portion of the sling mount so I can put my bipod on any of my rifles. I shoot my .223 and .308 Vanguards every week at the range from a prone position with the bipod at the 200, 300, and 430 yard gongs.

A few weeks to a month before I go on a hunt, I'll also shoot the rifle that I will be hunting with the bipod at those gongs. This includes my .300 Wby and .375 RUM.

I re-stocked 5 of my hunting rifles and have modified 3 of my plastic stocked rifles (including my .223 and .308 Vanguards) to include glass or pillar and glass bedding and free floating the barrels.

I have not seen any change of POI on any of these rifles when shooting from the bench or with the bipod.

I don’t know if you’re limited by budget, but @MTLabrador had a Sako Finnlight with him that impressed the heck out of me. If I were to buy a new rifle tomorrow they would be on the short list.

Toss Sauer 100 XT in 300 winmag for consideration. It comes with 5 shot 100 yd 1 MOA 10 year guarantee and a host a features that compares well in price and function with the Tikkas. I have one in 8x57 and am impressed with price, features and accuracy. It is a light rifle (6.9 lbs) so 300 winmag recoil is an issue to consider.

I think one of the most beautiful rifles I ever saw was a Sauer. Didn't have the money at that time. Thinking back, Sauer in the early 70's made a bolt action for Smith and Wesson that was also a beautiful rifle.

I don’t know if you’re limited by budget, but @MTLabrador had a Sako Finnlight with him that impressed the heck out of me. If I were to buy a new rifle tomorrow they would be on the short list.
Balance, handling, accuracy and a great trigger make it one sweet rifle. It’s also pretty comfortable to shoot for a relatively light .300 Winchester.

Tikka is another to consider, I waffled between the xbolt and the tikka. I didn't want a 26" barrel, just a PITA for the way I like to hunt.

2nd on the Tikka. I'm getting one ready for 2023 elk. Wideland camo and black ceracote in 300 Win Mag.

blacksheep

I’m looking at a few rifles for a 300 win mag. Anyone have firsthand experience with any of these in this caliber?

Ruger American
Howa 1500/weatherby vanguard
Browning x-bolt stalker

Thanks.
I think that todays rifle's are so far ahead of older rifles that one is pretty much as good as another. Go look at those rifle's and pick the one that appeals to you. Probably make you happy!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back