Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

270 WSM or 30-06

I am simply stating that "looking at the operator" is not a fair statement.

If that was the point you were trying to make, why make the snarky comment about bowing to me?

The question was not about marksmanship, or canyons, or anything else. It was whether or not the 270 WSM loaded with 140 grain Accubonds was sufficient to kill elk. I will firmly stand behind my comment, more specifically that the operator either 1) took a shitty shot they shouldn't have or 2) did not make a "good" shot regardless of what they would tell you.

Shock doesn't kill. Loss of blood volume and CNS incapacitation are what kill (or long term infection for a poor shot). Not all double lung shots are created equal. A good shot to the center of the circulatory system equals a dead elk in very short order.

If you can shoot a big gun well and want to, have at it.

I've not killed an elk with it, but my 7mm WSM loves 140gr bullets. I would have no problem using a 140gr accubond for elk.

The .270 Win or .270WSM are near the bottom of the list of calibers that I consider adequate for elk. That means having the presence of mind to turn down a shot if it's to long or the hunter doesn't have a good lung shot available. These calibers are good when all conditions are near perfect, the hunter is not prone to "buck fever" and the weather is cooperative. GJ

The .270 Win or .270WSM are near the bottom of the list of calibers that I consider adequate for elk. That means having the presence of mind to turn down a shot if it's to long or the hunter doesn't have a good lung shot available. These calibers are good when all conditions are near perfect, the hunter is not prone to "buck fever" and the weather is cooperative. GJ

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. I have personally sent quality 130 grain bullets fired from a standard 270 completely through a quartering away elk at 380 yards. Shot placement and bullet construction trump all.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. I have personally sent quality 130 grain bullets fired from a standard 270 completely through a quartering away elk at 380 yards. Shot placement and bullet construction trump all.

I agree 100% with your statements regarding his post. Next he'll be saying my 30-06s aren't enough and I should go to a heavy magnum, LOL!

They can bleed a long ways with heart or lung shot or one broken shoulder if they are rutting. I shot a bull 3 years ago with my 300WM and 180gr at 334 yards and broke one shoulder, hit the heart , one lung and it ran down uphill over the crest and down the backside for 3/4 mile. It was a good shot.

I have a feeling there's a lot more to this story than what you wrote. The only heart shot animal that goes 3/4 mile is a nick.

A 270 shooting 140 gr bullets is definitely not the same gun as a 300 magnum pushing 200 grain bullets at 2900 fps +.

That said, the more animals I shoot, including elk, the less difference I think I'm seeing between the various cartridges.

Whenever I hear someone single out and bash a particular bullet diameter, or better yet a specific cartridge, I know they are not fully observing all the variables that go into a shot. You'll run across people who say for instance that a 7mm Rem May is a terrible cartridge for elk but think a 270 is ok or vice versa. That doesn't jive with physics, folks.

I know that a 277 or 284 bullet is very adequate for elk when pushed to 3000+ at the muzzle, and probably a lot slower too. Anyone who says it is inadequate has simply not interpreted their experiences correctly.

We all have to live with our consciences/ethics. I'm done with this thread. Hope all your shots are good ones. GJ

I've taken lots of elk with 140 gr. Partitions in a .280 Remington and 280 AI. The 140 gr. Accubond in your 270 WSM will be an excellent elk slayer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back