Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

.277 Fury

Brian in Montana

I'm more or less on the lookout for my next build. The .277 Sig Fury is a contender and I noticed X-Caliber has it as an option in Rem-Age barrels. Anybody have one?

Basically a 270 in a 308 sized case...I suppose most can argue the repetitive nature of new cartridges. So for hunting, I give it a yes because ballistics look great.

My concern is basically you must use factory ammo because of the design. That scares me if in a few years they decide to stop making it because only 1 company makes a rifle

Basically a 270 in a 308 sized case...I suppose most can argue the repetitive nature of new cartridges. So for hunting, I give it a yes because ballistics look great.

My concern is basically you must use factory ammo because of the design. That scares me if in a few years they decide to stop making it because only 1 company makes a rifle
Presently getting brass would be a problem. That might change in years to come.

I don't know what the availability of their high pressure case will be, but without it, it's just a 7mm-08 ballistically.

The upside is that the army adopted the cartridge so it will probably stick around.

Do you know if they're using different primers to handle the extra pressure?

I'm more or less on the lookout for my next build. The .277 Sig Fury is a contender and I noticed X-Caliber has it as an option in Rem-Age barrels. Anybody have one?
How does that work? Not sure a Remington action will last being fed 80,000 psi. mtmuley

I don't know about the primer issue for the high pressures, but the the option in X-Caliber 's drop down box says something like "SAAMI, 65K PSI". I believe the military version is up around 80K.

I'm not sure if this is brand new offering or not, but I've been on X-Caliber's website more than a few times and never noticed it before.

I don't know about the primer issue for the high pressures, but the the option in X-Caliber 's drop down box says something like "SAAMI, 65K PSI". I believe the military version is up around 80K.

I'm not sure if this is brand new offering or not, but I've been on X-Caliber's website more than a few times and never noticed it before.
So if you can't load to 80K, what's the advantage over any other .270? mtmuley

They introduced it in July.

There are a lot of options for the ol .270 these days. Probly more effective and easier than the Fury. Plus, you wouldn't have a PRC. Win win. mtmuley

From Frank Green, owner of bartlein barrels, on the 277 fury:

277SF.... operating that at 80k psi and you want to keep the barrel in peak accuracy configuration.... you will need to clean the barrel after every 20 rounds fired. I'm not making that up. That's hard data. From a machinegun/combat gun point of view and accuracy not a big deal most likely but some guy wanting to build a hunting rifle or match rifle with this round.... I've told all the guys here in the office. Not happening. I won't do it. Yes at this time the 80k psi ammo is suppose to only be available to the military and the commercial ammo will be downloaded to what are suppose to be normal levels. I'll guarantee though....some guy isn't going to like the box ammo at 2800fps and will take to reloading it to get the 3000+fps mil spec. but he will have no clue as to what pressure the ammo is running at. Fouling will be an issue, along with barrel life, accuracy etc....
Here is some other data and this relates to 277SF and 80k psi pressure....

The steel case head/two piece case design and running the rounds at 80k psi.... the 400modBB material has stood up better vs standard s.s. or c.m. barrels to the chambers getting rings in them where that steel/brass shoulder junction is. I've got pictures with measurements where that ring starts to show at like a 110 rounds. By 500+ rounds that ring is about a .001" deep and by 700+ rounds the ring had grown to almost .002" and extraction issues where starting to happen.

6.8 western is a short action .270, no? Would presume would be very similar to low pressure .277 Fury? If it was 6.8 PRC or 6.8 Creedmoor I’d say it would be selling more. Hornady seems to be the only company that can introduce and successfully market new cartridges these days. The military seems to have a liking to all things Sig nowadays.

6.8 western is a short action .270, no? Would presume would be very similar to low pressure .277 Fury? If it was 6.8 PRC or 6.8 Creedmoor I’d say it would be selling more. Hornady seems to be the only company that can introduce and successfully market new cartridges these days. The military seems to have a liking to all things Sig nowadays.
And the 6.8 Western is just a recycled .270 WSM with a longer throat (for heavier bullets) on its SAMMI spec.

And the 6.8 Western is just a recycled .270 WSM with a longer throat (for heavier bullets) on its SAMMI spec.

Yeah but it’s more than that because the long bullets actually fit in a short action without being stuffed deep in the case. Really well designed cartridge just kind of doomed by bore diameter and which company brought it to market.

Hornady does do marketing better than anyone but they deserve credit for being better at designing cartridges than the others too.

Last edited:
Yeah but it’s more than that because the long bullets actually fit in a short action without being stuffed deep in the case. Really well designed cartridge just kind of doomed by bore diameter and company that brought it to market.

Hornady does do marketing better than anyone but they deserve credit for being better at designing cartridges than the others too.
Agreed. My statement was an oversimplification, and undeservedly so. It is a cool design, but there really isn’t the groundswell of heavy for caliber offerings in .277. Surely not like there is in 6, 6.5, 7, and .30.

The thing that the PRC line has behind it, besides Hornady’s marketing machine, is support for the reloading community. You can find brass for it. Not one manufacturer high quality of brass - ADG, Lapua, Peterson, etc. signed on to make brass… doomed from the get go.

I see the .277 Fury going the same route.

Agreed. My statement was an oversimplification, and undeservedly so. It is a cool design, but there really isn’t the groundswell of heavy for caliber offerings in .277. Surely not like there is in 6, 6.5, 7, and .30.

The thing that the PRC line has behind it, besides Hornady’s marketing machine, is support for the reloading community. You can find brass for it. Not one manufacturer high quality of brass - ADG, Lapua, Peterson, etc. signed on to make brass… doomed from the get go.

I see the .277 Fury going the same route.

Seems like there was some nice movement in heavy for caliber .277 HUNTING bullet options coinciding with the 6.8 western release. I don't recall any heavy "match" style bullets released. I don't know the numbers.. but the creedmoor and PRC cartridges are used a lot by "precision rifle" shooters who shoot a lot punching paper and ringing steel and are mostly using target/match style projectiles which creates demand for high quality components (brass). These folks shoot a lot more than the avg hunter. The 6.8 western never seemed to attempt to appeal to the PRS/NRL/FClass/Benchrest crowd that seems to drive a lot of hype, demand, and product development. In terms of volume, focusing new cartridge design/releases on the hunting market seems like a tough go when "Precision shooting" type cartridge development transitions seamlessly to hunting purposes and should correlate to a higher volume of ammo being shot.

If the 277 actually catches on and sticks with the military (we'll see..) I could see the tacticool dorks who buy 5.56 and 7.62/308 "cuz the military" creating a market for it.

Last edited:
From Frank Green, owner of bartlein barrels, on the 277 fury:
Some good info there. Acceptable accuracy ranging from match, to hunting, to military battle rifles are quite different. Bolt guns with full house rounds are probably not going to be acceptable terribly long for most users. Military acceptance standard on a battle rifle is 4 MOA, and honestly I'd be surprised if many actually get fielded before .mil changes their minds again and does another round of contract bidding and evaluation.

The plus is more variety in the .277 projectile arena than at any time I can remember.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back