Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2nd Chance Buck

Poke 'Em

I was hunting a piece of public land yesterday when I spotted a nice buck coming through with a few does/fawns. When I spotted him, he was about 400 yds off, and he was swinging wide around me, but still getting closer. When he stopped to work a scrape at 250 yds, I figured that was as close as he was going to get. I squeezed off a round, and thought I hit him by his reaction. He popped back out about 30 yards away, however, so I tried to put another one in him (or so I thought). After the 2nd shot, he disappeared for several minutes until I saw him cut across the open 350 yards away. I went down and searched both where he was when I shot (both time), and the trail he took as he boogied out of there. I never found any blood.

This morning, a little over an hour after daylight, I saw what I thought might have been a buck a little over 1/2 mile away on some private land, slowly heading my way. About 1/4 of a mile away, he started heading over an open field and I could tell he was a good buck. He was at about 150 yards, and still heading my way, when I heard a truck and looked up to see a "hunter" in a pickup coming down the road. Once that "hunter" got close, I knew the buck would scram, so it was now or never. I put it on his shoulder, squeezed off a round, and he dropped in his tracks. Upon further examination, I'm pretty sure he's the buck I missed yesterday.

15073834733_26e9ebb7de_b.jpg

15508388470_162d503647_b.jpg

15669469846_9faa1cba9e_b.jpg

Now, on to antelope!

Last edited:
Stud of a buck! You've got these bit whities figured out. Congrats!

Very nice! Congrats! Though I hunt whitetails every year here in IN, hunting them in that kind of country would be an absolute hoot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back