MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

270 WSM or 30-06

Elk Arrow

Looking for your opinions here.

I recently picked up a Browning Xbolt in 270WSM and was planning on shooting Nosler AccuBond ammunition. My concern is that the 140g bullets would be to light for elk.

Should I setup this gun for whitetails in the midwest and keep the tried and true 30-06 setup for elk out west?

Either will work great. Go with the rifle you trust the most. Which one do you shoot well out to 300 yards?

The 140 AccuBond is enough bullet, I've used 140s on deer, bear and elk and if I ever learn how to draw tags will keep using a 140 AccuBond. Find the ammo that 270WSM likes and get it dialed in, I'd use it for the simple fact you need to get it out there in the field and get its' first kill.

Took my last bull moose with a 140 gr out of my 270 wsm. Dropped him hard.

Think its time to get out to the range and shoot. I haven't shot the 270WSM since I bought it so I'll interested to see how the Nosler's shoot. If I can't get good groups I'll try Barnes TSX-BT and Federal Trophy Bonded Tip.

I'm a sucker for flat and fast bullets. Go with the 140 Accubond and sight in 3" high at 100. Should put you close to a 300 yard zero and only 8" - 10" low at 400 if you are going fast enough. 0 - 350 hold on fur, at 400 hold on the top of the back. This has worked great for me.

I have the exact same gun, and 140 trophy bonded tipped were dead accurate. I have not tried the accubonds as the others were so accurate. Plenty of gun for elk. Get it dialed in and go shoot an elk!

140 AB in either a 270 WSM or the original version is plenty of gun for elk.

I've seen bulls killed with the .270 Win using 130 and 150 Nosler partitions and 140 Win Failsafe bullets. These were good sized four and five year old bulls taken at 200+ yds on in to 40 yds. Can't see why the WSM wouldn't do as well with compatible bullets. GJ

Shot placement is always more important that caliber size, but there is always a fine median to shoot for. With big-game, I try to hover as close to a .30 caliber as I can, while keeping the rifle and myself as accurate as possible. Practice and preparation is the key to success.

I have used my 270WSM with 140Gr Accubonds on cow elk. Works great. Personally I would not use on a big bull. It just doesn't have the energy for a longer shot if necessary. You want something that can break down a bull and anchor him. Speed doesn't kill, energy does. Yes you can kill a bull with a .243. You can also use a .22 for personal protection of you want.

Energy doesn't kill, shot placement does. Put a wound channel in the right spot and you'll have a dead critter.

If that 270 WSM with a 140 Accubond won't kill an elk, the first place I'd look is at the operator.

The 140 ab in the 270wsm is a fine elk load. I've shot 3 elk (2 bulls) with my 270wsm with 130 ttsx's and never felt lacking for killing power. I would shoot 140ab but the gun likes the barnes better.

Come hunting in Oregon where you will not get a shot under 200 yards period. Most likely 300 is the closest you will ever get because of steep canyons. You cant come above or from below because of angle and trees. Add wind, angle, nerves, snow, rain and you'll wish you had a a little more thump. My dear old dad used to head shoot all our deer with a .22, some from 100 yards out. So if you can make a perfect shot across canyon as mentioned above every time, I will bow in your presence, because I have hunted and guided many many people and seen very very few make a perfect shot that dropped a bull elk in in tracks without having a heavy, high energy bullet. I am not a perfect shot but shoot well, at 300yrds having to have to break a shoulder you may think about a heavier bullet.

There are so many correct answers. In the end what you shoot well is the best option. You may just need to be a little more picky on shooting when and where.

The 270 WSM is MORE than enough for a bull elk.

I shoot the caliber exclusively (it's the only centerfire rifle I own) and love it. I did not, however love Accubonds with it. Everything I shot with the Accubonds got blown up. The bullet could not hold together under those high velocities. Granted, most were <100 yards in the MN deer woods where a 30-30 is probably more appropriate.

I've shot Barnes the last 7 years and have been much more pleased with the results. A 140 grain TSX took multiple deer at various ranges and dropped a huge MN moose at 315 yards with no problems at all. My dad used the same 140 grain TSX load to shoot a big MN bull moose as well. I've since switched to 130 grain TTSX and have shot whitetails, wolves, mule deer, antelope, and elk with zero issues. I've never felt under gunned in the least.

If most of your shots are out there a ways the accubond is a tried and true bullet that will serve you well. I just seem to end up shooting animals closer for some reason. Even my average antelope shot has been under 100 yards. The elk I shot last year was probably 60 yards. I like to get every ounce of meat I can off of my animals so the copper bullets just made sense for me.

So if you can make a perfect shot across canyon as mentioned above every time, I will bow in your presence

Who crapped in your Corn Flakes?

Nobody. I have just done this a long time and seen lots of things. It is simply my opinion, take it and and and $4.00 and its worth a latte at Starbucks. Its like trying to debate "best caliber" or "best bullet" or clothes. Everyone has an opinion and most of them are all correct. I am simply stating that "looking at the operator" is not a fair statement. Elk are big tough animals and in my opinion if you can shoot it well go bigger. I have killed a dozen bulls in my life, some spikes some 340". They all die one of two ways, bleed to death and run out of oxygen or hit hard to put the body in shock and run out of oxygen. I have tracked bulls others have shot for miles. They can bleed a long ways with heart or lung shot or one broken shoulder if they are rutting. I shot a bull 3 years ago with my 300WM and 180gr at 334 yards and broke one shoulder, hit the heart , one lung and it ran down uphill over the crest and down the backside for 3/4 mile. It was a good shot.

Just my opinion. I do like corn flakes though.

Speed doesn't kill, energy does.

And what does energy equal?

There's guys on here killing elk with 140 AB fired from a 7mm-08 and long distances. The 270 WSM is an excellent round, as is the 30-06. Put either one where it counts and forget about the rest.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back