Yeti GOBOX Collection

3 lopes, 3 states one week, can it be done?

Rodzilla

Its a dream of mine to do 3 antelope hunts in 3 states in one year, but doing it in a week, would that be too aggressive? I should draw a NW CO antelope tag with 11 points (3, 301); have 2 WY and 2 MT points, thinking of hitting a special tag in WY, and hoping for a southwestern tag in MT. I know I would not do them too much justice; so I am debating if i should bite the bullet and do it. Traveling from California, so my thought is to hit CO first, 12-13 hour drive , then drive north and hit WY, then circle to MT before coming back home. Love antelope hunting, not a trophy guy, mid 70s or ugly will do any day. Anyone else try anything like this? Figure 2 days for each hunt, then travel. Sat travel, Mon/Tues (CO), Tues night travel to WY, Wed/Thur (WY), Thurs night travel to MT, Fri/Sat (MT), drive home Sunday. Maybe I should wait MT for next year and focus on CO & WY? or perhaps return CO if I draw the other two. Decisions :unsure:.

If you don’t have to donut in a year I would spread it out. I feel like you could finish the whole thing one day per state if conditions are tight but then you really don’t get to experience any of the terrain or areas. I would make the most of the different areas rather than focus on getting them quick. But if you want the memory of 3 hunts in a week and that is more important than the terrain and areas where your hunting... all comes down to your priorities.

Love antelope hunting, not a trophy guy, mid 70s or ugly will do any day.

Mid 70s would be a trophy to me. I killed one last year that is 71-72ish and I was very excited about it. It was the biggest of the 5 I have killed.

Pronghorn are my absolute favorite to hunt and is the favorite table fare in my house so that's a tough call. I agree with JLS though and think it should be a 2 wk trip. If you tag out sooner you can always move on to the next destination but won't feel rushed. If taking extra time isn't in the cards then just take time on your 11yr investment and hit WY and MT next year with an extra point. Don't forget in WY you can get 2 reduced priced doe tags so next year you could take 4 pronghorn if you draw em all.

If that makes you happy, go for it.

You also might consider a hunt that would allow you multiple does, including deer, or hogs.
I’d prefer to hunt until I found a buck I like, then go fly fishing.

It could be done, yes. But with 3 tags, I'd opt to stretch the time out. If it's a challenge that you want to do, I say go for it!

Good comments stated above; thinking i may put in for MT (50% odds in the unit i wanted), maybe switch the WY tag to a random tag; if I draw both then, maybe return the CO tag, if need be. I applied for CO 3,301 and should draw with the 11 points, but I am not overly excited on the unit from what i have learned from folks that have hunted it recently (but never been, still learning in using OnX). Didn't think of Doe tags in WY, will for sure put in for doe tags too. All this Pandemic news has me thinking to go now and not wait for next year, since next year may not come. I could stretch my time off to 8 days max. The other thing is weather needs to cooperate, never know in WY, can now 5 inches the first week in Oct or be 75 degrees and sunny. I may take my chances.

I personally wouldn't do that. Burn 11, 2 and 2 points for seven days of hunting including travel around those three states? Hell no!

I'd book a week long trip to hunt on those 11 points alone and do a week long trip next season in Wyoming and Montana (unless you can extend your trip or do a second one later), but I'd limit myself to two states max...

But eh, those are your hard earned points, do as you please and most importantly, have fun!

/\/\/\ What he said. I would feel very rushed and not enjoy that experience personally. But at the end of the day it's your tags. I'd just rather savor the moments a little more and not run a rats race myself.
If you have waited 11 years on a tag why would you want to only hunt 1-2 days?

Hunt the CO tag and pick up a couple WY doe tags this year in the unit you’d like to buck hunt in WY next year. Hopefully you’ll come home with three antelope and some knowledge for next year’s WY buck tag. Maybe fill some time fishing or grouse hunting. Then next year grab your two buck tags and a couple more doe tags. Good luck.

Good comments stated above; thinking i may put in for MT (50% odds in the unit i wanted), maybe switch the WY tag to a random tag; if I draw both then, maybe return the CO tag, if need be. I applied for CO 3,301 and should draw with the 11 points, but I am not overly excited on the unit from what i have learned from folks that have hunted it recently (but never been, still learning in using OnX). Didn't think of Doe tags in WY, will for sure put in for doe tags too. All this Pandemic news has me thinking to go now and not wait for next year, since next year may not come. I could stretch my time off to 8 days max. The other thing is weather needs to cooperate, never know in WY, can now 5 inches the first week in Oct or be 75 degrees and sunny. I may take my chances.
3 antelope bucks in a week with travel would not be a stretch. I hunted 3, 301 last year and, like you heard, it is nothing to write home about. It is comparable to a 0-2 point unit in WY. There are a fair amount of antelope, not a ton, and trophy quality is not great. You didn't waste your points though because Colorado just does not have a lot to offer in the way of antelope opportunity on public. I had fun because I love antelope hunting anywhere, but it sounds like your expectations are in check. Have fun! Sounds like a blast.

I did 4 states in one year, Wyoming, Colorado, NM and Texas. The seasons lined up for me to do them all in one year. Was fun and learned some things about pronghorn behavior in other states.
Might be iffy on travel, a winter storm could have you waiting for roads to open.

I wouldn’t do it, driving from California to Colorado setting up camp getting a buck, taking care of the meat taking down camp driving to Wyoming to do it all over again and then again but to Montana then back to California is a hell of a tall order and with all that pressure I don’t know if it’d be very enjoyable myself

Back