Caribou Gear

.270 WSM for Elk?

70Classic

Greetings All -

Any thoughts on the 270 WSM for Elk? There's a trip to Colorado in the works for 2006.
Be kind :D, I'm a newbie to the sight, but I don't take questionable shots and I usually hit where I aim. I was thinking of using the 140 gr. accubond or failsafe.

Thanks for your input.

Andy

Andy, depends on who you listen to. The many hunting publications are all over the map on caliber selection for elk. I'm in the process of rigging a 270 wsm to take to the mountains as a backup to a 300 wby. but wouldn't hesitate to use it as a primary if it shoots as well as I think it will. Your empahasis on shot placement is key and your bullet selections look ok to me. I personally like the accubonds and the barnes x.
What kind of rifle is your 270?

The rifle is a Win. M70 Sporter III topped by a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest. Having taken steps to cure its "Lawyer's Trigger," it's throwing sub-moa groups with the 140 Accubonds.

Andy

I would use Barnes Triple Shock 130s or 140s, but the Accubond or other premium bullet of 140 gr or up will do fine, always with good shot placement - which is needed for any round to be effective.

I just bought a Browning Mountain Ti in 270 WSM. That cartridge is plenty of gun for elk. I'm not saying larger diameter isn't better (if you can handle the recoil). Personally, I'd rather have a flatter shooting, lower recoil rifle than the 30 cal mags because I am more confident in putting the bullet in the right spot, especially on 300-400 yard shots.

Good point Chambero...your browning sounds like a good rig for mountain carry, especially walking...about 8 1/2 lbs total?...how's the recoil?

The gun just came in last week and my gunsmith has it to tune the trigger and mount my scope. Final weight should be a lot less than 81/2 pounds. The gun itself doesn't weight by 51/2. Final weight will probably be right around 7 or a little less. I suspect the recoil will be plenty, probably around what my old 7 mag put out. I'll let you know how I like it.

Recoil tables show about the same for 270 wsm and 7mm rem mag, around 19 lbs...my 300 wby shows about 25 lbs...feels like 35 but don't want the blast of a brake...have a 7mm ultra that tables show just over 29 lbs of recoil but it feels better than the 300 wby...

John Barsness has a great article titled Tough Game? in the most recent issue of Rifle magazine that covers this topic pretty well I think. In it he stated that shot placement is more important than kinetic energy, bullet size, etc. Worth the read IMO. His wife put a 140gr Triple Shock through both shoulders of a 5pt bull this year with a 270 Win. Your 270 WSM should more than be up to the task.

I don't think anybody would disagree that shot placement is more important. The problem is that there are a lot of poor shooters hunting big game. Some of us shoot thousands of rounds a year--some shoot three or four rounds just to make sure the old rig is on target. My point---the bigger calibers make the most of marginal hits.

man i tell you what, i have seen a elk drop with one well placed shot from a 110gr. from a 243. i have a 3oo wby and i am tired of stiff shoulders during hunting seaon because of the kick.. i have a KDF muzzlebreak that works really well but i am not lying when i say i would rather shot my custom made single shot .50 BMG then shoot my 300 wby.. sounds assnine i know but i have pics of my arm pits for proof.. i am a diehard 30.06 fan but i am going to the .270 pretty soon also...

Thanks for the input folks. I appreciate it greatly. I've got enough faith in my ability to put the shot where it needs to go, so I was more concerned with a quick, humane kill. Old whitetail hunters like me sometimes view the larger deer as almost bullet-proof, and if I go it'll likely be the only time, so I was glad to hear the positive comments about the 270wsm.

Andy,

Sorry to be late on the thread, but I did want to reassure you that your hunch that the 270wsm will be a nice mountain gun is spot on. I carry the 300wsm in the featherweight and it has become the gun I always reach for in the safe. My wife knows what I want for my birthday, and it will be the 270wsm in the same wonderful gun. I like the heavier 180s for Elk but how can one tell thousands of dead elk that the 150s weren't enough? LOL

The beauty of the WSM cartridges is that it really does dampen the recoil for the same round. I choose the wooden stock as it dampens even more and no need for a silly rubber pad to make the stock feel arkward. My 300 wsm shoots and feels no different than your garden variety 30.06 but with a little more range and the confidence to know your shot will be flat.

Go ahead...indulge yourself....you will be happy.

Cheers
Roadtrip

I have both a 300wsm and a 270wsm. I love them both. My plan is to set up the 300 to shoot heavy bullets (180 gr) and set up the 270 to shoot light bullets (130 gr). Then I can spend the rest of my day trying to decide which one to take on any given hunt. Both of these seem to trump my tried and true 280 Rem, sitting in the closet. It appears that I might have a little overlap in the deer/elk rifle department.

Not to self - check out the new 325 wsm, as you might need a bear rifle (just in case).

270wsm, 284 (280), and 300wsm...good caliber lineup... plus the 325wsm? sounds fine to me...heck, if we didn't need em, they wouldn't be makin' em

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back