.270 Winchester favorites?

I knocked a cow elk over with a 270 a couple of weeks ago. Its the first time I have used a 270 on an elk. I was impressed. I used Hornady's new 145 gr ELD-X. She was 290 yds mostly broadside with just a slight quarter away. I recovered the bullet just under the hide in the off shoulder. She didn't take a step, just dropped in her tracks.

View attachment 163687View attachment 163688
I was curious how these would work on Elk. My Tika shoots these sub moa. But only shot deer and antelope with them.

Reactions: NHS
Personally, have a 300wsm I use on elk w a 180g Ttx; no worries.my buddies uncle shoots tons w regular old core loct out of his 270. Skinned n qtrd a cow elk he wanted the hide, went in shoulder came out same side just past ribs. 270 is one hell of a round; ie Jack O’Connor, but use the rt bullet, correct range, rt placement. I have one n love it. For elk would stick w proven strong bullets!!!!

I used 140 gr accubonds this year in my 270. Killed a calf and a cow elk with them. The cow took two shots, but I am a firm believer in keep shooting until they stop moving.

I have shot 20 plus cows with a 6.8 O'Connor, various handloads 130 gr partition, 140 accubond and Barnes ( early type, behaved more like a solid, small exit wound) usually between 150-250 yards in our pastures, with proper bullet placement they never took more than a few steps if that. I liked the fact that only had a few exit as they are often stacked up in a bunch and i didn't want to kill one and wound one standing behind. Also used the 7X57 Mauser 145 gr grand slam, 7 mag with 150 gr partition, 308 165 gr grand slam, and all worked great and had almost identical terminal ballistics. Used to get up to 10 tags for depredation and brought the meat to the VOA shelter and the soup kitchen (anyone who helped butcher got to keep back strap and tenderloin). I think I would prefer one of the newer mono bullets in open country where I might not have an optimal shot and would like an exit for a better blood trail. I used the 160 gr original Nosler partition in the 270 to kill my first bull, check out the box and bullet, I think these were hand turned on a lathe in the early 50's.IMG_0115.JPG

Hornady 145 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter works for me. I Need to get into reloading.

With my .270 I have taken 5 elk (2 bulls, 3 cows) with the 150gr Federal Fusion in factory load. With this bullet, each elk dropped in it's tracks with only one shot, all between 100-350 yards away. One of them was even a clean pass through. Sort of surprised me with this being advertised as a "deer" bullet...

130 grain Barnes and 60 grains of H4831 shoots great, good luck in the draws this year.

My kid shoots 129 gr barnes XXX LRX at 2930 fps out of his 270. Very lethal every time under 400 yards.

Last edited:
Federal fusion 150 dropped a big moose in Idaho for a friend of mine. 300 yards as I recall. Then killed a bull elk. That was a 270 wsm but still impressive. Fusion or 130 grain power shok just flat kill. Power shok is 130 Gran Slam

Back