PEAX Equipment

28 Nosler Opinions

They are about as impressive as it gets on paper when it comes to crunching numbers. My sentiments align with @brockel and @Mthuntr though.

If i'm going to have that horsepower, i'm going to want to be able to utilize it. And if i'm going to utilize it, that means actually practicing and shooting the thing.

If i'm going to have that horsepower, i'm going to want to be able to utilize it. And if i'm going to utilize it, that means actually practicing and shooting the thing.
In the hands of a shooter that can "utilize " a large cartridge, well, it opens things up a bit. mtmuley

I’m stupid, somebody please educate me.

What does a 28 Nosler do that a 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 30-378 Weatherby, 300 rum, 7mm Weatherby mag, 7prc and on and on can’t do?

I get the new shiny thing appeal, but beyond that I am baffled with all of these new cartridges.

Buy 1 and don't even think about barrel life unless you are taking it to shoot PDs every week, burns alot of powder but you get a lot from it, I'm at 3168fps with 180s, recoil is very manageable with a brake, mines a Browning X bolt LR, our 15yr old shoots it doesn't bother him.

What does a 28 Nosler do that a 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 30-378 Weatherby, 300 rum, 7mm Weatherby mag, 7prc and on and on can’t do?

I get the new shiny thing appeal, but beyond that I am baffled with all of these new cartridges.

Like any cartridge discussion, we fixate on the little differences.

It's faster than the other 7s you listed and in a relatively short case for it's capacity which makes it easier to fit in mags with long bullets than some.

It doesn't have a belt which can be a PITA as the firing count gets up there on brass and usually means a lot of case stretch on the first firing since most virgin belted magnum cases fit sloppy around the shoulder area of a chamber.

Has desirable steeper shoulders which also results in less case stretch.

So basically, it pushes slick 7mm bullets faster than about anything but a 7 rum (which is silly overbore) and has a nice case design.

Like any cartridge discussion, we fixate on the little differences.

It's faster than the other 7s you listed and in a relatively short case for it's capacity which makes it easier to fit in mags with long bullets than some.

It doesn't have a belt which can be a PITA as the firing count gets up there on brass and usually means a lot of case stretch on the first firing since most virgin belted magnum cases fit sloppy around the shoulder area of a chamber.

Has desirable steeper shoulders which also results in less case stretch.

So basically, it pushes slick 7mm bullets faster than about anything but a 7 rum (which is silly overbore) and has a nice case design.
Also, sometimes it’s just fun to pick the pepper from the fly shit.

Easy

They kill a millisecond faster.

Why do I have a 200MPH car, that does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds when I cant drive that fast anywhere. Just because.

Last edited:
Easy

They kill a millisecond faster.

Why do I have a 200MPH car, that does 0-60 in 3.3 seconds when I cant drive that fast anywhere. Just because.
Yep totally cool with it too. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss a reason other than that.

Friend of mine shot and loaded for one. Might have been that particular rifle, but it was a pain to find a load. They also had issues with seating depth and excessive powder residue build up outside the case neck. It's been awhile so I forgot the technical details. And brass is almost nonexistent. mtmuley

Also not to derail, but if anyone is desperate for 7 RUM brass, the Scheels in Johnstown, CO has had ADG 7 RUM brass on the shelf for a couple months. Even if you don't live anywhere near there, it looks like you can change your "local store" to that location and it's available on the website. I just checked and it's still in-stock.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back