270win ammo

Bearstew

I’m in a pinch and have to switch ammo quickly. I am shooting a browning xbolt and my 150 LR accubonds are not grouping, grabbed a cheap box of pmc and took three shots and all three are touching. Looking for anyone shooting a 270win that may of had some better luck with another 150grain ammo

150grain is not readily available for the 270. Plan to try the hornady precision hunters which are 145gr, and the federal premium which have the nosler partition

I leave for Colorado next Wednesday and nosler is not readily available where I live. And I guess I’m looking to try something else as these accubonds do not group out of my gun. They group fine out of my buddy’s xbolt in 30-06

The ABLR 150's are hard to stabilize in standard 1-10" twist 270's because they are so long. Some folks are able to do it without issue, but some are not.

In general, most standard length spire point bullets at 150gr for the 270 should shoot well and will kill an elk nicely at normal ranges.

For specifics; I have a buddy who had success with Fed fusion 130's on elk. Thats a bit light for my taste on elk so I'd go with the 150gr fusions's if you can find em.

Another option is the Federal Premium which is loaded with the 150gr Partitions, which will kill anything you can hit well.

Edit: In all reality a Remington Cor-Lokt in 150 should be just fine too...

The ABLR 150's are hard to stabilize in standard 1-10" twist 270's because they are so long. Some folks are able to do it without issue, but some are not.

In general, most standard length spire point bullets at 150gr for the 270 should shoot well and will kill an elk nicely at normal ranges.

The federal premiums and fusions are both available and I planned on trying the premiums tomm. Thanks for the input

For specifics; I have a buddy who had success with Fed fusion 130's on elk. Thats a bit light for my taste on elk so I'd go with the 150gr fusions's if you can find em.

Another option is the Federal Premium which is loaded with the 150gr Partitions, which will kill anything you can hit well.

I plan to try the premiums tomorrow. I know the gun will shoot the hornady 140gr well

Cutting it a bit short? Sounds like you live in BFE so buy a couple boxes and get to the range. Most bullets will do what you need (I'm assuming elk)...lots of elk (and tons of African Plains game) killed with old school cup-and-core bullets. Don't overthink this.

I leave for Colorado next Wednesday and nosler is not readily available where I live. And I guess I’m looking to try something else as these accubonds do not group out of my gun. They group fine out of my buddy’s xbolt in 30-06

I’d buy a few boxes of what’s readily available and shoot it at 100 ASAP. Whatever shoots best go buy 2 more boxes. Head back to the range and practice out to whatever range you are comfortable with to confirm your zero and drops.

I’m in a pinch and have to switch ammo quickly. I am shooting a browning xbolt and my 150 LR accubonds are not grouping, grabbed a cheap box of pmc and took three shots and all three are touching. Looking for anyone shooting a 270win that may of had some better luck with another 150grain ammo
Elk, or smaller critters?

I bet youd do pretty darn good with 140 grin Hornady American Whitetail or Federal Fusions. Had good luck with both and you can find them pretty much anywhere.

Edit: In all reality a Remington Cor-Lokt in 150 should be just fine too...

You were 110% spot on with this. I spoke with Mike at nosler and he basically said the exact same thing. The LR Accubonds cannot stabilize hence their inconsistency. He offered to exchange the 5 boxes I have for anything they sell which is top notch customer service. I picked up 2 boxes of the federal premiums with 150gr nosler partitions, two boxes of the fusions 150grain and one box of the hornady precision hunters ( I may have same issue with those as I did with the accubonds so I only bought one) I will test all of the above tomm at 100yards and see which group the best, then I will dial everything back in from 200-400 yards over the next few days.

I’m having the same frustration with the 150gr. ABLR’s, whereas last year i had 1/2moa with 140gr. Nosler ballistic tips in my 270win.

I’m having the same frustration with the 150gr. ABLR’s, whereas last year i had 1/2moa with 140gr. Nosler ballistic tips in my 270win.

I was boiling inside today scratching my head at what it could of been. I brought my trigger pull down just below 3lbs about a month ago and thought maybe my two bolts had come loose so I checked with fat wrench and that wasn’t it. The only other thing I did was reset my zero on my cds so then I began thinking it was something with my scope. Was happy (and furious) at the same time to findout it was the ammo. I will touch base on here tomm to let you know what worked best for me. I also bought one box of the browning bxc in 145 grain. Ultimately I will end up exchanging the 5 or so boxes with nosler for bullets and reload myself.

Id just run the pmc ammo. A 270 Winchester 150 grain velocities aren't hard on bullets. My guess is that bullet is going 2850-2900 at most which is not going to destroy the bullet. Stick it in the crease and get to packing

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back