Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

300 SAUM & 165 Partition

elkhnter

I believe I know the answer, but still going to ask the question.
I can push the 165 Partition around 2900 fps with several different powders. Elk, black bear and hogs will be the uses. See any problems?
Main concern would be elk at 350-400 yards.
Not looking to debate the 300 SAUM, I personally love it.

A 160 grain Partition traveling 2950fps out of my 7 SAUM dropped my elk in its tracks, but it was at 100 yards. Lol

I would expect great results out of your combo.

I believe I know the answer, but still going to ask the question.
I can push the 165 Partition around 2900 fps with several different powders. Elk, black bear and hogs will be the uses. See any problems?
Main concern would be elk at 350-400 yards.
Not looking to debate the 300 SAUM, I personally love it.
Can't think of anything that I'll ever hunt that I wouldn't hunt with a 300 SAUM and 165gr Partition. JY Jones used that bullet out of a 30-06 for most of the North American Slam. He switched to a 200gr Partiton for a few species, but not many.

Reactions: Guy
A fellow 300 SAUM owner! There aren’t many of us out there. I think you are good to go. I used 165 Core-Lokt ammo for my plains game African Safari and it performed very well. I would not hesitate shooting an elk with that setup.

Sounds like a solid plan...you could probably squeeze another 100-150fps out of your SAUM but that's not going to affect performance at distances you mention.
My 300 saum is a 673 with a 22” barrel. I was trying to be conservative at 2900.
Going to work with Varget powder and see what happens. Got more Varget than anything else.
Now , finding the Partitions is another issue. Have a couple boxes of 165 AB that I may start with.

Where are yall finding your 300 saum ammo? I'm in VA, and having quite a difficult time finding any!

You should be good to 400 yards. Here is a range table with your data in. The generally accepted minimum kinetic energy required for elk is around 1500 ft. lbs. While that is not the only factor and I am sure I am asking for the "I shot XX number of elk with a XXX" it is a good starting point.

Range Table.jpg

Not to pop your bubble....but Seriously? Kids, women, Grand Ma's & Pops, RANDY use a 7/08 for elk, with a 140's, all their life and the freezer stays packed.

Why would you even question if a 300SAUM and a 165 would be anything short of enough?

Numbers on a data sheet don't fill tags. Time on the range, shot placement and hunting skills do.

Not to pop your bubble....but Seriously? Kids, women, Grand Ma's & Pops, RANDY use a 7/08 for elk, with a 140's, all their life and the freezer stays packed.

Why would you even question if a 300SAUM and a 165 would be anything short of enough?

Numbers on a data sheet don't fill tags. Time on the range, shot placement and hunting skills do.
He wasn't questioning if it was enough. His question was if it was still enough at 400 yards.

PS: Kinetic energy is what causes trauma and hemorrhaging of the tissue which is the bulk of the damage a rifle bullet causes. Higher the KE the greater the damage. It's not the only factor but yes it very much kills.

I’d happily shoot that up to your distances. I’ve worked my 300wsm with 22” of barrel up to 3170 with 162 Absolute Hammers with non-traditional powder.

Always looking for alternative powders.
Was thrilled to find a Varget load the rifle loves. Got about 3# of the stuff and no 5.56 brass to load.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back