3 first timers day-by-day

np307

Well, today's the day. Since December of last year when I asked a few buddies if they would be interested in going to Wyoming for an antelope hunt, I've been looking forward to today. I've wanted to go West to hunt ever since I spent a few weeks out there several summers ago.

We started with 5 in the group which was whittled down to three through different circumstances. I'm carrying a buck tag and a doe tag, the other two have 3 doe tags between them.

This will be a completely DIY ordeal. I researched which tags to draw and what public land would be available. No guides or ranches. Because none of us had many preference points (I had only 1) this isn't a highly coveted unit. It did sell out of tags this year though. We will be camping for the week on a piece of BLM land.

Today begins the 1700 mile trek out there. 25 hours of driving in my Camry pulling a little trailer for gear. I'll try to give as much of a day-by-day as possible. Right now our plan is to get out there Sunday, set up camp, confirm zero on rifles, and settle in. Monday will be scouting day. Tuesday through Thursday are full hunt days. Friday we pack up camp, possibly hunt the morning, then drive back. Fairly quick trip, but that's the time constraint we had to deal with.

Also, I wanted to say thanks to all the HTers who have helped answer questions and give input along the way. You've definitely helped us get to this point.

If some of what I post seems unnecessarily informative for this audience, keep in mind I'm cross posting these on an NC board as well, so I'm trying to answer as many questions preemptively as possible.

Good luck out there and stay safe. So many guys always say "next year" when planning to hunt out west by actually getting out there you've already overcome what stops most. One problem you'll be hooked for life.

I'll be curious to know how the Camry likes long-haul towing. Good luck & safe travels!

I'll be curious to know how the Camry likes long-haul towing. Good luck & safe travels!

A few years ago I looked into renting a U Haul trailer and they won't rent one to you if you're going to tow it with a Ford Explorer. May have changed since.

Well, today's the day. Since December of last year when I asked a few buddies if they would be interested in going to Wyoming for an antelope hunt, I've been looking forward to today. I've wanted to go West to hunt ever since I spent a few weeks out there several summers ago.

We started with 5 in the group which was whittled down to three through different circumstances. I'm carrying a buck tag and a doe tag, the other two have 3 doe tags between them.

This will be a completely DIY ordeal. I researched which tags to draw and what public land would be available. No guides or ranches. Because none of us had many preference points (I had only 1) this isn't a highly coveted unit. It did sell out of tags this year though. We will be camping for the week on a piece of BLM land.

Today begins the 1700 mile trek out there. 25 hours of driving in my Camry pulling a little trailer for gear. I'll try to give as much of a day-by-day as possible. Right now our plan is to get out there Sunday, set up camp, confirm zero on rifles, and settle in. Monday will be scouting day. Tuesday through Thursday are full hunt days. Friday we pack up camp, possibly hunt the morning, then drive back. Fairly quick trip, but that's the time constraint we had to deal with.

You don't say which area that you're going to. Sounds like a lot of crappy wet rainy weather in the forecast for a lot of next week in Wyoming. Don't see any snow for YNP tho. SOS as last year. Could be real fun off road even with 4WD. Could end up needing 10 wheel drive. I had someone tell me that they once had so much mud in their wheelwells that they couldn't turn the wheels to steer.

Last edited:
Keeping three out of five original "yeah, I wanna go" seems better than average for first time east coasters.

Looking forward to tales of the adventure.

Use your range finders well, wide open spaces with eyes used to seeing 100 yards as "wide open space" are mind bending.

Poor car, it looks like you may of over packed a bit.

Rifle, backpack with three days clothes, game bags, and a water bottle and a cooler. Oh yeah, and credit card for the hotel room.

Woof, that’s a long drive. Good luck and have fun!

Poor car, it looks like you may of over packed a bit.

Rifle, backpack with three days clothes, game bags, and a water bottle and a cooler. Oh yeah, and credit card for the hotel room.
I can guarantee we over packed. But we've never done this before and had absolutely no idea what we're actually getting into. Plus, we're going to camp for the week and are coming from 95 degree temps to cool and windy.

Have fun, relax and enjoy NP307. Mid week hunting will be alot better than Sunday and Monday hold off on small bucks early.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back